We Lost 3 Republic Lines This Week

I'm a lead mechanic at Embraer Aircraft Maintenance Services, Inc. (EAMS) in Nashville. It was announced officially, yesterday (although I'd heard through the grapevine night before last), that Republic has pulled 3 of the 5 heavy maintenance lines they had with us. These were B5 checks that take about a month. Embraer 170 commuter airliners (70 seats). CommutAir has also announced that they won't be bringing any more planes in after the one E-145 we're working is finished.

With the sharp dropoff in demand for air travel, the airlines' revenue stream has experienced a steep decline, to say the least. And, without revenue coming in, it's hard for them to justify keeping airplanes in service and paying us millions to do these checks. So they're parking a bunch of jets.

This leaves us with 2 SkyWest lines that are doing B1 and B2 checks (I work on those lines), and the 2 remaining Republic lines. But no one knows if we'll be able to keep those lines. Things seems to be changing hourly.

I'm hoping for the best, but trying to prepare myself for the worst. This is the worst event that has happened since I got my A&P and got into this field in 2012. I guess the last event of this magnitude for the airline industry was 9/11.

As of yesterday, no layoffs are planned. But, as I said, that could change at ANY time. Contractors would be the first to go. In the almost 7 years I've been with EAMS, there's only been one layoff event, and that was in 2014. Basically they picked the people who had lots of tardies, poor attendance, or just sucked for whatever reason, and got rid of them. So, for the time being, the other lines will absorb the guys from the lines that are being closed down. We'll have night shifts for some lines that didn't have night shifts before, etc. I'll get a few guys on my crew, which will be good in some ways. But, having that many guys on our line, we also might get the checks done so quickly that SkyWest might have trouble getting us replacement jets for a few days, meaning we won't have anything to do (in the industry, it's called, "working yourself out of a job").

Everything is fluid right now.

Other guys in aviation - how are y'all being affected? Hopefully no one's lost their job.

I'm in Aero consumables and went thru the 07-08 slowdown. While there may be a slowdown for now I fully expect that post PANIC the pendulum will swing the other way. Those planes may be parked but the demand will peak later as everyone tries to catch up. Humanity will not stay bottled up for long without TP. :)

Everything is slowing down. But I have been around long enough to know that things are going to pick up again. We just have to wait a little.

We're parking about 45% of our fleet, and have extended voluntary unpaid leave/early outs to our represented folks and some of the management and support staffs. We don't have any plans for staff reductions in my organization, but there's no telling what will have to happen in the coming weeks.

I'm the guy who pays to fly in those seats, the every week business traveler. All I can say while the eventual ramp up might be slow, there will be a lot of pent up travel demand once things are back up to speed.

I retired from USAir (now American). I was joking with my wife the other day that if I was still with USAir, I would have been there 30 years. I might even survive THIS layoff.

But seriously, I hope you guys are able to get through this till business picks up.

I am old 67 so the many friends that I have that worked at United Airlines at then SFO maintenance base are all retired. The Arline people I knew are all highly skilled and it is sad when there are lay offs.

My neighbor is a lead inspector at Embraer. We work together. I spoke with him this afternoon as I was finishing up my run. He informed me that all the contractors were just walked out today. Some just started last week.

Just canceled my flight through London … hotels everywhere are shutting down.
Lots of folks stuck overseas.

The runway 10/28 complex at Atlanta (the south side of the airport) is being turned into aircraft storage.

https://twitter.com/dougturnbull/status/1241126962917183489?s=21

[Linked Image]

That blue plane is a neos (Italy) 787-900 that came in from Marseille, France. The story behind it is here: https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/pa...anta-airport/KZJL3UZPCNFENEYFK5R6MZPT5M/

https://twitter.com/theaviationbeat/status/1241153023658864642?s=21

[Linked Image]

I work contract for a massive company (450k) employees and they ceased all Business travel. Can't imagine the impact to the airlines around the world and they are just one company not using commercial aviation.

My dad was an A&P mechanic for National and Pan Am for 30 years and dealt with the ups and downs, strikes, labor disputes, furloughs, etc.. I still have lots of memorabilia from both airlines.

During the last recession some left the industry for a career change. Same thing will happen this time.

Unfortunately things will get very bad in the aviation industry for many folks.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
My dad was an A&P mechanic for National and Pan Am for 30 years and dealt with the ups and downs, strikes, labor disputes, furloughs, etc.. I still have lots of memorabilia from both airlines.

During the last recession some left the industry for a career change. Same thing will happen this time.

Unfortunately things will get very bad in the aviation industry for many folks.

Yeah, but this is unprecedented.

The industry can't take this much longer.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I'm a lead mechanic at Embraer Aircraft Maintenance Services, Inc. (EAMS) in Nashville. It was announced officially, yesterday (although I'd heard through the grapevine night before last), that Republic has pulled 3 of the 5 heavy maintenance lines they had with us. These were B5 checks that take about a month. Embraer 170 commuter airliners (70 seats). CommutAir has also announced that they won't be bringing any more planes in after the one E-145 we're working is finished.

With the sharp dropoff in demand for air travel, the airlines' revenue stream has experienced a steep decline, to say the least. And, without revenue coming in, it's hard for them to justify keeping airplanes in service and paying us millions to do these checks. So they're parking a bunch of jets.

This leaves us with 2 SkyWest lines that are doing B1 and B2 checks (I work on those lines), and the 2 remaining Republic lines. But no one knows if we'll be able to keep those lines. Things seems to be changing hourly.

I'm hoping for the best, but trying to prepare myself for the worst. This is the worst event that has happened since I got my A&P and got into this field in 2012. I guess the last event of this magnitude for the airline industry was 9/11.

As of yesterday, no layoffs are planned. But, as I said, that could change at ANY time. Contractors would be the first to go. In the almost 7 years I've been with EAMS, there's only been one layoff event, and that was in 2014. Basically they picked the people who had lots of tardies, poor attendance, or just sucked for whatever reason, and got rid of them. So, for the time being, the other lines will absorb the guys from the lines that are being closed down. We'll have night shifts for some lines that didn't have night shifts before, etc. I'll get a few guys on my crew, which will be good in some ways. But, having that many guys on our line, we also might get the checks done so quickly that SkyWest might have trouble getting us replacement jets for a few days, meaning we won't have anything to do (in the industry, it's called, "working yourself out of a job").

Everything is fluid right now.

Other guys in aviation - how are y'all being affected? Hopefully no one's lost their job.

As a retired A&P with heavy MRO experience, I feel for you brother.

It is sad because the A&Ps, pilots and the rest of the people it takes to run the business takes so much skill and talent.

I'm an A&P working for a certain engine manufacturer who just announced it will be laying off 10% of it's aviation workforce. The money is decent and I like most of the people here but I can tell you if the axe falls on myself or any of the people I directly work with, more than half will not be coming back if offered the chance. Sick of the nonstop doom and gloom, constant uncertainty, and the whole industry in general.

I have a feeling my group will be marched out of here very soon. Figures, just bought a new house last year and a new car four weeks ago. I could pay off the car in cash but I think I'm going to need that money because who knows if or when I'll be employed again.

Some of the most skilled mechanics I ever knew were in the service, then moved on to the private industry. I was an a/c mechanic in the USCG in the late 70s, early 80s and it was a difficult job to learn. I hope you get back to work soon.

Last edited:
Back