bought a pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is any caliber that horrifies me that somebody would carry FMJs in it's.380 ACP.

Might as well try to disable a person by stabbing them with an ice pick until you run out of ammo.

Shoot a guy and he might die, of septic shock a week later.

BSW

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
If there is any caliber that horrifies me that somebody would carry FMJs in it's.380 ACP.

Might as well try to disable a person by stabbing them with an ice pick until you run out of ammo.

BSW

C'mon over my house and I will horrify you-then. Just don't throw-up on my carpet when you see my Glock 42 mag loaded with Fiocchi or American Eagle FMJs.

BSW

800fps is 545mph. a 22lr round is a single icepick. a 380acp round is three icepicks wrapped together. solidly stabbing a miscreant between the nipples and the knees several times with even a single 545mph icepick is bound to give a lawabiding civilian an opportunity to get off the x. o.p. got a brand name handgun chambered in a reliable centerfire round. 380acp, or 9x17mm, is softer shooting and thus more accurate than 9x19mm. fmj ammo is generally a more reliable feed in most semiauto pistols, is lawful in all states and anecdotally more helpful to the good guy in a defensive shooting court proceeding if facing an anti gun prosecutor, than more exotic defense ammo. o.p. did well.

Originally Posted by marine65
I just bought my first pistol.
I get to pick it up tomorrow after the 3 day back round check wait.
I chose this one because I'm old and have trouble operating the slide on full size semis.
I got it for home defense and target shooting.
I know a shot gun is best for defense but I live in an apartment and that just didn't seem right.
I thought about revolvers but they are a couple hundred more.
Anybody have or had one?
Any opinions?
Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 Semi-Auto Pistol with FDE Frame

I've shot it. I think you did perfectly fine given the limitations (slide difficulty you have, plus price point you desired.)
Consider a jacketed hollow point like the Gold Dot, Federal HydraShok or Hornady XTP. Outside of those three, I'd go with ball.
For all the talk here of pistol v. shotgun v. rifle for home defense and the .380 not being enough bullet, first answer is shot placement, which comes with training. Familiarize yourself with that gun and learn to run it well, you'll be miles ahead of the internet experts.

BSW

Problem I have with JHPs in a .380 is possibly not having enough penetration. Although I've read that hollowpoints that are designed not to expand much (like the XTP) may do OK.

I don't think there's any question that .380 is on the low end of what's considered adequate for defense.

Personally, in the winter time, if all I had was a .380, especially, when an attacker is likely to be wearing heavy clothing, I'd take my chances with FMJ and rely on shot placement.

Originally Posted by Astro14
You can load and shoot out of the box, but I would field strip it, clean the bore, and then put a drop of oil on each lug, and a drop around the barrel, a drop on the locking lug, then shoot it. Standard sort of pistol lube.

I'm not certain what S&W does at the factory anymore. All of my S&W pistols are more than 25 years old...

But usually, they're oiled for corrosion prevention, not lubrication, and you really want to both clean the barrel/bore itself of any oil, as well as ensure that it's properly lubricated for shooting, not storage.

Yes, and the field strip/reassembly on that gun will be easy.

Well finally my back round check was done today.
The $329 gun went on sale for $299.
I got $20 off for using my Bass Pro Shop card.
Net cost $289 plus tax.
They also had a truck load of all ammo delivered today.
Limit of 200 rounds so I got 200.
Side note the display gun was hard to engage the safety,my gun it's really easy?

Originally Posted by marine65
Well finally my back round check was done today.
The $329 gun went on sale for $299.
I got $20 off for using my Bass Pro Shop card.
Net cost $289 plus tax.
They also had a truck load of all ammo delivered today.
Limit of 200 rounds so I got 200.
Side note the display gun was hard to engage the safety,my gun it's really easy?

well done marine65! as i described earlier my only experience with your s&w bodyguard 380acp was 50+ rounds in a shooting range rental handgun several months ago. as a rental it was well broken in, and ran smoothly and flawlessly, including the safety. buy some ballistol (among many other lube options as you will be dutifully i formed here on bitog), and look at some utube videos, then field strip and clean it and befriend it, just as the marines taught. many semiauto pistols need 100+ break in rounds. when you go back for cleaning gear try to get more ammo, fmj ball that uncle sam issued to us years ago is fine. next up is shooting range time, your ccw permit and a decent holster. enjoy!

Originally Posted by jstert
im a revolver guy and no recoil junkie. when i rented and test fired a bunch of 380acp semiauto pistols 6 months ago the s&w bodyguard ended up high on my list: accurate, no harsh recoil, very handy (out of that group i chose a s&w shield ez 380acp, but that is another tale). the important thing here and now is that o.p. is now lawfully and peaceably armed, congratulations!

i'm not seeing a run on 380acp ammo. fmj ball ammo is perfectly fine, though i would avoid cheap russian steel case ammo for now. a pistol is much easier to practice alot with than a shotgun. a shotgun maybe fine for larger home protection if you already have alot of shotgun time by way of hunting or sporting clays. an older gentleman in an apartment is much better served with a handgun that is in his pocket when he answers the door or in his car glovebox (if legal there) than a shotgun stashed in the closet. please get in some range time and do get a ccw permit as soon as feasible: you are probably safer at home than when out and about.

I bought a 1/2 case of Selier&Belliot. 380 ball ammo about 3 years ago. Not good stuff. Still have a bit but my Thunder. 380 is in for warranty repair for next few weeks. Hopefully they get it right this time.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I usually recommend one of these 2 pistols to those that have weak hands;
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-0
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-ez-manual-thumb-safety

Not a single pistol in those pictured, has the same rear sight on it.
The one in the left-rear of the pic, has the large box, stand-up orangey-colored sight. What the heck kind of pistol sight is that... laser?

It's called reflex or holographic sight.
Look through the little window, see the dot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back