TDI Passat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding was that the ALH injectors were not that bad on cost. I did like the smooth power delivery of the PD--although once the flywheel broke, I took the opportunity to put in a bigger clutch, and then the turbo went right after that--so a bigger one went in, with a tune,and boy did I love that car after that.
smile.gif

I thought 300k was the new norm now? 200k being the new 100k, those of us who do >30k/year are going to expect a trouble-free 10 year / 300k ownership.

I love the idea of a highway-mileage-eater like the Jetta or Passat diesel. But I'd ONLY have one with the manual. AND I'd be scared of reliability and parts costs.

And they're slow as heck, aren't they? I mean, currently the fiancee and I take our road trips in her 2018 Civic HB with the 1.5T/6MT. It's 174 HP. I think published 0-60 time is mid-to-high 6-second range, and I consider that to be only just adequate. And that's with no passengers or cargo.

I believe these VW diesels are quite a bit slower.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I love the idea of a highway-mileage-eater like the Jetta or Passat diesel. But I'd ONLY have one with the manual. AND I'd be scared of reliability and parts costs.

And they're slow as heck, aren't they? I mean, currently the fiancee and I take our road trips in her 2018 Civic HB with the 1.5T/6MT. It's 174 HP. I think published 0-60 time is mid-to-high 6-second range, and I consider that to be only just adequate. And that's with no passengers or cargo.

I believe these VW diesels are quite a bit slower.

Sounds about right, although I've NEVER owned anything that fast.
lol.gif
I mean, going by C&D my truck might have broken a 9 second 0-60, the rest are worse.

Thing is, outside of some on-ramps, I rarely accelerate that fast. Heck, when my TDi blew its turbo, I kept driving (didn't know that was the issue). Have to figure, its 100hp was down to maybe 40. I WAS STILL OUT-ACCELERATING PEOPLE LEAVING THE TOLL BOOTH!

0-60 in 6 seconds was M3/S4 territory 10-15 years ago. That is more than acceptable for most driving. If you want speed, step up in engine size.

Originally Posted by Audios
0-60 in 6 seconds was M3/S4 territory 10-15 years ago. That is more than acceptable for most driving. If you want speed, step up in engine size.

Dude, it's 2020.

Dude, it's 2020.

You would still struggle to get away from Passat. Thing is, TDI has a torque, a bunch of it.
0-60 is the most ridiculous measurement for everyday driving, even everyday aggressive driving.

Right now our freeways are full of big boxes hauling small boxes.
They stay in that RH lane and you need 30-75 MPH attitude for a short S curved on ramp.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Right now our freeways are full of big boxes hauling small boxes.
They stay in that RH lane and you need 30-75 MPH attitude for a short S curved on ramp.

It's all about that.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Dude, it's 2020.

You would still struggle to get away from Passat. Thing is, TDI has a torque, a bunch of it.
0-60 is the most ridiculous measurement for everyday driving, even everyday aggressive driving.

Nah, I don't think so. The Passat TDI only had 150 HP/236 lb-ft.

That equates to a 0-60 acceleration time of 9.8 seconds, and 1/4-mile of 17.2 seconds at a blazing 78 mph for the 2015 Passat TDI with the 6-speed manual, as tested by Car & Driver:

https://autotk.com/0-60-times/volkswagen/passat/

Dude, it's 2020.

Quick question:
How is the TDI Passat and the gas Passat in 0-35 or 0-45? Hills and curves.

My Mazda5 2.5L NA is kind of slow, and I have to giv'er 3-3.5k RPM

Just curious. Thank you

Dude, it's 2020.

Nah, I don't think so. The Passat TDI only had 150 HP/236 lb-ft.

That equates to a 0-60 acceleration time of 9.8 seconds, and 1/4-mile of 17.2 seconds at a blazing 78 mph for the 2015 Passat TDI with the 6-speed manual, as tested by Car & Driver:

https://autotk.com/0-60-times/volkswagen/passat/

Try it and see.
Get your gf in Civic behind you on ramp when you need to merge on interstate, you will be long gone.

Originally Posted by pandus13

Dude, it's 2020.

Quick question:
How is the TDI Passat and the gas Passat in 0-35 or 0-45? Hills and curves.

My Mazda5 2.5L NA is kind of slow, and I have to giv'er 3-3.5k RPM

Just curious. Thank you

Gas turbo is OK, although tamed down in Passat.
Diesel is going to obliterate both gas and Mazda 2.5. Unless we are talking older Passat with EA113 or CC with 1st gen. EA888 2.0T.

I purchased a 2013 Golf TDI about a year and a half ago. Put ~20K miles on it, 83K now, love it.

I'm in MN and it starts right up, even sitting outside in the winter. I did have one issue last winter where it wouldn't start, that was due to a weak battery. Replaced with a OEM battery and no more issues this winter.

The DSG can take a bit to get used to. It can be jerky if you don't drive it like a manual which is essentially what it is at heart. It takes a few seconds for the clutches to feather smoothly when you start out and can get clunky in traffic, nature of the beast. However, it has lightning fast shifts and is fun to drive VS a conventional auto IMO. t is also fairly easy to service. The filter is on top under the battery box. You can do a drain, measure and fill every 40K. I did my first at 80K over the summer.

Oil changes are easy too. You'll just need some VW specific hex sizes and wrenches. Not hard, just different. I buy the service kits from FCP Euro or ECS Tuning.

Overall I think they are fun cars to own, drive and tinker on if you like that sort of thing. They are not a Toyota Camry, you will have more issues. Mine has been in the shop one time for a O2 sensor issue and most recently has a wiring issue in the tail light assembly I need to take it in for. Still love it. IMO they are nicer cars ( both in interior quality, features and overall build quality) and have a more engaging driving experience than a vanilla commuter. This being said, mine was built in Germany, not sure about the Mexico VW's.

One last thing. They do take quite a while to produce good cabin heat in the winter. Get a coolant heater like a Frost Heater brand kit, worth the ~$160.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back