Thoughts on remoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I in search for a good oil to clean my guns. I have used rem oil in the past and it worked ok. Curious to see what others are using. I would like to stick withing the same price range.

Not bad as a cleaner (it's nearly half solvent in terms of composition), average at best as a lubricant, a bit on the lacking side as a long-term protectant.
There are better CLP products. That said, if you clean and inspect regularly, it should get the job done.

Originally Posted by MGF1964
Not bad as a cleaner (it's nearly half solvent in terms of composition), average at best as a lubricant, a bit on the lacking side as a long-term protectant.
There are better CLP products. That said, if you clean and inspect regularly, it should get the job done.

^^^
This.
As a cleaner it is pretty good, but as a lube it isn't. Once all the solvent evaporates very little oil is left behind, and that oil isn't that great as a lubricant or protectant.
I still use rem-oil as a cleaner, but follow it up with a different lube. Lots of good ones out there.

Rem Oil is just too thin and doesn't last as a lube or protectant on firearms - best used on electric hair clipper blades .
Break Free CLP or MPro - 7 would be a huge leap in quality over Rem Oil !

I use Remoil to wipe down my tools after use. I live in a humid area, and rust is an issue. It works pretty well for that...

I don't use it on firearms.

Originally Posted by Boomer
G-96

Ditto. Always have it on my bench.
CLPs are a compromise, but this is a great one, IMO. Really shines as a protectant, and the pleasant smell is a bonus.

Rem oil is pretty thin so I use it when I want a light lube. There is a YT video somewhere that shows Rem Oil does really well at crazy cold temps compared to some of the others. Might be pertinent if you hunt in Canada.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
I in search for a good oil to clean my guns. I have used rem oil in the past and it worked ok. Curious to see what others are using. I would like to stick withing the same price range.

Depends on your guns - depends on how you use your guns - depends on where you use your guns - depends on how you store your guns - depends on where you store your guns - depends on your needs of that gun (ie.... policeman)...... etc.

For some folks, sewing machine oil, 3 in One oil, mineral oil, Hoppes...Rem-Oil works just fine. If you decide to go cheap, check those guns often for corrosion / rust. Make sure they do not jam (due to cheap oil), when you need them most....ie... a 10pt buck standing right in front of you on Opening Day of Hunting.

I use CLP Break Free most of the time. I grew up in the deep south where most of my elders used 3 in 1 Oil, a few used Outers gun oil. They also used either one of these on fishing reels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back