Owner of newer BWM cycles, do you use the BMW Syn oil made by Shell?

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
I am awaiting arrival of my new Beemer F900XR. It is speced in 5w-40 flavor is SL/Jaso 2 rated. It is oil made by Shell from Natural Gas and is price competitive with other Top Shelf syn oils for motorcycles. After break in the oils are used for the 6000 miles service intervals. Just wondering if you use it and if you like it.
Thanks

Last edited:
NADA!!! dealer oils are overpriced + just good enough with better oils at comparable prices. use what meets the spec + keep records for the warranty. BMW branded filters are a similar ripoff!!

I negotiate the first service in the purchase price. If you have a claim it is good insurance and you dealer will work for you. It is not necessary. I just do it. After that I order Maile filters (they make the OE) from some of the on line vendors. I have had recalls nut never a warranty claim.

Rod

Last edited:
I let the dealer do the first service on both our '15 S1000RR and '20 S1000RR M. They used the factory recommended oil at the first service. Since then they've both been running Motul 300V 4T.

The Panigale V4 Speciale also had the first service done by the same dealer, using the recommended Shell oil. Since then it's also running Motul 300V 4T.

You can get this at your local Walmart.

BBC024C9-E026-46E5-B481-0ACBBEC554CA.jpeg

Mobil 4T Motocycle oil.PNG

Mobil 4T Oil specs.PNG

Last edited:
Shell Rotella 5W40 Jaso rated, I use it in the bike, diesel tractor, and new diesel truck. When I had BMW bike's it's the only oil I used.

A wet clutch in a BMW is blasphemous......

Old timers like me, riding older BMWs, have a much easier time finding a suitable oil....

[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of the bike I have coming. The bike in the pic was the dealer stripper demo. I added $1500 in options.
This bike is getting excellent User not only fan boy dealer reviews.

Trading in my 1991 R100gs that I have owned since new. Lots of good memories but at 30 years old it is getting that old feel. I got over $4000 in trade. I know the dealer wants it for a trophy and will spend tons of money to make it a garage queen. Not me. Time for something modern. Looking forward to cruise control and other modern things like traction control, ABS even in the curves, TFT display, phone integration. Thought about a new R1250 of some sort but they feel ponderous. It is more bike than I want to manhandle at age 65.

20200305_132454 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
NADA!!! dealer oils are overpriced + just good enough with better oils at comparable prices. use what meets the spec + keep records for the warranty. BMW branded filters are a similar ripoff!!

Please explain in more detail, with data to support it. What Beemer do you ride?

Originally Posted by Hermann
[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of the bike I have coming. The bike in the pic was the dealer stripper demo. I added $1500 in options.

Trading in my 1991 R100gs that I have owned since new. Lots of good memories but at 30 years old it is getting that old feel. I got over $4000 in trade. I know the dealer wants it for a trophy and will spend tons of money to make it a garage queen. Not me. Time for something modern. Looking forward to cruise control and other modern things like traction control, ABS even in the curves, TFT display, phone integration. Thought about a new R1250 of some sort but they feel ponderous. It is more bike than I want to manhandle at age 65.

Beautiful! Apples and oranges I know, but I use BMW oils and filters in all my Bimmers and Mini- and it's taken several past 140k for little-if any-additional cost over other brand/filters.
Of course this is BITOG, so you are perhaps better served by opinions from those who have never sat in a Bimmer or on a Beemer.

Originally Posted by ammolab
A wet clutch in a BMW is blasphemous......

Old timers like me, riding older BMWs, have a much easier time finding a suitable oil....

Been thinking about this for 2K intervals for that silky smooth clutch.
grin.gif
cool.gif

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvolin...-Conventional-Motor-Oil-1-Quart/16879749

I run that same oil in a Hayabusa and XSR900. No complaints with shifting or clutch operation.

Originally Posted by MCompact
[Linked Image]

Beautiful! Apples and oranges I know, but I use BMW oils and filters in all my Bimmers and Mini- and it's taken several past 140k for little-if any-additional cost over other brand/filters.
Of course this is BITOG, so you are perhaps better served by opinions from those who have never sat in a Bimmer or on a Beemer.

Loved your last sentence. There are a few FF individuals whose word is final around here you know.

It's not about the $15 extra per oil change using BMW's premium syn. It's about "Is this oil as good as say Motul's or BelRay's best syn Motorcycle oil" in a 5w-40 SL/Jaso MA2 oil.

The reason I gave some thought to the Valvoline dino is changing it out every 2k for a continuously silky smooth clutch engagement. Back in the early 80's, Pennzoil GT performance motorcycle oil was good for about 1500 miles before the engagement slip started to occur. By the time you do 3 times as many OCI's you're nearly at the cost of the boutique oils. OTOH will the syn's give good performance out to 6K. Unique in that this "New" bike uses a cable actuated clutch.

This is my retirement present to me. I saved regularly a small amount from each check for 15 yrs for a retirement toy. I had other ideas for this money but it didn't pan out. They are still sitting on the "Bullitt Mustang" they wanted to bend me over on last summer. There are about 30 unsold Bullitt's in the KC area.

Last edited:

This is my retirement present to me. I saved regularly a small amount from each check for 15 yrs for a retirement toy. I had other ideas for this money but it didn't pan out. They are still sitting on the "Bullitt Mustang" they wanted to bend me over on last summer. There are about 30 unsold Bullitt's in the KC area.

That was my experience in 2008; I was considering buying a new Bullitt, but the local dealer laughed and scratched when I mentioned X-Plan(their Bullitt Mustangs were wearing $10K ADM stickers.
Ten months later the same Bullitt was nailed to the showroom floor and they were frantically emailing me with offers of employee pricing and rebates. I wished them a Very Merry Chapter 13.

The reason I gave some thought to the Valvoline dino is changing it out every 2k for a continuously silky smooth clutch engagement.

It will most likely go more than 2000 miles.

Back