Green grease for a big Excavator slew bearing

I saw some kind of waterproof grease called green degrees supposed to be pretty good I thinking about using it.

Does it mix well ? Any good for heavy Equipment

Mystik JT6 is cheap and available most everywhere. Excellent washout resistance and rated GC-LB.

Mystik is less than $3

Green Grease is $9

Ive used both.

Originally Posted by BigRich954
I saw some kind of waterproof grease called green degrees supposed to be pretty good I thinking about using it.

Does it mix well ? Any good for heavy Equipment

Assuming you are talking about the Green Grease in the link above - the MSDS says it uses a lithium complex thickener, so it should be compatible with most other greases. Check your operators manual to see what type of grease is recommended, and what the greasing procedure is - some manufactures want you to rotate the cab after you grease the zerks, then grease them again.

"Green Grease" would not be my first choice for an excavator. I am sure it would be fine for the swing bearing, but there are less expensive (and easily available) greases that will work fine for the swing bearing also. A calcium or aluminum complex grease with moly would be a better choice for the pins.

I use a Schaeffers 238 grease for the pins.

But I was told do not use a Moly grease for the slew bearing and I don't know what would be good because it needs a extreme pressure grease

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigRich954
I use a Schaeffers 238 grease for the pins.

But I was told do not use a Moly grease for the slew bearing and I don't know what would be good because it needs a extreme pressure grease

238 is an excellent grease for the pins. I agree that a moly grease is not needed for the slew bearing, and some manufactures may not want it in there. You could always call Schaeffer and see what they think.

The green grease should work well for the slew bearing, but if you want something less expensive the Mystik JT-6 High Temp grease mentioned above is a good choice.

What is the machine make and model. Is it or any slewing system components still under warranty? If yes, then you probably should follow OEM recommendations. Are the slewing bearing and gear teeth lubricated with the same lubricant or do the gear teeth use a separate compound. Does the OEM recommend moly for the bearing grease? Often 3-5% is recommended but no more than 5% or rolling element sliding may occur.

Back