9mm vs. .40 s&w

.40 makes a bigger BOOM.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
.40 smith & winchester.

Custom collaboration between two companies?

Let me guess at the question and at the same time toss in a 3rd round. Because I am curious also.
What is the real-world effective differences between 9mm, 40 S&W (the Wesson version LOL) and 380?

.40 S&W has lost much popularity because of the FBI and modern ammo shortening the gap in performance between 9mm and .40.
I would think .40 S&W is still a better defense round. Many law enforcement agencies across the United States traded in their .40 cal pistols for 9mm because of the FBI.
I watched an old .40 Smith & Wesson promotional video a year ago on Youtube which is very interesting. I cant find it.
There are a few idiots on Youtube that spout their hate for .40 S&W saying crap like many guns chambered in .40 were originally designed for 9mm and it will wear out.....
True in some cases, but who cares. I wouldn't buy a new .40 S&W pistol today, but at the same time, I hope the caliber doesn't keep getting lower take rates in new gun sales.

I haven't ever seen anything that convinced me that using good ammo there is any significant difference between 9mmP, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

.380 ACP on the other hand is either barely adequate or barely inadequate.

BSW

Originally Posted by Geauxtiger
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
.40 smith & winchester.

Custom collaboration between two companies?

Let me guess at the question and at the same time toss in a 3rd round. Because I am curious also.
What is the real-world effective differences between 9mm, 40 S&W (the Wesson version LOL) and 380?

The S& Winchester is better.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
The USP 40 is Da Pistol for 40 S&W.

I totally agree with that statement. The USP in .40 is pretty pleasant to shoot, although it is pretty bulky.

BSW

Skyactive, that was a very good video, although I almost gave up on it early on. Showed pretty convincingly the .40 is a more effective round.
The elephant in the room is the real reason the FBI and police departments are turning in their .40s for 9mm. Although lower cost for weapons (9mm guns last for many more rounds in a lot of the choices) and ammo cost makes a bit of a difference, I suspect the real reason for the switch is the fact that most women do better with the lighter round. And since we are forbidden to suggest there is a difference between the sexes, the change over is attributed to more effective 9mm ammo. This is my opinion only and being a .45 ACP affectionatto I have no dog in the fight.

Better bullet designs being available in 9mmP is probably more important than PC run amok.

And everyone shoots a lower recoiling round better than one with more recoil, not just women.

BSW

Thx for the video Skyactiv! That pretty much answered my questions. I have a Glock 22 in 40 S&W and always wondered how it compared to the 9mm. Never really enough wondering to do any research tho LOL.

for the average person 9mm is a good round. even better these days with the new bullet styles. i have a couple of 40's and in a heavy gun like my STI 2011 its easy to shoot. my glock 23 not so much. i don't know how people shoot it in a little gun like a shield

these days its 9mm for me. i shoot close to 20k 9mm a year in competition. brass is easy to find and cheap. with the police depts going away from the 40 sw , 40 brass is going to get harder to find for free.

40 is a bigger bullet so less chance of missing
smile.gif

I started buying 40's when everybody else started selling them. I picked up a couple of really nice used guns for <$300. Many police agencies still use them, including Kentucky State Police so empty brass for reloading is still cheap.

Back