Who Makes Harvest King? AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK-- Last time this was posted, it was the general consensus (and I was a participant) that HK was Warren Oil (not WPP), then Citgo, and lately (with the change of bottles) Warren Oil again. Mid-States Distributing as listed as the distributor on the label, and I emailed through their portal asking sourcing but no response.

However-- if I Google I get this on the api.org website:

Company Name: Midco Distributing LLC
Corporate Address:
1370 MENDOTA HEIGHTS RD

MENDOTA HEIGHTS, MN, 55120-1281, United States

License Status: Active
License Number: 3428
Original License Issue Date: 24-Jan-2018
License Effective Date: 01-Apr-2020
License Expiration Date: 31-Mar-2021

Each of the Harvest King variants is listed on the web site. I was unable to get in through api.org without a password and didn't want to give you the huge address for the Google search but this comes up. The previous consensus that it was Citgo, then Warren Oil was based on bottle shape. The latest variation closely resembles the Warren Oil bottle.

Here is the web site for Midco Lubricants. Appears to be a blender.

http://midcolube.com/

The bottle has a Dexos License #D125AAAC334 that did not show up on the Dexos database (last time I checked on the previous post on this subject).

So Midcolube???

Midco could quite possibly be one of their blenders but that doesn't mean they are Harvest King's only blender.

Farm and Home stores, as well as others, contract with various blenders to produce lubricants with their Branded labels.

Is there a quality or performance issue with Harvest King that concerns you?

1. When you Google in to the API site, Midco Distributing is listed as the only source for Harvest King, although given the inability to get directly into the API site without a password, I'm not sure of that.
2. I doubt if they just made up a Dexos licensing number. My guess would be that the Dexos list is out of date, although the whole thing is very strange. Always remember that QT gas would come and go from the Top Tier list (someone forgot to send in the check?).
3. Midco Distributing it and has the API license, but Mid States Distributing is on the bottle label??????]
4. I have few doubts about HK, since I'm mixing it into my Valvoline when I ad.
5. Midco Distributing could use a new web developer. Has a real 1998 look. At least they don't have flames coming off of a logo.

Last edited:
Recent Oil Analysis on Harvest King synthetic came out very good. Lots of folks are optimistically interested in this thread.
Might be a great time to invest in Warren Oil.
Wait --...... never mind / disregard that during this month.

One possibility is they just formulated this recently, had it tested against the Dexos test suite, and since it was tested only recently, it hasn't made it to the GM Dexos list.

I have two formulations for two different blenders that are currently awaiting Dexos tests. Once those tests pass, the documentation is sent to GM, but GM also has to verify the data before it is added to their list. The wheels turn slowly.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
What constitutes recently? Not saying you are wrong. However, I have some with that very number that I bought last summer, IIRC.

We had a thread here in October 2019: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/1/main/316718/type/thread

Still, it could be updated every 6 months or even yearly.

Or, as suggested, it could be an older number, but I'd expect the Internet Wayback Machine to find that license number if it were an old, expired value.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
One possibility is they just formulated this recently, had it tested against the Dexos test suite, and since it was tested only recently, it hasn't made it to the GM Dexos list.

I have two formulations for two different blenders that are currently awaiting Dexos tests. Once those tests pass, the documentation is sent to GM, but GM also has to verify the data before it is added to their list. The wheels turn slowly.
coffee2.gif

Mid-States Distributing Company of Fort Worth owns trademark for Harvest King:

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/mid-states-distributing-company-inc-46098/

https://msdist.com/

MidCo Distributing - (first post) of Minnesota owns licensing for Harvest King

Midco Lube -- of Rockford, IL is a blend house. This came up when I Googled MidCo Distributing, but it very well may be a totally different operation with no connection to MidCo Distributing, in which case the original supposition of Warren Oil (based on bottle shape) might still be valid. I give up-- who knows???

I think Midco is the farm store supply house for many farm & home chains-like Rural King, Orscheln's, Family Farm & Home, even Blain's. I would be a little surprised if they blended motor oil too. Can you post the date code on the bottom, or the UPC code off the jug? The SDS/MSDS is usually a good way to clear these questions up (although not always). I find it hard to believe they would risk a lawsuit by advertising Dexos if it wasn't licensed.

The bottom of the quart has a #2 recycling code, what looks like a flying W and U letters touching and W02B. UPC code is 17037 02074. Ink stamp directly on container above label: 5211 26 9232 09:39 -- imagine that's a date code. I think I made the mistake of linking the blend house in Rockford to the operation because they were both Midco.

Originally Posted by csandste
The bottom of the quart has a #2 recycling code, what looks like a flying W and U letters touching and W02B. ...
Which is exactly what's on the bottom of the RK oil bottles I bought at Rural King in 2015, except that these have "W15B" where you have the "W02B." The label specifically states "Packaged by Warren Oil, Inc."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by csandste
The bottom of the quart has a #2 recycling code, what looks like a flying W and U letters touching and W02B. ...
Which is exactly what's on the bottom of the RK oil bottles I bought at Rural King in 2015, except that these have "W15B" where you have the "W02B." The label specifically states "Packaged by Warren Oil, Inc."

So last fall's thread was correct. It shifted from Citgo back to Warren Oil, and the Google hit on the Rockford blender "Midco" was just a wild goose chase. That makes me feel better, since the Rockford's operation had a scary, amateurish web site. Now I can rest assured driving with my Warren Oil add-in's, if I had any place to drive to (guess that makes it a virus subject and lockable).

Since this comes up every six months or so, in summary:

Midco Lubricants in Rockford is a blend house and has nothing to do with this.

Mid States Distribution has offices in Fort Worth and Mendota, MN ( Midco Distributing) as both trademark rights (Mid States Distribution) and API licensing (Midco).

The trademark Harvest King dates back more than fifty years, but Midco sold oil under Rural King in the past. Rural King store oil is now back to being labeled Harvest King and is available at numerous farm stores. Mid States Distribution sells all sorts of stuff to many different rural stores and has full control of product.

Their oil was produced by Warren Oil (not WPP), then Citgo (had Citgo type bottles) and then Warren Oil again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back