Honda to halt production for 6 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda will suspend production for six days beginning March 23, with current plans to return to production on Tuesday, March 31. Honda transmission and engine plants in North America that serve Honda auto plants also will suspend production for the same time period. Honda will reduce production by approximately 40,000 vehicles during these six days.

I personally don't think it has much to do with the taboo subject. I drove by a Honda dealer last Sunday and couldn't believe all the new Honda's they have parked in a field along U.S. 33 at the Honda dealer in Marysville, OH.
They have 105 Pilots in stock and 78 Odysseys. I think U.S. Honda sales are on the decline.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Honda will suspend production for six days beginning March 23, with current plans to return to production on Tuesday, March 31. Honda transmission and engine plants in North America that serve Honda auto plants also will suspend production for the same time period. Honda will reduce production by approximately 40,000 vehicles during these six days.

I personally don't think it has much to do with the taboo subject. I drove by a Honda dealer last Sunday and couldn't believe all the new Honda's they have parked in a field along U.S. 33 at the Honda dealer in Marysville, OH.
They have 105 Pilots in stock and 78 Odysseys. I think U.S. Honda sales are on the decline.

Global new car sales have been declining for the past few years. VW recently acknowledged their sales have been slowing.

7 million people in the USA are 90+ days late on their vehicle loan.

Not everybody buys a new vehicle when they are tight on money. Recession that is right around the corner will kill sales. You will soon see 0% loan for 120 months.

Makes good sense to shut down production while that of which we shall not speak runs its course. There will be supply chain problems arising very soon and displaced workers are concerned with other things than buying cars.

The USA (along with a few other insignificant small countries) is an outlier in terms of vehicles per capita:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita

There is plenty of room for vehicles per capita to fall to even the levels of Canada (for example). And hard times mean that people find ways to keep vehicles in service longer to extract greater value from the asset. So manufacturing of vehicles could be in the gutter for years to come.

There was an article a few weeks ago that Dodge / Jeep / Chrysler dealers were very unhappy that factory wasn't slowing production down and dealers were being forced to accept unwanted inventory.

Maybe the same for this Honda dealer in Ohio ?

It's gonna get very bad very soon.

With the exception of Subaru-there is probably plenty of inventory to draw down from. Subaru's inventory on many models is right around 30ish days.

All those fields of new cars are bought on borrowed money, so closing production might help dealers move the debt off the lot. Same here I see these huge lots full of 40k vehicles and wonder who is buying all those. Almost all is bought on borrowed money.

Just recently, information came out that Ford will temporarily close the factories in Europe for several weeks and earlier today Volkswagen also decided that the factories in several countries will be closed, including in Germany, Portugal, Spain and Slovakia.

Audi closes several factories in Germany, Belgium and Hungary. Seat closes in Spain and Skoda in the Czech Republic. Lamborghini in Italy has also closed the factory.

The same goes for Toyota, the PSA Group with Peugeot, Citroën and Opel, Renault, Fiat / Chrysler and Ferrari.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
All those fields of new cars are bought on borrowed money, so closing production might help dealers move the debt off the lot. Same here I see these huge lots full of 40k vehicles and wonder who is buying all those. Almost all is bought on borrowed money.

True-whether you agree with the concept of borrowing money or not for a vehicle purchase.

Many of us don't wish to buy a 100,000 miles plus car in hopes it making it another 200,000 miles . I understand reaching 300,000 miles is considered the pinnacle of "automotive excellence" on BITOG.

Last edited:
Six days is peanuts.
It's going to take longer than six weeks, for autoworkers to feel somewhat safe interacting in factories and consumer confidence to stop sliding south with their money.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Six days is peanuts.
It's going to take longer than six weeks, for autoworkers to feel somewhat safe interacting in factories and consumer confidence to stop sliding south with their money.

Yes I don't understand this kind of action. There is no way this will be over in a week, or even months.

Although I do see that most non-essential businesses will probably shut down soon.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I see more Hondas on the road than any other brand.

What Texas do you live in? While Honda is very popular....Fullsize trucks dominate by a wide margin.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Isn't public transportation more prevalent in Canada?

Only in the biggest cities. Minimally existent everywhere else. The country just hasn't been as economically prosperous as our neighbours to the south. So, for example, there are fewer collector cars, fewer cars for the kids, etc.

Originally Posted by edyvw
6 days is wishful thinking.
I am starting to think that some manufacturers are simply not going to survive this.

Yes, me too. What's interesting to me was prior to this event remember the race by some companies to merge?

FCA was desperate.

More companies will have to merge to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back