3RZ 235k miles Rotella 5W-40 5k interval

Garak, thanks for weighing in. Can you expound on your comment that the iron is inconsequential?

Interesting that the sodium can stick around for so long. I didn't realize that. I'll keep watching it and the coolant level.

I plan to keep my air filter setup at least til the next oil change, so we'll see if the silicon shows up again.

Appreciate your comment on AW. It probably is best to just stick with the same thing for the sake of consistency.

With respect to iron, it "seems" like a big jump, but miles also did uptick somewhat. You've got a lot of miles on an engine here, and some UOAs will have blips here and there, and this could be nothing more than a blip. That's what we have to watch in trending. Some outliers are important (i.e. obvious coolant intrusion or enormous fuel dilution where there was none before) while others are just that - outliers.

I'm not sure how long sodium should stick around, and I do share your concern on that, but all that really can be exhibited is patience. At least we can say it's going down. We can also watch silicon as things are left alone over the next interval.

Yes, switching oils certainly would muck up the works here, and the short trend that has already been started would simply disappear.

I got similar feedback from Blackstone. I'm glad the iron increase isn't something to be too worried about in light of the conditions.

Is there a general consensus for gas vehicles on T6 5W-40 vs. Multi-vehicle 5W-30 vs. Gas Truck 5W-30? Wondering if a switch could be beneficial in this case. Thanks for making me think of this oil_film

I don't think it would matter much. Both T6 versions will have elevated HTHS and the Gas Truck will have ILSAC type HTHS. Any of them would be suitable, but my first concern is always lousing up trending. I'd say switch oils if you were using something unsuitable, but you clearly are not using an unsuitable oil.

Looks very good. Agree with everyone - sodium coming down but not quickly, and the 1,000 miles of tough 'wheeling plus a lot of WOT in mountains probably accounted for the iron, the new gasket is making the silicon since you've left the air filter alone. Also agree with Garak above about not switching oils, you've got a decent trend going with the Rotella 5w-40.

I do have a question about using a 40 since your 4Runner is specified for 5w-30. When did you switch or have you used a 40 throughout the vehicle's life? Reason I ask is that I have considered a 40 for my '15 Runner, it's 0w-20 here in the States but up to 15w-40 overseas. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I don't know what you were running in your earlier UOA's there but that what I'd be going back to if its a different oil.

It was the same oil but old formulation.

Yes, I think it would be worth it to look out for some T6 in CJ-4 rather than CK-4 formulation.

I don't have a solid answer for why I choose a 40W over a 30W. The engine has a lot of miles and I intend to be able to push it very hard. It's a small engine with a big job to do.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Welp, it's time for another oil analysis update. The previous interval (240-245k) involved a significant amount of hard offroad miles including towing another truck many miles through Death Valley. I think this is why the iron and silicon levels were high. This newest interval (245-250k) involved mostly commuting city & highway a only a small amount of mild offroad time. Results look much better.

I've gone and muddled my future results by changed from T6 to Mobil 1 TDT at 250k. I have a few gallons I need to use up so we'll see if it yields better or same results going forward.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another update, this time with M1 TDT 5W-40. Best report yet but it did have a lot of highway miles. Not just commuting miles but 500+ mile road trips. Looks good though, I am happy with it!

Reactions: 4WD
New report running RGT 5W-30 this time. Seems similar with a slight uptick in Al which might just be noise. Also popped the VC for a valve lash check.

Nice reports, thanks for sharing!

I would stay with the HDEOs, they are working very well for you.

T6 had a drop in moly but also had a bump in boron, which can also be used as AW and work against corrosion.

My current fill is again of 5W-30 RGT so we'll see how it turns out for the next UOA. If it shows the uptick in Al/Fe again then yes, HDEO will be where I go.

Another day, another Blackstone report. I've had enough reports now that my original one is pushed off the page so I created a summary with the wear metals I care about. I also normalized wear metals vs. the miles driven in that interval. I don't think the oil choice mattered much.

mU8rYub.png

Current fill is back to M1 TDT that I have to use up but I now have a big ol' stash of RGT 5W-30 that I might still use later.

Fantastic reporting and thanks a ton for sharing. Very good to know that the engine really likes HDEO's.

I just purchased a 2007 FJ Cruiser that has 218k miles on it and I think I will be using T6 5w40, because it is a little over $18 a gallon when Sams Club runs a sale on it, when purchased by the case.

Another report ending around 285k using HDEO 5W-40. Still averaging about 1ppm/1000mile for Fe and 0.5ppm for Al.

PoQCodK.png

Back