Yes Magnatec IS quieter...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider myself to have exceptional hearing, always have. I can always "hear" my engines when they make a different or out of normal noise, especially if I've had the vehicle awhile, I get really "in tune" with it. I most certainly can hear the difference between a loud oil and a quiet oil. This is what made my stop using M1 oils years ago. Every vehicle I put M1 in got considerably louder right away. I don't care if it is anecdotal, loudness related to oil type used is definitely a thing.

Must be something in the add-pack making that Magnatec quiet. Some have reported here that the base oil is a value oil, meaning cheaper than the typical mid-priced norm of Advanced, Platinum, Edge and Mobil-1 Vanilla.

Lots of reports on Magnatec, Ultimate Durability and Rotella Gas & Truck being nice & quiet and all costing around $19 retail for five quart jug.

What a coincidence indeed. Maybe we-all should be buying $19 oil...... whisper quiet...... sshhhhush, I can't hear my engine.

Last edited:
I can always hear more quietness after an oil change, and this is soon after hearing the old oil engine sound. The only problem is hearing sound live and hearing it reproduced from memory are two different things. The fact our brains have the capability of forming sound in our minds is truly remarkable. Maybe our memory is that accurate to do a before and after comparison. I always thought Motorcraft semi syn was quiet. People saying Magnatec is quiet does mean something I think.
Actually live sound is still our brains interpreting what vibrations the ear sensors pick up come to think of it. We hear the vibrations as sound in our mind. Sorry, it's a fascinating subject, the brain.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
I can always hear more quietness after an oil change, and this is soon after hearing the old oil engine sound. The only problem is hearing sound live and hearing it reproduced from memory are two different things. The fact our brains have the capability of forming sound in our minds is truly remarkable. Maybe our memory is that accurate to do a before and after comparison. I always thought Motorcraft semi syn was quiet. People saying Magnatec is quiet does mean something I think.

Similar to eating
When we eat fantastic tasting food & call all our family, friends and neighbors, to spread the good news, we have to run to the bathroom quickly

I was always under the assumption that noise was attributed to the amount of GrV esters. The polarity of esters allows them to "stick" to surfaces much like a magnet ("Magnatec").

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I was always under the assumption that noise was attributed to the amount of GrV esters. The polarity of esters allows them to "stick" to surfaces much like a magnet ("Magnatec").

I doubt the cheap corporate beancounters at Casstrol include ester base oils in their magnatec.

Last edited:
I'm running Magnatec in both my Ecoboost engines based on UOAs here, but I'm tempted to try Rotella gas/truck because of its slightly heavier viscosity and the increased moly over Magnatec. Next oil change might try a run of the RGT and see how I like it. RTG has great pour and flash points.
Sitting on the fence wondering ....

Who has actually taken measurements with a sound level meter to prove a difference between any two oils of similar viscosity, in semi-controlled testing?

Originally Posted by sloinker

I doubt the cheap corporate beancounters at Casstrol include ester base oils in their magnatec.

Sells too cheap to have much/any ... some GrpII might add "cling" ?

Except for those of us who actually used a DB meter and PP was louder than M1 in both a Ford and GM engine

Shannow, what's the part about passenger seat ?

Castrol has always seemed to be the quietest oil I've used. Mobil 1 by far the noisiest

Originally Posted by Gillsy
Magnatec is all I run anymore. Smooth, quiet, and I think the low end torque is slightly better due to interaction with variable valve timing.

Oh yeah my Escape gained 30hp, 100 lb ft torque, and uses less gas than a Tesla, ever since going from Valvoline to Magnatec.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by sloinker

Sells too cheap to have much/any ... some GrpII might add "cling" ?

"Castrol Magnatec is formulated using an
exclusive synthetic ester which has a
strong affinity for the metal surfaces of the
engine, providing a tenacious oil film. This
"Unique Molecular Attraction" establishes
complete and continuous protection that
will not drain away, providing superior
engine wear protection in areas of high
stress during the critical start-up and
warm-up periods. "

LINK

Perhaps I wasn't so far off afterall.?
21.gif

Last edited:
What percentage

Any ester at all (in the USA anyway) would actually drive up the odds of some GrpII
Again compare the price to known higher base stock group oils

And oxidation at 3k in a PI engine

Last edited:
Which formulation of Magnatec would be superior? I'm guessing the full synth,and does the full synth come in 10W30? Also,is it a global formulation,or would the formulations vary from different world markets?

I'm still curious about Edge High Mileage. I never see it mentioned here.

I've been curious about titanium, for you guys that swear Magnatec made your engine run quieter what roll if any would titanium play?

If I remember correctly Magnatec actually has more titanium than Edge, 30ppm to 10ppm respectively.

Was the Db meter test done using new same grade oils in all tests, or used oil, then new? New is quieter as my brain memory banks bring those old oil sounds up. Then the brain compares the new live sound vibrations to the memorized ones, and the new oil always sounds better, or "quieter." According to the brain, which is truly an amazing thing. We can close our eyes and hear sounds from year ago, where they are in the brain I don't think anyone yet knows?
I can remember the inside of parents house from 50 years ago, see it plain as day, except where is this image coming from, anyway?

If the noise of an internal-combustion engine bothers you, it could be a sign that you need an electric vehicle. Beware though -- some people never want to go back to an internal-combustion engine when they start driving an electric vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back