Yes Magnatec IS quieter...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, my Colorado is a diesel, but like I keep saying engine designs are closer together than forever, some run diesel, some run petrol.

40,000 mile service on the Colorado I left Magnatec DX 5W40 C3/Dexos 2 on the passengar seat, to replace the havoline 5W40...

the engine sounds more like a gasser than ever...

You got a lot of miles on that car. Isn't only couple of years old?
What's C3? Is it diesel equivalent of A3/B4?

I bought 2 5qt of Casterol GTX Magnatec 10W30 Full Synthetic but haven't used it yet. Trying to get rid of some of my old dino first. I used to use Castrol GTX dino white bottles and still have a quart left. I may have to mix it with some Chevron Supreme to get rid of it. It maybe api sm or sl
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer

I bought 2 5qt of Casterol GTX Magnatec 10W30 Full Synthetic but haven't used it yet. Trying to get rid of some of my old dino first. I used to use Castrol GTX dino white bottles and still have a quart left. I may have to mix it with some Chevron Supreme to get rid of it. It maybe api sm or sl
grin2.gif

A3/B3 - Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines
with extended drain intervals where specified by the Engine Manufacturer, and for severe operating conditions as
defined by the Engine Manufacturer.
A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van
Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

C3 - Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended
Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger
Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum
HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPas.

all copied from here;
https://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016.pdf

It will be 4 years old next month, I've had it for 3.5 now, and put 35,000 miles on it...so not a heaps fast rate.

Yeah, others have described it...the A's are high performance Gas, the B's are high performance diesel...the C is low SAPS gas and Diesel C3 is HTHS above 3.5...the Dexos 2 covers gas and diesel with a tighter spread on quite a few parameters...anything Dexos 2 IMO is a good thing for nearly anything.

There's a side of me that always wants to say oil is oil.. how can one be louder than the other? But in practice, I know what you're saying Shannow. There are some lubes that seem to elicit more VT or TC noise, especially at start up in my V6. I have no way of like proving it in any scientific way other than my "calibrated ear" has come to learn how my car sounds. Or maybe I should say, should sound. Is it (louder sounding lubes) hurting anything in a meaningful way, dunno.. maybe or maybe not. That's an entirely different discussion.

Shannow. Are you pulling our leg? Experts here claim engine sound cannot be measured by the "ear" and doesn't mean anything.
Just pulling your leg!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Some oils do if fact run smoother-quieter than others.

I agree but I don't mention it here because of said criticism.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Some oils do if fact run smoother-quieter than others.

I agree but I don't mention it here because of said criticism.

I've noticed that too.

When a semi-boutique oil made the acceptable ticking of my VT vanish, I knew
When myself and 2 friends -hundreds of miles apart- noticed quieter engines with the same particular oil, I knew
And when a specced synthetic greatly quieted an engine previously lubed with cheaper conventional oils only, I knew

I'm tempted to try Red Line or Amsoil next.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Shannow. Are you pulling our leg? Experts here claim engine sound cannot be measured by the "ear" and doesn't mean anything.
Just pulling your leg!

search my posts...

Magnatec is all I run anymore. Smooth, quiet, and I think the low end torque is slightly better due to interaction with variable valve timing.

I really like Castrol products, usually I purchase engine oils from Costco where usually I find Edge cheaper than GTX or Magnatec.

My current stash is 80% Castrol. Engine oil wise I'm currently sitting on...

20 Litres - Castrol Edge 5w30 LL
10 Litres - Castrol Vecton Long Drain 10w40 E9
8 Litres - Castrol GTX Ultraclean 10w40 A3/B4
6 Litres - Castrol Edge 0w30 Dexos 2
4 Litres - Castrol Magnatec 10w40

Which reminds me... I need to stop buying engine oi.
lol.gif

Anyway, the point I'm making is I have no bias. I like any major manufacturer oil with approvals.

I've used all sorts of oils in all sorts of engines and unless the previous engine oil has been totally depleted or I've gone from one viscosity extreme to another then I've never been able to tell any difference between oils. I can't help but feel most of it is a placebo.

Originally Posted by Kira
When a semi-boutique oil made the acceptable ticking of my VT vanish, I knew
When myself and 2 friends -hundreds of miles apart- noticed quieter engines with the same particular oil, I knew
And when a specced synthetic greatly quieted an engine previously lubed with cheaper conventional oils only, I knew

I'm tempted to try Red Line or Amsoil next.

Not refuting what you said but the ears can trick you, My other hobby is building loudspeakers and there are holy wars over expensive caps vs cheap caps.

at a audio show, one of the well respected builder build two crossover networks, one with cheap caps and one with expensive caps. He used high end equipment to make electrical measurements that showed they both had all the same electrical parameters within 0.1%.

On day 1 of the event he had a switch to select box A or B and asked random people to tell him which sounded better. It was a ~50/50 with a slight favor to the cheap caps.

Day 2 he put Mylar and "Musicap" on the switch. The results were highly biased towards the Musicap. Human nature when the differences are subtle but your expectation are higher because one is more expensive than the other.

All that said. Magnatec is the quietest oil I've run in my Tacoma.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, the old "I can't hear it, so you can't either" mentality tends to come out. I am not tone deaf and I can absolutely hear the difference between some oils, and I agree Magnatec tends to be quiet.

In my old Jeep I could have told you the difference between Rotella and Pennzoil without knowing what was in the crank, just give me 500 miles.

Originally Posted by Olas
Mobil1 is *LOUD
Everything else is roughly average
Redline is whisper quiet

There are different kinds of Redline.
Are you say the 5w30 Dexos 1 / Gen 2 version of Redline is whisper quiet?

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I don't have the HTHS data, but assuming 3.7 cP for the Havoline and 3.8 cP for the Magnatec, Magnatec would have a thicker base oil by 0.35 cP, which is a lot and would explain the quietness. If I assume 3.7 cP for both, then it's only 0.15 cP higher.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (BO DV150) and VII content of selected oils

Even Maggie 5W20 runs "quieter"

They have some magic goo in there. It's not all VM and base oil.

We've experienced this before in "inexpensive" Formula shell when they were loading it with Moly back in the SM days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back