Discount Tire Centers : No Tire Rotations For 30 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must make an appointment - only flats and new tires are offered as a service (air still available - drive thru) … Not that I'm driving much any way - reasonable measures to keep people out of the store waiting I suppose .
I guess tire rotations just are not considered essential during this specific period ...

Originally Posted by Olas
its easy enough to do your own rotations, and save the money for more important things

they do rotations for free...

I wouldn't expect you (olas) to know that, with you living WELL outside their service area (USA) and all...but point taken.

Perfect plan for DT. Use the issue of the day to avoid performing time & labor services that don't quickly max the cash register...

They will be happy to sell you an expensive new tire, whether you need it or not, though!

Every other business is getting away with not giving service. Banks are not letting people into their buildings either. There are many businesses that are about half shut down and it's to delay or prevent spreading the Corona virus. Very wise move IMHO.

Not terribly surprising. I got a set rotated at DT last week and at the time thinking about how the current environment might effect their services. Made an appt. just to assure quick turnaround.

Btw, DT repairs repairable area punctures using USTMA protocol FOC to all regardless of purchase. And in 15+ years of purchase and service, I've never been sold a tire that I didn't want. But what the heck, never let the facts get in the way of an irrational rant.

its easy enough to do your own rotations, and save the money for more important things

No.

Not really easy enough in many cases.

My daughter is a doctor, she's extraordinarily busy*, working insane hours. She lives in an apartment and while she has few tools, a jack is not among them.

She's a surgeon, so any injury to her hands is critical.

Since her tire store offers free rotations, like this store, she gets them done there, on a day off.

*24 hours at the hospital on call. 12-14 hours on a short day. No days off for weeks. Medical professionals are incredibly busy right now. She was so busy, she hasn't even had time to wash the car for the past year or two, even though that's "easy enough". So, I took her to work at 5:45AM and had the car detailed for her. We picked it up at 7:00PM. it was a short day for her.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14

No.

My daughter is a doctor, she's extraordinarily busy*, working insane hours. She lives in an apartment and while she has few tools, a jack is not among them.

Since her tire store offers free rotations, like this store, she gets them done there, on a day off.

*24 hours at the hospital on call. 12-14 hours on a short day. No days off for weeks. Medical professionals are incredibly busy right now. She was so busy, she hasn't even had time to wash the car for the past year or two, even though that's "easy enough". So, I took her to work at 5:45AM and had the car detailed for her. We picked it up at 7:00PM. it was a short day for her.

God bless your daughter and all other medical professionals for their dedication and service.

I guess I was lucky . I just had mine rotated about 2 weeks ago. So I`m good for around another 6 months.
04.gif

No.

I've seen this happen before. Software developer mangled his fingers while working in his car. Could not work for 9 months. All of the safety red flags were there. First time doing that job, on a time schedule, no correct tools and by him self. Risk/reward for that job was not taken into account. Pulling a truck drive axle to change the U-joints... ~$300 at midas or so.

If the tires are not wearing abnormally , I never rotate them . If they are , I have a suspension inspection and alignment .

If the tires are not wearing abnormally , I never rotate them . If they are , I have a suspension inspection and alignment .

No ones going to have to worry about tire rotations in a couple weeks, the country will be quarantined and we'll all be doing a lot less driving. California yesterday, Massachusetts next week. Heck, I'm being told I can't mountain bike on the trails I usually go to (in the [censored] woods).

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

We got it!
No need to repeat 3 times.

KrzyÅ›

No.

I have a spinal fusion, L5-S1. Rotating tires, especially the 17" inch ones on the Avalon, makes the surgical site hurt.

A whole lot.

So I pay someone else do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I guess tire rotations just are not considered essential during this specific period ...

And any sensible person would agree with Discount Tire. No different than Walmart shutting down their tire/lube centers temporarily. Oil changes can wait, even weeks or a month or longer.

No.

My daughter is...

Our daughter, while planning to go in to the medical field, probably couldn't change a tire either. She's barely 100# and while she played soccer, she has stamina but a tire will be heavy and awkward for her. There's a large number of folks here who will ridicule her or ridicule me for not teaching her, but, well, I better not say anything else....

People need to get it - not everyone wants to, can, or cares about "working" on their cars. Mechanics exist for a reason. Plumbers exist for a reason. Doctors exist for a reason. Not everyone can, or should, do everything.

Originally Posted by Railrust
No ones going to have to worry about tire rotations in a couple weeks, the country will be quarantined and we'll all be doing a lot less driving. California yesterday, Massachusetts next week. Heck, I'm being told I can't mountain bike on the trails I usually go to (in the [censored] woods).

I hate on my job a lot but right now it's great I work at an auto parts store. Because we are an essential business and are staying open.

I wouldn't say it's been busy... Most of the time it's dead but it's definitely worth staying open. Selling lots of batteries for some reason!

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I've seen this happen before. Software developer mangled his fingers while working in his car. Could not work for 9 months. All of the safety red flags were there. First time doing that job, on a time schedule, no correct tools and by him self. Risk/reward for that job was not taken into account. Pulling a truck drive axle to change the U-joints... ~$300 at midas or so.

He probably asked about it on a forum and he got the usual "rah, rah, rah, you can do it !" and "please don't pay a stealership to do this simple job". I don't hesitate to ask things like "do you change the oil on your car?" or see if their tool set consists of more than a pair of pliers, a hammer, and a multi-bit screwdriver that they keep in a kitchen drawer. There's nothing wrong with not being able to do car repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back