Fram Ultra vs Extra Engine Air Filter

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
They look identical, except for color of the pleats and that the Ultra XGA9997 is slightly wider in one dimension than the Extra CA9997. The Ultra fit well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The old filters, for reference:

15 Legacy (Unknown, first change since purchase -19k miles ago)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

14 Forester XT (~27k mikes)
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by blufeb95
The Ultra and Tough Guard Airfilters use a special oiled paper

I remember reading that somewhere.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Fram claims the wally-world special has special media that traps more dirt than the Extra

Also the Tough Guard, from my understanding the Tough Guard and Ultra air filters are identical, but the Ultra is exclusive to Walmart while the Tough Gaurd are available at other retailers.

Fram claims the wally-world special has special media that traps more dirt than the Extra

Also the Tough Guard, from my understanding the Tough Guard and Ultra air filters are identical, but the Ultra is exclusive to Walmart while the Tough Gaurd are available at other retailers.

Fram says to replace tough guards, every 12,000 miles, same as extra guards.

The Ultras are 2 years, assuming they also imply 24,000 miles.

If you used a Subaru genuine air filter, then it's 30,000 miles.

Last edited:
I'll likely stick with 24k miles with these filters from now on, which should be around two years anyway.

I cant say which of the two is better or worse but using the best air filter you can buy will help keep engine wear down, this is one part you don't want to skimp on.

the Walmart near me had both the Extra Guard and the Ultra for an F150...

the Ultra which Fram says is Walmart only is up to 24 months while the Extra Guard is 12K miles. the Ultra was only about $2 more than the Extra Guard...

I can find the OEM Motorcraft priced right in the middle of the two and should be 30K miles...YMMV

Bill

Last edited:

Fram says to replace tough guards, every 12,000 miles, same as extra guards.

The Ultras are 2 years, assuming they also imply 24,000 miles.

If you used a Subaru genuine air filter, then it's 30,000 miles.

Where did you get the 30k for the OEM Subaru filter? The Subaru maintenance interval?

I normally just gently tap the air filters clean and keep on trucking. I rarely replace them as per the mileage on the box.

Originally Posted by metroplex
I normally just gently tap the air filters clean and keep on trucking. I rarely replace them as per the mileage on the box.

I used to do the same, but it's not worth it for something so cheap.

My biggest concern with changing the filter too often: it's my belief that the largest risk for dirt ingress is during the filter change. The ducting in my Legacy travels upward from the box, but the FXT drops down into the fender, and then down to the turbo.

The Ultra air filter doesn't look oiled and the website says the TG is oiled. So they are completely different filters. Is the Ultra pictured made in China?
I would want the best air filter not a choice of good, better, and best.
The Fram installation instructions says to vacuum the air filter housing, that is something I will start doing.

The Ultra air filter I bought for the Tacoma says "Made in Korea". Quality looks very good.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The Ultra air filter I bought for the Tacoma says "Made in Korea". Quality looks very good.

Same here. "Product of Korea"

I didn't feel any oil film on either Ultra filter, so it's either REALLY lightly oiled or not oiled at all.

*I never see the Fram Ultra or Extra air filters for my 2017 Sonata ?
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Ultra air filter is my go-to for every car they're available for
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The CA9711 for the Passat is made in Mexico and the quality was impressive too.

Back