EVAP Codes - 14’ Grand Cherokee

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Have more evap codes with my grandpa's 14' Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 3.6L 4x4. Has 120k miles. P0455 and P0456. My mechanic was thinking the capless gas system might be dirty by the fuel door. We cleaned it up and reset the codes and they're back, didn't take very long.

Any ideas what they might be for? I'll post on a Jeep forum too to see if it's a common thing.

Thanks.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

Code: P0455
1- Check capless system for tightness and integrity. Check condition of O Ring.
2- Defective Vent Control Valve on Charcoal canister (somewhat common).

Code: P0456
1- Minor leak in EVAP system (probably one in the same).

Check the hoses at the Evap Purge Solenoid for cracks/splits.....I've seen some with heat shrink over the connections, So you may need to feel for the crack Or carefully cut the heat shrink away. The Purge Solenoid is located on the intake manifold under the sight shield.

The Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Assembly is notorious for setting P0455 & P0456 on late Chrysler Products! The EISM is located on the Charcoal Canister behind the left rear wheelhouse splash shield.

The Capless Filler Neck can also set those codes, But not as notorious/common as say a Ford F150.

Correct diagnosis of this would require a smoke machine, Your mechanic should have one or he really has no business diagnosing EVAP leak concerns!

On the FB Durango page (2011+ Durango and WK2 Grand Cherokee are built on the same assembly line, almost the same exact vehicle), it's almost always something to do with the capless fuel filler for those guys. They've had good luck getting them replaced at the dealer.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Check the hoses at the Evap Purge Solenoid for cracks/splits.....I've seen some with heat shrink over the connections, So you may need to feel for the crack Or carefully cut the heat shrink away. The Purge Solenoid is located on the intake manifold under the sight shield.

The Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (ESIM) Assembly is notorious for setting P0455 & P0456 on late Chrysler Products! The EISM is located on the Charcoal Canister behind the left rear wheelhouse splash shield.

The Capless Filler Neck can also set those codes, But not as notorious/common as say a Ford F150.

Correct diagnosis of this would require a smoke machine, Your mechanic should have one or he really has no business diagnosing EVAP leak concerns!

This post.

Finally got this fixed, was a bad filler neck. Wasn't closing all the way all the time.

My mechanic says the last part of the part number went from AA to AL, so there was a lot of revisions. You can see the new design.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Boy, they changed it significantly. All the ones we've owned have had the new style one you have now.

Glad to hear it is fixed
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Thanks for the update.

And thank you for the insight, he smoked it and got nothing until he played with the filler-port and it started smoking since it didn't close sometimes.

Wife has a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 3.6L still with the old capless design. She is at 116k trouble free miles but I guess the future may bring a problem with the capless design. How much was the part?

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Wife has a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 3.6L still with the old capless design. She is at 116k trouble free miles but I guess the future may bring a problem with the capless design. How much was the part?

I don't have the receipt in front of me, but I think it was around $180? The total out the door with labor was $329.

Those suckers always take a beating. I guess I'm glad my 2013 Grand Caravan had a regular gas cap, as does my 2017 Ram 1500. I'm surprised you couldn't smell constant fumes from that area. That's how I generally start my EVAP code troubleshooting.

Just found the cracked/split purge hose line at the connector this morning after looking under the plastic engine cover on the 3.6L Durango. Was just in the dealer service for the P0456 code on 11/9/20 and they said it was a software update, apparently they didn’t do the smoke leak down test as I recommended to root cause the leak. The Durango went twelve days and 1151 miles between check engine lights. Not happy to say the least over $30 part online. I’ll call tomorrow, it’s it’s covered under Federal Emissions warranty I’ll let them do it, if it’s not I’ll order it & can change myself then clear the code with my scan tool.

Just realized i never updated this post. Hoses were coming off of some purge valve thing under the engine cover. Hooked back up and zip-tied it back together and all is well.

Back