Gas dryer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a second hand gas dryer from a friend several years ago because he moved to an area with no natural gas. It's motor is starting to sound like it's struggling a bit. It's a noticeable change in the sound it makes when you start it up. Are the motors worth replacing in these things? I usually don't mess around with gas but since the motor is just 120v electric, I wouldn't be afraid to replace that.

Dryer is a GE® Extra-Large 6.0 Cu. Ft. Capacity Gas Dryer

DCXR463GA0WW

Last edited:
The belt and the drum rollers are the parts that wear out. Almost every washer or drier goes to the scrap heap with a good motor.

Originally Posted by mk378
The belt and the drum rollers are the parts that wear out. Almost every washer or drier goes to the scrap heap with a good motor.

Well that's good since the motor's cost more than what the dryer is worth. I assume the belt and rollers are A) cheaper and B) easier to replace? I'm seeing gas dryers on craigslist for $100 maybe 5 years old. Am I better off that route?

The other thing to check is the starting capacitor, if it has one. Some motors do, actually most do, inside the rear end frame. If that goes bad, startup will be terrible.
Check motor bearings too while it's out, but that noise would be continuous when running.

Originally Posted by JohnG
The other thing to check is the starting capacitor, if it has one. Some motors do, actually most do, inside the rear end frame. If that goes bad, startup will be terrible.
Check motor bearings too while it's out, but that noise would be continuous when running.

The sound is continuous. It just doesn't sound like it did in the past. I see from a couple youtube video's that pulling the drum out is rather easy, What should I inspect other than the belt and pulley?

Originally Posted by JohnG
How does a gas-powered dryer work?/quote]

It just uses a gas burner for the heat instead of electricity.

Yes, it's not natural gas powered. It's natural gas heated. Dryers are pretty simple.

Make sure the lint is all cleaned out of the air outputs and inside the dryer. They sell special brushes for this.

The motors in dryers-gas or electric have a start winding operated through a centrifugal switch. The contacts could be worn or dirty. BTW the only difference between gas or electric dryers is a heating element or gas burner. All controls are the same.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
The motors in dryers-gas or electric have a start winding operated through a centrifugal switch. The contacts could be worn or dirty. BTW the only difference between gas or electric dryers is a heating element or gas burner. All controls are the same.

Except in an electric dryer its all 220V. Gas its 110V. Given that the cord for many electric dryers is 2 hot + ground there should not be anything 110V in an electric dryer (since no neutral).

Oh, so it still has an electric motor to turn the drum? I gotcha. I've never seen one and I was thinking it was totally gas-powered.

We'll see how bored I get this weekend. I might dissect it and clean things up while inspecting the belt and rollers.

Is this my problem?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Believe it or not, a supply place was open today so I grabbed a bearing kit which came with front bearings, felt, belt, and top plastic piece. Just installed and at first it was still loud but after running for 5 minutes it's much quieter.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by Dinoburner

Except in an electric dryer its all 220V. Gas its 110V. Given that the cord for many electric dryers is 2 hot + ground there should not be anything 110V in an electric dryer (since no neutral).

True on the heating element, however, most dryers are now 3 conductor with ground with 120v motors and controls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back