bought a pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my first pistol.
I get to pick it up tomorrow after the 3 day back round check wait.
I chose this one because I'm old and have trouble operating the slide on full size semis.
I got it for home defense and target shooting.
I know a shot gun is best for defense but I live in an apartment and that just didn't seem right.
I thought about revolvers but they are a couple hundred more.
Anybody have or had one?
Any opinions?
Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 Semi-Auto Pistol with FDE Frame

A shot gun is a much better choice than a pistol in your apartment. Shotgun shot may go through into your neighbors room. A bullet from your pistol will go through many walls and rooms.

Originally Posted by marine65
I got it for home defense and target shooting.
Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 Semi-Auto Pistol with FDE Frame

You're not going to be doing a lot of either with that. It's a pocket pistol made for deep concealed carry and it's not the least bit comfortable to shoot.

Yes, try it out at the range with some quality hollow points to familiarize yourself with it and make sure it works, then keep it handy if you find it necessary to carry. Beyond that, you could have done better for a home defense gun and certainly better for a range toy.

Sorry, not trying to be a wet blanket, but...

Congrats! Fairly easy to shoot pistol it will serve you well also be sure to practice quiet a bit with it.. A 3 day background wait sucks totally, at least we don't have to wait you get it same day.

You should always ask for opinions or reviews before buying.
You did fine with this choice. I looked at it, prior to buying the Glock 42, which is a bit easier to handle and a bit more accurate (I thought anyways).

Welcome to the conceal carry club. A man must protect himself and his family and the Bodyguard fits-the-bill.

Originally Posted by JBinTX30
Congrats! Fairly easy to shoot pistol it will serve you well also be sure to practice quiet a bit with it.. A 3 day background wait sucks totally, at least we don't have to wait you get it same day.

Normally in Colorado the background check is 30 minutes but with the Virus panic so many are buying guns it's now 3 days.
There is no ammo available locally.
I ordered some off the net.

Good thing about a Texas LTC is all you have to do is fill out the 4473 and you are done. no NICS check.

Originally Posted by Chris142
A shot gun is a much better choice than a pistol in your apartment. Shotgun shot may go through into your neighbors room. A bullet from your pistol will go through many walls and rooms.

Maybe in some pistol calibers, but probably not a .380

What a coincidence, I just went out and bought my first gun yesterday...a snub nose 38 special. Figured...things are getting weird...should probably be like everyone else up here in NH and get one. Took about an hour and I was walking out the door with the 38, ammo, a case and a holster.

Originally Posted by spasm3

A 380 goes through a 6" log home wall from 7yds

Originally Posted by pkunk

I am going to eat crow and stand corrected. I found some tests showing .380 penetrating 4 walls of drywall.

You're going to find out that a micro pocket pistol is extremely hard to shoot accurately. They're intended as a back up weapon at bad breath range. Not really any fun target shooting. But, any gun is better than no gun.

Get some training from an instructor and practice a lot.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
You're going to find out that a micro pocket pistol is extremely hard to shoot accurately. They're intended as a back up weapon at bad breath range. Not really any fun target shooting. But, any gun is better than no gun.

Get some training from an instructor and practice a lot.

I have an lcp .380. It does have a lot of recoil as its light. I find it easy to get on target though with the minimal sights. Its not bad, feels i like a .45 in some ways.

You're saying a .380 will go through a 6" log?

Um...no.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

You're saying a .380 will go through a 6" log?

Um...no.

withot knowing bullet weight in grains, bullet velocity and bullet material, you canot be definite. more infor is required.

Shotgun you point and shoot, pistol you have to aim, so if you are not a good shot, go for the shotgun. It would be better for defense in your apartment without hitting someone two apartments down from you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Shotgun you point and shoot, pistol you have to aim, so if you are not a good shot, go for the shotgun. It would be better for defense in your apartment without hitting someone two apartments down from you.

It would have to be quite the long room to get any appreciable spread on a shotgun pattern. But it should be much easier to aim all the same.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Lubener

It would have to be quite the long room to get any appreciable spread on a shotgun pattern. But it should be much easier to aim all the same.

Still easier to hit something with a 2 inch spread @ 10 ft than a .9mm bullit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back