New 2017 silverado 5.3 v8 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by userfriendly
The 4.3L V6 truck and 6.2L Corvette has the same AFM system and both are 5W30 engines.
What would happen if you put 5W30 Dexos in a 5.3L, would it blow up?

No, it wouldn't.

0W-20 spec is MAINLY for CAFE.

They were using 5W-20 in the 1960's in Chevy pickups (granted, winter only)...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

As has been discussed here in the past the 5W-20 of that time is not like the one that exists today, just like it wasn't for the original Mobil 1 grade. SAE J300 was not invented yet (nor was HTHS) but those oils had an equivalent HTHS of around 2.9 to 3.0.

Originally Posted by kschachn

As has been discussed here in the past the 5W-20 of that time is not like the one that exists today, just like it wasn't for the original Mobil 1 grade.

No kidding! Really, thanks!

Which 1960's vintage oils are like the ones that exist today?

Sorry, I edited my post after you. Something today that is equivalent to an HTHS of 2.9 or 3.0. Red Line 5W20 would get you there
smile.gif

Sorry, I edited my post after you. Something today that is equivalent to an HTHS of 2.9 or 3.0. Red Line 5W20 would get you there
smile.gif

Which one had that HTHS in the late 60's?

As I mentioned there was no HTHS then it was pre SAE J300. That is the approximate HTHS that the original Mobil 1 5W-20 would have had in 1974.

As I mentioned there was no HTHS then it was pre SAE J300. That is the approximate HTHS that the original Mobil 1 5W-20 would have had in 1974.

Okay but 5W-20 (albeit a heinous version of it) existed in the 60's and was recommended in varying degrees depending on the type of vehicle (at least by GM) for winter usage.

Mobil 1 adopted that as a cold weather test weight for the Army first, then consumers in the NE states...

Mobil 1 adopted that as a cold weather test weight for the Army first, then consumers in the NE states...

Which is fine but my comments weren't about the cold-wether performance but instead about the equivalent HTHS.

Which is fine but my comments weren't about the cold-wether performance but instead about the equivalent HTHS.

Okay.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I'm not an expert but if I bought a brand new GM 5.3 it would get 5w-30.

I have a 2018. The manual calls for 0/20w-there are no alternatives listed.

I'm going to put what is spec'ed because I'm not an expert either.

There are hundreds of thousand of these motors on the road-all-most likely running what is spec'ed.

Last edited:

Okay.

I guess my point is that 5W-20 is not a "new weight" (from the late 1990's that has run in millions of vehicles with no substantive failure rates noted) and was not just invented for "CAFE" purposes. It was probably pretty bad circa 1967 honestly and had the infamous "not recommended for sustained highway driving" caveat, but then again, so did 5W-30.....

Run a good dexos approved 0w20.
You don't run your truck harder than GM tests their engines, and qualifies them for production.
GM had barrels and barrels of M1 0w20 on their test wings at the Pontiac Powertrain Center when I worked there. They weren't there for TV commercials.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Run a good dexos approved 0w20.
You don't run your truck harder than GM tests their engines, and qualifies them for production.
GM had barrels and barrels of M1 0w20 on their test wings at the Pontiac Powertrain Center when I worked there. They weren't there for TV commercials.

Great post ! One of M1's best grades …

Originally Posted by userfriendly
These trucks cost a bloody fortune, take 7 years to pay off, and have close to 300k kms (180K miles) at that point in time.
I don't mind changing oil for my 2 kids and their spouses plus my own truck, but I refuse to buy 200-300 liters of synthetic oil plus filters a year.
So there has to be a viable cost effective alternative for 3 seasons of the year when cold start performance is not a concern.
I found 5W30 conventional engine oils a disaster, so for 3 months of the year I'm stuck using synthetics.
The rest of the year, it's 10W30 HDEO, 15W40, SAE30 or SAE40. Those 4 grades go in everything, sometimes some of each to empty a few pails into one.
I own a socket set if I have to change out an engine or transmission, but I hate chasing engine lights, 02 and N0x sensors.
I don't want to start replacing TWCs or DPFs on a 5 year old car or truck for a few dollars in fuel that thin engine oil claim to save.
I'll just do what works for me and leave 0W20 a mystery.

You are going to run 15w40, SAE30W or SAE40W in your new Silverado... in Canada?.......... hahahahaha
These ain't your grampy and daddy's Chevys anymore. You might freak-out when you open the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back