Our Wedding/Honeymoon

Unfortunately, it's looking like our wedding and honeymoon (scheduled for April 18 in her hometown in Indiana, with honeymoon to Costa Rica for 7 nights starting April 21) will have to be postponed due to current events.

Pretty disappointing, because this has been a long time coming, with us being in a long-distance relationship for almost 3 years before she moved down here, and then planning the wedding and honeymoon. And the fiancee has worked her tail off for countless hours and spent thousands of dollars for the wedding (she's doing almost all the decorations, etc., herself).

Costa Rica, 2 days ago, banned travel into the country until at least April 13, but that will probably be extended.

Now, the question is, how long will we have to delay everything?

As bad as this sucks for us, we're grateful and thankful that things aren't worse for us (at least right now) - we dodged the immensely destructive tornadoes that hit Nashville a couple of weeks ago, and we both still have jobs, although, with this rapidly evolving situation, that could change (she works for Amazon and I'm with Embraer's heavy maintenance/overhaul base here). We're also healthy and aren't high risk to CV.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I feel bad for you and your fiance. Are you going to delay the ceremony and the reception or just the reception? Might be a while before it's safe to have a reception.

A lot of peoples' lives are on hold right now to the virus.

Last edited:
sorry to hear that. I would be in Taiwan right now, but they won't let me in without a 14 day quarantine. For sure, lots of disruptions!

I don't think anyone will have any useful advice besides "indefinitely", but I think it's going to be a while, like a few months. My advice, just don't even think about it, and continue on with life as you can. Shooting for a date now is just creating unnecessary stress about something over which you really do not have any control. Not worth it.

Sorry to hear about your delay. I was thinking about your honeymoon the other day.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Now, the question is, how long will we have to delay everything?

This situation is evolving so quickly, it is probably not possible to predict right now. I've seen some predictions saying things may blow over by late summer, and others saying we'll have to wait for a vaccine before things get under control, and that may take 1.5 years, if a vaccine is even possible.

As much as it sucks, it's the right thing to postpone it all, and not plan anything until future becomes more clear, IMO. You'll get your day, eventually.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I feel bad for you and your fiance. Are you going to delay the ceremony and the reception or just the reception? Might be a while before it's safe to have a reception.

A lot of peoples' lives are on hold right now to the virus.

We'll wait a week or so before making a final decision. We thought about just having a ceremony, but my mom is 78, has COPD, and is at very high risk to CV, and she was one of the main people we wanted to be able to come. I also have elderly aunts and uncles who are at too high of a risk to even think about coming right now, so, maybe if we just delay the whole thing, they might be able to attend.

At this point, as bad as we hate it, we'll probably plan to tentatively delay until July and hope things have died down by then.

Originally Posted by JOD
sorry to hear that. I would be in Taiwan right now, but they won't let me in without a 14 day quarantine. For sure, lots of disruptions!

I don't think anyone will have any useful advice besides "indefinitely", but I think it's going to be a while, like a few months. My advice, just don't even think about it, and continue on with life as you can. Shooting for a date now is just creating unnecessary stress about something over which you really do not have any control. Not worth it.

My sister and her husband are missionaries with Campus Crusades for [censored] in China, and are stuck in Thailand right now. They were scheduled to fly back to Beijing tomorrow, but now their organization has called for all personnel to be recalled to their home countries due to everything going on. Their plan is to fly to Taiwan and then to LAX. But there could be some bumps in the road in that plan.

I wonder if my sister and BIL will be subject to that quarantine before being allowed into Taiwan?

Originally Posted by JOD

I don't think anyone will have any useful advice besides "indefinitely", …..

When I first read that bolded area, I initially thought you were suggesting "infidelity" given OP's circumstances.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by john_pifer

My sister and her husband are missionaries with Campus Crusades for [censored] in China, and are stuck in Thailand right now. They were scheduled to fly back to Beijing tomorrow, but now their organization has called for all personnel to be recalled to their home countries due to everything going on. Their plan is to fly to Taiwan and then to LAX. But there could be some bumps in the road in that plan.

I wonder if my sister and BIL will be subject to that quarantine before being allowed into Taiwan?

I'm assuming they're going through Taoyuan. If that's the case, you can do a connection flight right now from SE Asia without restriction. That could change any minute, of course. You can do a connecting flight without actually entering the main airport, and Taoyuan traffic is so low right now that they'll likely keep it open as long as possible.

Sorry to hear the situation. Amazon should be fine from what I understand in the retail side, and AWS will likely pull in strong in the long run for the new work from home norm to compensate for the inevitable start up cool off. The airline side will likely be in some trouble for a while.

We are in the 5th day of local lock down and the daily death toll in the county is about 1, and around 20 new cases. One of my wife's friend's mom got a citation from a cop for not keeping social distance (probably going to turn into a warning when all things settle down instead of a real $400 fine). Yes, daily grocery run to get what you need is a new norm here.

We are grateful that everyone I know are still healthy and not contracted, knock on wood.

Originally Posted by JOD

I'm assuming they're going through Taoyuan. If that's the case, you can do a connection flight right now from SE Asia without restriction. That could change any minute, of course. You can do a connecting flight without actually entering the main airport, and Taoyuan traffic is so low right now that they'll likely keep it open as long as possible.

I heard the public outcry is big for foreigners outside of China coming in bringing in new cases, and people traveling for non-essential reason and bringing cases back. My bet is in a couple of weeks when new round of infection starts, they'll lockup the border again.

Originally Posted by PandaBear

I heard the public outcry is big for foreigners outside of China coming in bringing in new cases, and people traveling for non-essential reason and bringing cases back. My bet is in a couple of weeks when new round of infection starts, they'll lockup the border again.

I don't know about China, but I'd guess they will keep travel open. Keep in mind, your every move is tracked once you enter the country, so they'll know where you've been and where you are, pretty much at all times. I'm not being paranoid, this is actually true.

Taiwan has closed the border. I could get back in if I undergo 14 day quarantine--basically hose arrest, but it's closed to tourists for most foreign nationals. I did double check with someone who'd know, and connecting flights are still going through Taoyuan.

Sorry to hear about this situation.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Just go to court get married and have the party later.

Ditto. Now is the wrong time to party, but it's never the wrong time to live life.

If you love each other now, odds-are you will still be madly in love six months from now and plan the same wedding then.
If you-guys can't get time off then, then pick a week when you are both off-from-work.

Sure, there will be a few out-of-state guests that cannot attend then. Such is life, as history never repeats itself, to the letter-T

Who was the first to start that slogan...... to the letter-T anyways?

My oldest son was planning on getting married on April 4. Big wedding planned (200+ guests), mainly friends (more so) than family. Honeymoon was planned for Hawaii, but that appears a no-go. To add insult to injury, daughter-in-law-to-be is graduating college in May, but it looks like the college is cancelling all graduation ceremonies.

We will be meeting the couple-to-be this Saturday to discuss options.

Originally Posted by Auae85
My oldest son was planning on getting married on April 4. Big wedding planned (200+ guests), mainly friends (more so) than family. Honeymoon was planned for Hawaii, but that appears a no-go. To add insult to injury, daughter-in-law-to-be is graduating college in May, but it looks like the college is cancelling all graduation ceremonies.

We will be meeting the couple-to-be this Saturday to discuss options.

Man. I'm sorry to hear that.

As a groom-to-be, I can tell you, it's really terribly disappointing. Especially watching my fiancee try to deal with this, since she's put all this time, effort, and money into this.

John, not to down play your situation or be a Debby downer, but why not take this opportunity to get married, but forgo the insane cost of the whole reception and 'traditional' wedding money grab?

I feel for the younger folks like yourself doing the traditional 150-200 people wedding receptions. What cost the bride and myself maybe $5-6k over 20yrs ago is now 3x that. Total waste of money IMO.

Originally Posted by JTK
John, not to down play your situation or be a Debby downer, but why not take this opportunity to get married, but forgo the insane cost of the whole reception and 'traditional' wedding money grab?

I feel for the younger folks like yourself doing the traditional 150-200 people wedding receptions. What cost the bride and myself maybe $5-6k over 20yrs ago is now 3x that. Total waste of money IMO.

This wasn't going to be an expensive wedding. We were going to have it at her family's church. We don't drink, so there won't be any alcohol. No DJ or anything like that. We were going to cater the reception, so, that was going to be our biggest expense, but nothing fancy - just a local lady who does catering. Pulled BBQ pork, smoked chicken, baked beans, coleslaw, etc. It was still going to be about 2 grand for the catering at ~ $14/person @ 150 persons.

Well, we talked to the pastor at the fiancee's family's church, where we're getting married. We discussed with him the Stay-At-Home order (mandatory) that was put in place this week in Indiana, that will be in force until April 7 (wedding has been scheduled for April 18 all along). But, there's a good chance it'll be extended. He checked with a police officer who is a member of the church, who said he thinks it will be OK for us to go ahead with the wedding as long as we hold it to 10 people, maximum. I told him that the last thing I want would be for him or the church to get in trouble with this. But he is fine with it.

So, that's the plan. From 150+ attendees down to 10. There will be my fiancee and I, the pastor, her mom and dad and a few siblings (it'll be hard choosing which ones get to come, because she is one of 12), and a couple of people to videotape the ceremony. We're still trying to decided if it's worth the risk for my mom to come (she's 78, has some mild COPD-like symptoms, and is probably in the highest risk category). My younger sister would come, and drive her, if so. Mom swears up and down that she will not miss this for anything. But I'm worried. However, it would break my heart for her to miss my wedding.

The alternative is delaying the wedding indefinitely. And paying several thousand dollars more in rent for her apartment (we have separate apartments).

Instead of the big 7-night Costa Rica trip, we'll take a road trip. First, down to Indy to stay at the Ironworks Hotel, on our wedding night, then, the next day, to Pittsburgh for a couple of nights (I've always heard it's a cool city), and then to a cabin in West Virginia near Fayetteville and the New River Gorge Bridge for a couple of nights (we love road trips). I figure there are some great restaurants in Pittsburgh that are still serving take-out. We can grab take-out and then back to our Air BNB, or to a park to picnic. We also love coffee, so we'll hope there are some great indy coffee shops that will do to-go coffee. If not, oh well. We always bring our own beans, and pour-over setup when we take road trips. Makes it easy that we both take our coffee black, always.

I've always been fascinated by the state of West Virginia. It's supposed to be one of the most beautiful states - very natural and mountainous, with not a lot of people. And very old-fashioned and rustic, which we're a fan of.

Any suggestions welcome! Especially about the road trip, and stuff we can do along the way. Would love to hear from some of y'all who are from some of the areas we'll be in (Central Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, West Virginia).

Back