Amsoil OE 5w30, 7,266 miles, 2010 Toyota Corolla 1.8L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to see how OE would perform taking it past the suggested 5k mile manufacturers interval. By the looks of things, no worries taking this oil between 8-9k miles, despite thinning out of the 30 weight range ever so slightly. This is the wife's car and the majority are city miles - north of 60%. The previous UOA was Phillips 66 Shield Choice 10w30, and prior to that, Amsoil XL 0w20. I'll let you all draw your own conclusions between the two Amsoil results based on miles and viscosities. I've got Valvoline full synthetic MaxLife 5w30 in it now, so look for a UOA on it sometime this summer.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 105
I see you're using a little heavier oil than Toyota calls for in your year model. I have a little older Corolla with the same engine I change my oil weight around a little depending on what's on sale. How much oil are you currently using (top off oil) during a normal OCI?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I see you're using a little heavier oil than Toyota calls for in your year model. I have a little older Corolla with the same engine I change my oil weight around a little depending on what's on sale. How much oil are you currently using (top off oil) during a normal OCI?

I'm one of those thicker using guys, so I'll stick with the 30 weights, considering the Aussie owners manual states you can run 20w50 in this engine for the hot climate. This is the 2nd Corolla we've owned, the other being an ‘04 we bought new and parted with it at 244,000 miles. We've put 20k or so on this one, and amongst all those Toyota miles between the two, I've never had to add an ounce of make up oil. After this OCI with the Valvoline, I'll run the P66 Shield Choice 5w30 that I get on sale for $1.99/qt at Orscheln's. When it gets near winter, I'll run Amsoil SS in it for the extended drain and start-up benefits, as I'm not one that likes to be laying down on a sub freezing garage floor in January in Indiana. ...€

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back