Grocery pickup at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the grocery pickup at Walmart for the first time today and wanted describe the experience. My wife was able to get into the overloaded website just after midnight and placed an order for pickup 2 days later. I got a text that the order was ready, drove there, and a young man loaded the groceries. They forgot a bottle of mouthwash but instantly credited the card when my wife called. All in all, a really great experience.

Note: They are not allowed to accept tips according to the young man.

FYI

How's this work out if you've ordered items that need to remain frozen or refrigerated?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
How's this work out if you've ordered items that need to remain frozen or refrigerated?

Stores that do this (properly) have a staging area where they hold your order. They have cooled storage for those items that need it. They actually know what they're doing...

Originally Posted by Chris142
My wife uses that. When she tried on Tuesday they had a 10 day wait.

10 days ???? Man, we get frustrated when we have to wait until the 'next' day ! My wife did one two days ago and it had a 12 hour wait time.

We've been using it for a few months. It works really well and has been a great timesaver for my wife.

We've had a few missing items and a simple claim through Walmart's site gets us an instant refund.

Honestly, we probably won't be using it for a while because of the thing of which we do not speak.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by cpayne5
We've been using it for a few months. It works really well and has been a great timesaver for my wife.

We've had a few missing items and a simple claim through Walmart's site gets us an instant refund.

Honestly, we probably won't be using it for a while because of the thing of which we do not speak.
smile.gif

I think your last sentence describes the reason more shoppers are using the service. Our Walmart nearby has 12 parking slots for pickup. Last Saturday every spot was filled with waiting customers and it appeared that there were four associates making the deliveries. Today I saw that four spots were being filled. It has definitely picked up.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by cpayne5

smile.gif

I think your last sentence describes the reason more shoppers are using the service. Our Walmart nearby has 12 parking slots for pickup. Last Saturday every spot was filled with waiting customers and it appeared that there were four associates making the deliveries. Today I saw that four spots were being filled. It has definitely picked up.

Yeah, I understand why it appeals to folks right now. I completely get it.

The reason we won't use it is because of the lack of stock on the shelves. In the past, generally when using the service, you get what you order. Sometimes there are substitutions.

My guess is that there are tons of substitutions going on right now. Sometimes they choose appropriate substitutions, sometimes they're head scratchers. My rationale for entering the store right now is to more tightly control any substitutions and have more options than "out of stock".

We also live in a rural area. Walmarts out here are not as crazy as in other, more populated areas.

Last edited:
Hopefully Walmart doesn't start charging for this service. It's a privledge Walmart offers now but when it starts being used at a 200% increase over the next few weeks Walmart may have no choice.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Hopefully Walmart doesn't start charging for this service. It's a privledge Walmart offers now but when it starts being used at a 200% increase over the next few weeks Walmart may have no choice.

I'm looking at my local Fred Meyer to buy on-line. They charge $4.95 for a store pick-up (same day) and $9.95 for a home delivery. Store pick-up is free if it's scheduled out and not same day. Might try the pick-up option just to see how it works out. Of course they show "unavailable" for some things like TP (no surprise) ... also out of milk, at least the one I usually buy there in person.

They were offering 10$ of your first order. Now they could charge 10$ and nobody would balk.

We've used it a few times since late last year, smooth. For non grocery items you have to go in the store and scan in at the giant orange tower that delivers your item, oil & ATF in my case, via a Rube Goldberg contraption.

I've used it before. You have to really watch what they bring out. If you're particular item is out, they will "replace" it with a similar item that is up to the discretion of the employee actually picking out your goods. Example, ordered a particular kind of soup, it was out, so they brought out another kind. Didn't like that and they instantly credited my card. That was cool. But, if you look at the website, you can click on there somewhere that basically says no substitutions. They even bring out BEER!!!!

Originally Posted by Al
Open a can of soup...problem solved.

The problem is there's a shortage of canned soup, that's why people are getting groceries.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
???? WTH is that suppose to mean???

It means that people should eat cake.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by Al
Open a can of soup...problem solved.

The problem is there's a shortage of canned soup, that's why people are getting groceries.

There was plenty here... it's even on sale, 4 for $6.

I'm mad because they've changed the 24 hour stores to 8-10 or whatever.

Being over 65, we can go to our HyVee grocery one hour before regular opening time. So far we have been able to find everything on shopping list.I imagine that many residents of New York City wish they were in the middle of fly over country with what they are going through.Can't be easy. Stay safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back