New : Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S

Noticed these at BJs Wholesale . They have many deep sipes to base of the tire . May purchase these . Many positive reviews from consumers and are priced close to that of the RT43s' . We've been using the 43s' for many years . Here's the site , https://www.uniroyaltires.com/products/tiger-paw-touring-all-season .

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3827.JPG

IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

Last edited:
Tread elements seem wide open and aggressive. Hmm...84H? I guess it's because of the 175 width.

Lotsa sizes available. Shows you how well received the Tiger Paw name still is.

LOVED thier very first commercial back in the '60's

The "Tiger Paw" name has been around for years. It looks like the tire has evolved/been improved tho. I would be interested in the noise level of these tires.

If pricing is similar I'd go with the RT43's. I've sold quite a few sets of these Uniroyals to customers looking for a low cost option. They last well but tend to get noisy as they age.

Originally Posted by odie
Users say they're quiet . The tread depth is 11 . Like that .

They sure don't look quiet, goes to show you can't always tell. I've had better luck with Tiger Paws and BFG's than I have Michelins.

Tiger Paw touring performed badly and were in the bottom 5 tires in Consumer Reports last year, and the bottom 5 also included Milestar and Westlake.

Originally Posted by wdn
Tiger Paw touring performed badly and were in the bottom 5 tires in Consumer Reports last year, and the bottom 5 also included Milestar and Westlake.

I've had two sets, neither were these. From my foggy memory. The first replaced some OEM Michelins on an '02 Elantra are were better than the Michelins. The second was on a Kia Rio and IIRC got progressively noisier. Both wore OK, although I don't think they'd last 70K, gave both cars to the same kid who totaled both, so we'll never know. Don't think either were sporty, but they weren't awful either.

And a word of caution (since this is an International website)

In the US, Michelin has control of the Uniroyal brand name, but in Europe, it is owned by Continental. I'm not sure of other places. (OK, Wikipedia says that Michelin owns the name in North America, Columbia, and Peru, and Continental owns it everywhere else.)

OEM tires are consistently junk though, regardless of brand label on the sidewall. They are the result of a low bid and are built to a price point and not built to go past the first 30,000 miles. You want to see junk tires: take a look look at OEM Continentals. Yet both Michelin and Continental make top aftermarket tires. Compare aftermarket to aftermarket though, and Michelin usually is at or near the top, and Tiger Paw never is that I've seen.

Originally Posted by wdn
OEM tires are consistently junk though, regardless of brand label on the sidewall. They are the result of a low bid and are built to a price point and not built to go past the first 30,000 miles. You want to see junk tires: take a look look at OEM Continentals. Yet both Michelin and Continental make top aftermarket tires. Compare aftermarket to aftermarket though, and Michelin usually is at or near the top, and Tiger Paw never is that I've seen.

I didn't have issues with OEM ContiProContacts, they were 500 A A tires, and got them past 30,000 miles before I wanted something a little grippier on a AWD car.

It's not like with the ContiProContacts (no suffix, as in later OEM version), they took their standard 500 A A tires, and changed the tire to a lower wear rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
Originally Posted by wdn

Ah …… Mmmmm ……. Not exactly.

Long version: Barry's Tire Tech: OE Tires

Short version:

The car manufacturers issue specs for tires and among the specs is one for low rolling resistance - and to get that, treadwear and/or traction (especially wet traction) are sacrificed - something consumers find important.

Further, the price is one of the last things done in the qualification process

Originally Posted by wdn

Not true at all.

You're painting with too broad of a brush.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Originally Posted by wdn

Ah …… Mmmmm ……. Not exactly.

Long version: Barry's Tire Tech: OE Tires

Short version:

The car manufacturers issue specs for tires and among the specs is one for low rolling resistance - and to get that, treadwear and/or traction (especially wet traction) are sacrificed - something consumers find important.

Further, the price is one of the last things done in the qualification process

Great link Capri - Thank you for including it.

Just a few thoughts-

I still have some reading to do but related to another comment/post about junk tires, the inference was a sub-standard version of a tire may come as OEM although the after market (same markings and labeling) tire at a retailer is better. (I do realize Barry suggests it's actually the opposite).
That declaration seems disingenuous at least in the technical application that some code or sidewall marking or number (to my thinking) would have to be unique.
Lets say a Pacelli Spider A/S Plus was rated really good on a long term Volvo SUV test with factory OEM provided tires and I go get a set at the local tire shop. It could have thinner sidewalls or less tread wear rating or some inferior casing or criteria yet be the exact same part # ? I don't believe it myself BUT, it's possible and likely a tire plant could make that tire and drop the "Plus" or change some part # or code on the sidewall making it a completely different performer altogether. Tires made to a given price and performance characteristic while thriving on the marketing and sales of the similar sounding tire and model.
smile.gif

The other thing I'm thinking on is some fairly typical car tests for performance traits that are often footnoted by Car & Driver due to variations, poor results or prize-winning performances that are indeed, all about the tires either the OEM supplied or aftermarket the testing staff swapped out.
Sometimes, a base model car with the right tires out performs the XT model or the GTI for instance.
laugh.gif

Purchased the Uniroyal Tiger Paw A/S for my wife's Lincoln about 2weeks ago
235/45/19
So far very pleased with the purchase
I would recommend them to anyone in the market looking for this type tire

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bachman
…….. I still have some reading to do but related to another comment/post about junk tires, the inference was a sub-standard version of a tire may come as OEM although the after market (same markings and labeling) tire at a retailer is better. (I do realize Barry suggests it's actually the opposite). ……

Allow me to explain why I think it's that way:

A tire factory likes standardization. OE tires disrupt that. So to make things better, the tire designers use a standard casing for everything! The beads, plies, steel belts, sidewalls - all the same (or as close to the same as can be done given they are making different sizes!)

What is different is the tread compound, and the tread pattern - and it is here where the differences between what a vehicle manufacturer wants and what a consumer wants manifests itself.

Further, OE tires generally have stricter limits on balance and uniformity - ergo, they are in some respects "better quality".

Originally Posted by bachman
…….. That declaration seems disingenuous at least in the technical application that some code or sidewall marking or number (to my thinking) would have to be unique.
Lets say a Pacelli Spider A/S Plus was rated really good on a long term Volvo SUV test with factory OEM provided tires and I go get a set at the local tire shop. It could have thinner sidewalls or less tread wear rating or some inferior casing or criteria yet be the exact same part # ? …..

Generally that is not the case. The tires sold at the tire dealership are identical to those sent to the vehicle assembly plant - with the assembly plant getting tires with better balance and uniformity.

But what also happens is that OE tires are generally produced for only 3 years before the vehicle manufacturer wants to change things. When an OE tire is no longer supplied to an assembly plant, it frequently reverts to an aftermarket spec - that is, the tread compound is changed to what is standard for that type of tire. (Sometimes, the OE tire is just dropped in favor of the already available aftermarket version.)

So by the time the car buyer needs tires, those at the dealership are either the last of the OE tires or the first of the converted tires. (and the way to tell is those special markings that the OEM's require: BMW's star, GM's TPC spec number, etc.)

One of the other things that happens is that the name of the tire is usually slightly different if it is an OE tire. For example, an Goodstone FireEagle might be relabeled a FireEagle ST for the OE - and sometimes the length of the name is ridiculous.

And sometimes, it's not!

Case in point: Falken Sincera 250 has 2 different versions:

Aftermarket: 250, 720 A A
OEM: 250A: 340 A A(or B), and has a different tread pattern than the aftermarket version.

Back