Can't get into my Saturn Vue. When did car makers go to 1 door lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have checked first, but, I parked it such that the drivers side is inches from the side of a building so there would be more room on the other side, and then crawled out the passenger door. Also removed the battery and locked it up. Now I see there is no place to stick the key in to open a door. Not even on the tailgate. Does a slim jim work on these models? I'll probably have to drag it 5 feet forward so I can get to the drivers door. At least it's parked on grass and dirt.

slim jim should work; although I have mostly seen people us a miniature air bag to pry the door open enough to get a hook inside the car itself. do you have a motor club? they have a few tools to get into the car.

If the starter can be reached from underneath, hook up a jump start pack to the battery terminal on the starter and ground. This should power up the electrical system and let you use the electric locks.

Originally Posted by atikovi
When did car makers go to 1 door lock?

My 18 year old car has only 1 door lock, so a while ago.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
When did car makers go to 1 door lock?

My 18 year old car has only 1 door lock, so a while ago.

Pete, you got me beat. My 17 year old car has only one door lock.

Scott

Originally Posted by DriveHard
crawl on top of the car, and reach your hand down to the driver lock from the top.

What would that do?

Allow you to stick the key in the door and unlock it.

But since you removed the battery, it might not matter.

If you unlock the driver's door, can you get to the hood release to be able to install the battery?

is this a GM thing?
my 2019 toyota has no "map pocket" on the back of the drivers seat, not an issue, but droping the pass door lock -- I dont like that

let us know how it ends
use fork lift to move the car?

Get a rolling floor jack, place it in the center of the rear axle, perpendicular to the car, jack up car. Pull to rotate rear of the car away from wall.

Last edited:
Found this on a Saturn Vue forum
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103338

The hood latch cable on my 03 Vue came loose from the release latch two weeks ago. It's a royal pain to release the hood but it can be done with a simple home made tool, a mirror and a helper holding a flashlight.
1st, pry the hood up as much as you can, I used door shim wedges to get it up about 3/4". Put the mirror in the space and locate the latch mechanism with the helper casting as much light into the area ; the mechanism is located on the drivers side of the latch. Take a piece of heavy guage wire (like a welding rod and put 2 - 90 degree bends in it so it looks like a "Z" wlth an elongated top leg to hold on to. Using the mirror, position the rod so it engages the latch, then take the tension off the hood and push forward. The hood will release.
Once opened, run a length of safety wire around the latch and down behind the radiator so if this ever happens again, you can pop the hood by pulling on the safety wire.
The hood latch is a VERY poor design and it's not a matter of if it will fail, but when. The safety wire backup is a must.

another solution from the same site:

I just did my 2009 Saturn Vue. If you can't get the hood to open...shine a flashlight through the grill and you will see the 3 bolts. Use a 10mm socket on an extension though the front grill and you can pretty easily remove all 3 bolts. Lift the hood gently. It will go up till the electrical connection stops it. I lifted mine a little too far and pulled the sensor out of the latch mechanism. Hood will then lift about 10", taking the latch up with it till the release cable stops further travel. Mine latch mechanism came off easily, but if not you now have access to the mechanism and can mimic the cable travel to remove the latch from the hood. Mine had a rusty cable. Removed latch by drivers knee (2 phillips screws) then pulled out storage tray above to release holding clip. Lithium greased engine end, worked it back and forth, reinstalled. All good.

Originally Posted by CharlieJ
Get a rolling floor jack, place it in the center of the rear axle, perpendicular to the car, jack up car. Pull to rotate rear of the car away from wall.

I like the idea, but he is on grass/mud...guessing the jack won't roll with the weight of the car in those conditions.

Should have checked first, but, I parked it such that the drivers side is inches from the side of a building so there would be more room on the other side, and then crawled out the passenger door. Also removed the battery and locked it up. Now I see there is no place to stick the key in to open a door. Not even on the tailgate. Does a slim jim work on these models? I'll probably have to drag it 5 feet forward so I can get to the drivers door. At least it's parked on grass and dirt.

Why did you go through all this trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back