245/45ZR20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I should know better than to expect people here to actually READ what they reply to.

People here gave you numerous options, including experience with Kumho tires.
Kumho is not such player where bunch of people will use their summer performance tire, especially not car enthusiasts.
I gave you my opinion on them. I have Kumho as spare in Toyota, and that is as far as I go when it comes to that brand.

Let me paraphrase your question.

I want to put out fire in the basement but since I almost drowned 10 years ago I refuse to use water.
What are your suggestions?

Good luck!

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by edyvw
I should know better than to expect people here to actually READ what they reply to.

Kumho is not such player where bunch of people will use their summer performance tire, especially not car enthusiasts.
I gave you my opinion on them. I have Kumho as spare in Toyota, and that is as far as I go when it comes to that brand.

But you are nuts, so nothing you say matters.

Originally Posted by krzyss

I want to put out fire in the basement but since I almost drowned 10 years ago I refuse to use water.

Good luck!

KrzyÅ›

That might be the stupidest comparison ever posted on the internet.

But you are nuts, so nothing you say matters.

Good luck!

KrzyÅ›

That might be the stupidest comparison ever posted on the internet.

Since you are replaying to it, I think it matters.

Good luck!

KrzyÅ›

It depends on the type of fire. Water isn't universally the best.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by 02SE
I'm running Kumho Ecsta V720 ACR tires. They are designed for the car, and are fantastic in the dry. Wet is marginal, and they don't last long. But they are great in the dry...

They are not the same tire you're considering, but based on my experience with the specific tire I'm running, Kumho can make great tire.

Great tires have good performance in all disciplines. If we are talking summer tires, great tire will have great performance in both dry and wet.

Depends on application, I guess. The V720 ACR is a track tire, so I suppose it is primarily meant for dry conditions.

As for the OP, it sounds like he's not looking for track-only tires, but he hasn't specified either what his exact intended purpose/application is.

It is a track tire. Here's Tirerack's description:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+V720+ACR

The Ecsta V720 ACR is Kumho's Streetable Track & Competition tire originally developed in the 295/25R19 90Y (front) and 355/30R19 99Y (rear) sizes as Original Equipment on the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR (American Club Racing) ¿ the fastest street-legal Viper track car ever. Designed for driving enthusiasts looking for ultimate performance on dry pavement, the Viper ACR's Kumho tires, refined suspension and Extreme Aero package (developing nearly one ton of downforce at the vehicle's top speed) are said to be capable of delivering sustainable 1.5 g cornering forces in high-speed turns. Like all Streetable Track & Competition tires, the Ecsta V720 ACR is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- or below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
Ecsta V720 ACR tires mold Kumho's super high-grip synthetic resin and ultra-fine carbon black enhanced tread compound into an asymmetric design that begins just 6/32" deep. Massive outboard shoulders deliver dry road responsiveness and cornering. Many of the lateral tread design features are very shallow in depth, resulting in a virtual slick tread design early in the tire's life.

Warning: Ecsta V720 ACR radials meet DOT requirements, however they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at significantly reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. This is especially true of worn tires.

The tire's casing was developed using Kumho's ESCOT tension control optimization technology that allows engineers to tune the bead, sidewall and shoulder rigidity to optimize footprint pressure distribution and uniformity. This results in less flexing and cooler operating temperatures that improve durability.

The tire's internal structure includes dual high-tensile steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon to provide excellent strength and high-speed capability while the sidewalls are tuned to resist lateral deflection and to provide handling control and positive feedback.

The normal ECSTA V720 have slightly more tread, at around 8/32" which adds to the depth of the grooves for rain.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Good luck!

KrzyÅ›

It depends on the type of fire. Water isn't universally the best.

This is true but water works in probably 90% if not more cases.
However there are some fires when water must not be used as it feeds the chemical reaction (not much different from using gasoline).

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by Olas

OP are you brave enough to use a cut slick on public roads? or even a full slick? They can generate sufficient lateral grip to twist your monocoque if you drive hard enough.

Mickey Thompson radials?
Nangkang NS2R
Nangkang AR1
Toyo R888R
Maxsport RB5 Tarmac
Hankook Ventus Z209
DMACK DMT-RC2 Tarmac
Yokohama A006-T
Kumho Ecsta TM02
Pirelli P7 Corsa Classic
Dunlop DZ03G Road - Track
Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport
Federal 595 RS-R

It might help if you outline ALL of your criteria before asking for recommendations - you say you want a UHP summer tyre so we tell you about the class leader but you dont want it. We list alternatives like the Pirelli Trofeo R and you ignore it.
We give you lists of UHP summer tyres for dry use and you say you dont want track tyres.

So, outline ALL of your criteria and we can make more suggestions.

Also, explain what objections you have to the Mickey Thompson UHP summertime tyre.

I want a street tire, something that will work in rain. Not a "cut slick", not a DOT race tire, not a drag radial, a street tire. My only objection to the Mickeys is I hadn't ever seen them before. (I always associated M-T tires with 4x4s or drag slicks.) They're definitely an option. (And they're US-made, which Iike.)

Got them ordered: went with the Mickey Thompsons from Jegs. ETA...sometime next week, I figure.

Or not. Arrived today. Made in China.

Gross, at least if you got the M word the'd probably be made in the US or France
wink.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Or not. Arrived today. Made in China.

Gross, at least if you got the M word the'd probably be made in the US or France
wink.gif

They're going back tomorrow. I'm getting something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back