Looking into a Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by JohnG
Buy a Volt, you won't regret it.

Prius 50 mpg, all day long.
Volt 60 mpg if you do everything wrong. 200 mpg if you do everything right.

Never thought about a Volt. Are they EV or Hybrids?

...one or the other, depending on the model.

There was a craze on priuscat around '16-'17, when a lot moved to the Volt, for the sportiness

...one or the other, depending on the model.

There was a craze on priuscat around '16-'17, when a lot moved to the Volt, for the sportiness

This is a new one on me! Prius owners ACTUALLY went to the Volt at some point! Wow, did not know that.

I owned a Volt, and rode in a Prius. The Toyota was total junk compared to the Volt.

A Chevy Volt is a Plug in TANDEM hybrid. It is a plug in (totally electric) for the first 50 or 60 miles, THEN (and only then) does the gas engine turn on and you run on gasoline + electric.
This car was too advanced for most people to understand.
Let's see, Mine got 194 MPG lifetime, oil changes once every TWO years, Fast, comfortable, Roomy, and looks WAY better than a Prius, 100 MPH on electric alone!
No comparison!

BTW, There is no "depending on model" they are all the same.

A Volt will work as a heavy hybrid or as an EV, there are no system limits in either mode.

Like a Prius there is a Gen 1 and a Gen 2
Gen 1 more reliable better looking
Gen 2 better in every other metric but reliability

The Volt like a Prius is very reliable but because they are advanced (like a Prius)
you can get truly raped by an incompetent dealer if something does go wrong.

A good idea to follow

https://m.facebook.com/groups/323927991720903/?ref=group_browse

Especially if you buy someone's low cost high mile cast away.

Although the Volt is more smiles per mile than a Prius it doesn't make as much MPG sense if you drive fast and far every day. It's economics are drastically affected by the ability to plug in an extension cord free at work if you have a long 50+ miles commute.
The Volt also isn't a cavernous mini van so if you have large objects you carry everywhere check that they fit.

My opinion is that it's a very solid car and more pleasant to drive than a Prius but your opinion/priorities may vary.

Last edited:
Googled the Volt a little bit and I saw that it is only a 4 seater, no go for me.

Last edited:
Googled the Volt a little bit and I saw that it is only a 4 seater, no go for me.

That's too bad. But yes, you are correct, that tunnel that extends to the rear is where that big water cooled battery resides. That's how you get 50 or 60 miles of electric power FIRST, then the engine comes on to run the generator. As mentioned above, if you do a lot of long distance driving, the Volt would not be your best choice either. This car was designed to go back and forth to work, 25 miles or less each way, which GM determined would cover 60% of the driving population. Too bad most of the drivers that do just that wanted a middle seat in the back.

A Volt will work as a heavy hybrid or as an EV, there are no system limits in either mode.

Not sure exactly what this means, but think of the system like this:
It compares closely with the system used in an electromotive diesel (except the Locomotive doesn't have a battery). Once the battery is depleted the engine starts to charge it back up. The engine RPM is controlled by computer, it might be revving high, but you may be going slow up a hill. It's a little weird getting used to it at first.
The throttle (skinny pedal) just controls the speed of the vehicle. It all works amazingly well. The engine can run at it's most efficient speed, regardless of vehicle speed.
Prius is totally different, but I don't know how their system works, especially the plug in version.

Volt - sounds like a mechanics nightmare if things start failing. I need to find one that I could do test drive just for the experience.

Volt - sounds like a mechanics nightmare if things start failing. I need to find one that I could do test drive just for the experience.

The Volt is the better driving car, by quite a bit. It's a very pleasant car.

My extended family all own 2nd and 3rd generation Prius. All of the 2nd gen ones needed battery replacement. My very elderly mom paid $4500 to have hers replaced. Ugh. She is fanatical about fuel economy and calculated that the $4500 could have purchased enough gas to make driving a less economical and larger car, considerably more economical than the Prius has been for her.

A lot of folks have replaced the bearings, temperature sensors, even the battery at home.

Only irritation is finding a machine old enough to run GMs subscription service to run the relearn software.

In many ways the Volt is easier to work on than a Prius , just fewer of them in the wild and a lot of incompetent or unscrupulous dealer repair shops

Originally Posted by Cujet

The Volt is the better driving car, by quite a bit. It's a very pleasant car.

My extended family all own 2nd and 3rd generation Prius. All of the 2nd gen ones needed battery replacement.
My very elderly mom paid $4500 to have hers replaced
She is fanatical about fuel economy and calculated that the $4500 could have purchased enough gas to make driving a less economical and larger car, considerably more economical than the Prius has been for her.

You can do a Volt battery for $2k at home in a weekend, thankfully many Volts never require battery replacement

Yes older Volts have 4 full size bucket seats just like the newer Prius Prime

2016+ Volt is a 5 seater but as much as I thought I needed a 5 seater I found that on the rare chance I needed 5 seats would anyone actually want to sit in the 5th bench seat in a Prius or A Volt or really any economy car?

A know a few folks that removed the rear armrest cover and modded it For a baby carrier or extra jump seat
but I still can't see a full size teen let alone adult in the middle position rear seat of any economy car.

Last edited:
I have to add this to the discussion. If you decide to go with a Volt, which are probably getting really scarce at this point, be sure that it comes with the charging unit that was included with the car when new.
These are all Class 1 home chargers (110V) and will charge the car overnight.
On the charger, make sure that the charging cord is in good shape and not twisted up.
You will need a STOUT 110V outlet for the charger. Never use a charging strip or multi tap device of any kind with the charger. Probably should avoid extension cords as well, unless they are short, and 10GA wire minimum.

This advice likely applies to ANY car equipped with a 110V home charger.

Have you considered a Bolt? Prob more commonly available, but not a hybrid. So electric only.

I have to add this to the discussion. If you decide to go with a Volt

This advice likely applies to ANY car equipped with a 110V home charger.

Have you considered a Bolt? Prob more commonly available, but not a hybrid. So electric only.

I doubt the OP will go 4 seat Prius or buy the 4 seat version of the Volt, probably needs the 5th seat on paper for Uber.

If I were him I would probably get a Prius C assuming those he carries fit comfortably.

If he has a lot of adults and uses all 5 seats he would have to go Prius V and keep a Gen IV motor swap in his back pocket since they blow up with even more regularity.
Considering a Gen IV Motor is $250+ from a wrecker it's well worth learning to drop the engine if you own a "business driver " like the 3rd Gen PRII and want to get your money's worth.

If the lift back is his goal and touching the motor is out of the question a cherry Gen II is probably best and keep the money saved for a $2000 brand new OEM battery from Toyota .

At the end of the day it will depend on luck of the draw and an open mind to buy whatever the best deal is right now. There are pros and cons to every car.

I know a few folks who purposely bought a failed $500 Gen III with good sheet metal/interior
So they could immediately budget for a Gen IV motor swap and have peace of mind about reliability because they put a known motor in there themselves.

Good Luck to the OP

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
[...

Only irritation is finding a machine old enough to run GMs subscription service to run the relearn software.

I think you can still find used Thinkpads (with a serial port) that you can install Windows XP SP1 on. Done it for couple guys in the old machines maintenance department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back