1965 Case 130

Last Sunday, I had the opportunity to buy a much sought after 1965 Case 130.
This was the first year Case had a garden tractor. Case bought Colt Lawn Tractors in 1964 and got into the garden tractor business. They made Case and Colt until 1966, and then just Case (the Colt name was dropped).

What makes this tractor special is:
--1965 was the first year Case had a garden tractor
--1965 had two models of Case with round fender tractors, the 130 and the 180. 1966 forward, all Case tractors had square fenders
--This is serial number 103. Really early production number. I'm not sure how many total were made
--These Case tractors had a hydraulic pump bolted right to the engine crank that pushes hydraulic fluid to the rear axle to provide motion. There is also a hydrostatic transmission for forward and reverse. But there is no driveshaft or belt powering these tractors. There's also a fan on the front of the engine that blows air through a radiator that cools the return hydraulic fluid.
--This tractor is 100% original. The paint, tires, etc. etc. The tractor was completely disassembled, cleaned, and then DA was used with cutting compound, then polish, and then wax to give this almost 60 year old paint that great shine, yet maintain all of it's character/patina.

I'm absolutely in love with this thing!! She a real beauty. The 10HP Kohler runs like a watch. I couldn't be happier.

Case 130.jpg

Case 130a.jpg

Looks great. I didn't realize they made lawn tractors. I always thought of skid steers when i think of Case.

That is a unicorn find!! I love the face on those old Case machines.

I did a light restoration job on a 1979 Case 220 garden tractor years back. I was quite involved over at MTF and other related boards at the time.

The Case Hydriv system is pretty neat.

I know the link gets posted from time to time but I had to look it up to see if they're still around: http://www.eastmanind.com/INGERSOLL/tabid/186/Default.aspx

Last edited:
Congratulations! Nice! Love the Colt, Case, Ingersoll GT's. I've owned 2 of the Ingersoll GT's a 3016 and a 4018 big wheel. Case bought out Colt in IIRC 1964 then Ingersoll bought Case but I can't remember the year. Ingersoll is not affiliated with Ingersoll Rand, a common misconception but they still produce these hand built GT's in Maine. One of if not the toughest GT's ever built. I loved the hy drive but wasn't a fan of the steering column mounted forward/reverse controls. I understand the new models have the foot controls. The Case owners forums as well as my tractor forum have a wealth of knowledge on these unique little tractors.

That is an absolute beauty of a garden tractor! I have no room for anything like that, but I love all those old 60's/early70's garden tractors. True work horses instead of just being a tractor shaped lawnmower.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by Warlord
Wow what a gorgeous tractor. Great find!

Thanks!! I'm really happy with my purchase. Now I'm looking for the big brother of this machine, the 1965 Case 180. It's the other round fender Case...but it has the typical big rear wheels that Case is known for.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Nice, being rare and original, are you going to use it? Or are you just collecting?

I have a garage full (10-12 garden tractors) at any given time. I like to flip them. But I have a few that I've restored, and a few I couldn't sell yet. So, yes, I'm "collecting" them.

No, I won't be using this Case. Except for relaxing cruises around the neighborhood or to take to some tractor shows.

Back