Quincy air compressor break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 60 gallon air compressor and the only thing it mentions about break in is to change the oil after 100hrs. Now I've heard you're supposed to let it run for an hour or so constantly with the valve open so it doesn't shut off and also not to overheat the piston rings. Well I already let it air all the way up to 175 psi figuring that's what most people do anyways. It probably has about an hour of runtime on it right now. Should I go ahead and let it run for an hour straight? Or just use it and not worry about it? I think this goes back to that whole break em in hard or easy b.s..

Forget it, any benefit of breaking it in are already long gone. The first 20 min are the most critical to breaking in piston rings and camshafts.

I broke my large compressor with1 hr break in no load I would do break in and Chang oil. I take it this is splash lubed pump or is it full pressure with filter.

Just use it. Compressors last an exceedingly long time with proper service. I have one that is going on 30 years of service and is still performing like new. Not the original motor, but it is the original compressor. Just regular oil changes.

Congratulations on purchasing a fine American compressor. Keep the filter clean and changed and oil when recommended by time. I have a Quincy that has served me well since new, 12 years ago. I didn't do anything special as far as break-in, manual didn't specify it.

Originally Posted by dave123
I broke my large compressor with1 hr break in no load I would do break in and Chang oil. I take it this is splash lubed pump or is it full pressure with filter.

It's splash lubed, yes.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I bought a 60 gallon air compressor and the only thing it mentions about break in is to change the oil after 100hrs. Now I've heard you're supposed to let it run for an hour or so constantly with the valve open so it doesn't shut off and also not to overheat the piston rings. Well I already let it air all the way up to 175 psi figuring that's what most people do anyways. It probably has about an hour of runtime on it right now. Should I go ahead and let it run for an hour straight? Or just use it and not worry about it? I think this goes back to that whole break em in hard or easy b.s..

Whatever you did should be ok. Did you change the oil yet? I would change the oil now if you haven't done so, does it call for an ND 30 oil?

Here's how I did my break in. Tank was zero psi. I timed 0 psi to cut out. Occasionally for the next several weeks drain it to 0 and time it. You will see when it's run in good. My dealer warned me not to change the oil until I had 40 hrs run time on it. I have the exact same unit as yours mad man
It's also a very good idea to write this pump up time somewhere on your compressor for you grand kids to verify condition 40 years from now.

Last edited:
Are these units shipped factory filled or did you fill with Quincy oil before start up. Probably no matter what procedure you followed or did it is a excellent pump and probably take it to your grave without issue. Is this a 7.5hp or 5 hp and what it's general purpose just curious if any thing.

We have a Quincy dual stage piston air compressor at work, 12 years now. It was high quality then, and I hope they still are. It has been flawless. A lighting strike took out the starter, I can not blame the compressor for that. We had several things that died that morning. I think you made a very wise purchase. We did not break ours in either. It got hooked up by outside electricians and before I had a chance to run it with no load, the boss turned in on and watched it pump up. I can not see how it was hurt. I am sure it will still be pumping long after I retire.

Rod

Last edited:
I've been using my compressor since 1976 and do not remember doing anything special when I first put it in service, but I have changed the oil regularly and kept the air filter clean. Years ago, I had to replace the tank due to rust, but the compressor and electric motor are original.

You didn't hurt it at all, the 80 gallon Quincy I had was not broken in, I just started it and let it fill. When I sold it the thing was as good as the day I bought it, I needed more CFM so I got a bigger unit.

Originally Posted by dave123
Are these units shipped factory filled or did you fill with Quincy oil before start up. Probably no matter what procedure you followed or did it is a excellent pump and probably take it to your grave without issue. Is this a 7.5hp or 5 hp and what it's general purpose just curious if any thing.

Mine was filled and I got 4 quarts with it. Not sure if the dealer filled it or Quincy.
Trav or CLine had a good tip awhile back for this compressor. These compressors are shipped with a single belt and a single belt sheave on the motor. I agree with their recommendation that since the pump has a 2 groove sheave it would be money well spent to buy the 2 groove motor sheave and a second belt.
[Linked Image]

That is the 60 gallon tank from my old craftsman compressor. I put it on cl for 350 and I held firm on the price. It didn't sell so I cut the motor/ pump mount off, sand blasted it inside and out Por-15'd the inside and ppg'd The outside. Very glad it didn't sell!

I gave the old pump and motor to my neighbor who is a hoarder.

I still may open the air valve once a month or so and run it for 30 minutes to evaporate any moisture. Is moisture in the oil a common problem for compressors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back