What's with black interior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like almost all of the vehicles I've looked at lately have a black interior. Why is this color so popular? You open the door in the summer time after it's been sitting in a parking lot and it feels like you've opened the incinerator door. You can't leave anything in the vehicle because it either warps, melts, or dies. Why not more light colors? Heck, even grey is cooler than black. I don't get the black thing, it isn't even attractive...

We have light tan leather in the Tahoe … full time job keeping blue jean dye off the seats.

My Z71 is the first in years I decided to avoid hot black leather and do black fabric
Tint and windshield screen make it alright in public places … parked under roof at home

Good question. I have two Mercedes S class sedans (both copart rebuilds). One has a black interior/ seats, the other with tan interior/ seats.

The black interior sedan has 180k miles- interior has been abused but looks and cleans good. The tan interior has only 50k miles and was owned by a one owner wealthy older lady before me. It was never abused, but instantly shows any dirt, and the perferated leather does not clean well.

Not sure why new cars get so many black interiors, but from a cosmetic clean perspective, the black interior cleans easier and hides dirt easier, in a very measurable way, compared to lighter color interiors.

I think light colored leather interiors will look often dingy after 10+ years of wear. Black ones will look worn, but not grubby.

That's the only real advantage I can think of. I guess it's a "cool" thing. Makes the car feel small and cave-like, IMO. Black headliner is the worst.

I am the opposite in that I love black interior. Specifically I love black leather with a black headliner.

For me, I think it comes from being able to solely focus on driving and no bright objects in my peripheral vision -- whether it be day or night time. Also, I think the majority of black interior materials and pieces age well in regards to wear or fading. I have always found that light colored materials you seem to notice imperfections or separations/gaps easier.

I do think the black interior is easy to keep clean. But the benefits end there... don't know about you but I don't have the interior of my house painted black just I don't have to clean it so often!

The beige interior of my Camry (what else would it have?) definitely looks worse than the black interior of my old Jetta. I just about don't care--it's a boring old car, inoffensive in every way. Whatever stains it has matches the well-worn character it has deservedly earned.

Originally Posted by grampi
Seems like almost all of the vehicles I've looked at lately have a black interior. Why is this color so popular? You open the door in the summer time after it's been sitting in a parking lot and it feels like you've opened the incinerator door. You can't leave anything in the vehicle because it either warps, melts, or dies. Why not more light colors? Heck, even grey is cooler than black. I don't get the black thing, it isn't even attractive...

Cloth or leather?

For some people darker colors look better, but the choose black because the typical alternatives are only light beige and gray which look worse for wear. This is especially true with cloth seats.
Black also goes well with almost any exterior color and since Americans as a rule would rather buy a car off a lot rather than order from factory the interior color black will appeal to wide range of buyers.
Black interiors are easier to clean.
For cost reasons (non-luxury) automakers typically only offer three colors and one will always be black.

If you want choices choose a luxury make. Example

Last edited:
Why can't I get vehicles with black interiors, much prefer them over others. I HATE the tan interior in my cherokee. Have hated it since I bought it 10 years ago. Even worse is the light gray interior in my Subaru. What an asinine idea - put a very light gray interior in a vehicle marketed to outdoorsy people.

I have black. I don't mind it but I have always favored brown interiors. Gray and beige get dirty and worn looking.

Drag out your JC Whitney catalog and get some seat covers. Problem solved.

Try it in the South !

I've had and currently have black on black vehicles. Southern NY our summers get hot and I've not had the same experience as you in Ohio. Never had anything warp or die but a protein bar sure will melt!

Originally Posted by Miller88
Why can't I get vehicles with black interiors, much prefer them over others. I HATE the tan interior in my cherokee. Have hated it since I bought it 10 years ago. Even worse is the light gray interior in my Subaru. What an asinine idea - put a very light gray interior in a vehicle marketed to outdoorsy people.

I don't know, of my last 3 vehicles, two of them had light gray interiors, and one had beige, and I would still gladly take either over black...

Originally Posted by redhat
I am the opposite in that I love black interior. Specifically I love black leather with a black headliner.

For me, I think it comes from being able to solely focus on driving and no bright objects in my peripheral vision -- whether it be day or night time. Also, I think the majority of black interior materials and pieces age well in regards to wear or fading. I have always found that light colored materials you seem to notice imperfections or separations/gaps easier.

This. We specifically got black interior in both vehicles this time around, as both my wife and I are very fond of it. Remote start prevents the sauna situation in the summer. We are also both fans of monochromatic paint schemes, which both vehicles have. That started with our '02 Expedition which was black w/black accents outside and we thought was sharp, although it had tan interior.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have black. I don't mind it but I have always favored brown interiors. Gray and beige get dirty and worn looking.

Drag out your JC Whitney catalog and get some seat covers. Problem solved.

I love brown too. My 335d was flat black exterior with saddle brown seats with black interior/headliner. Loved that car.

Seems like almost all of the vehicles I've looked at lately have a black interior. Why is this color so popular?

Probably because it matches well with pretty much any exterior paint color.

Light/beige interiors look fine with some exterior paint colors, and not so good with others.

So, if the manufacturer wants to minimize interior color variations, black is usually the safest bet.

Originally Posted by 4WD
We have light tan leather in the Tahoe … full time job keeping blue jean dye off the seats.

My Z71 is the first in years I decided to avoid hot black leather and do black fabric
Tint and windshield screen make it alright in public places … parked under roof at home

We have light tan in both our Audis. I use Meguiars gold class leather and vinyl cleaner. It really makes quick work of cleaning even the blue dye

Imo it is better looking by far, but that's all personal opinion. My work truck is dark grey and the time I spent cleaning all the mud out last weekend from nearly 10 years worth of work truck grime, made me realize how much worse it would have looked if it was a light color like tan. Black would have been better yet, but as you stated it sucks getting back into the truck baking in the sun. However, our truck isn't so bad because the cap on the back has dark tinted windows and so does the back seat...which seems to create a sort of shade in the truck so it doesn't get as hot as most vehicles.

As far as hiding the mud, my winter beater 83 Caprice would be best with it's chocolate brown interior, but nobody really does that color anymore. I don't really like the color either, but the car was $1500 in near mint condition 10 years ago so sometimes you take what you can get.

My summer car has dark maroon interior so you can bleed on it and not leave a stain lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by brages
Makes the car feel small and cave-like, IMO. Black headliner is the worst.

Same for me. I might buy a black interior if it's a used car and everything else is in great condition. When I'm buying new cars, the first criteria on the list is tan interior.

Depend on what type of leather, alot of the newer and synthetic stuff seems to easily stain or wear out much faster than the 90's and earlier 2000 stuff. The beige interior in the 90's benz look almost like new after 15 years other than floor mats with had become stained and headliner once it starting peelin. I would prefer having a dark interior(especially headliners and floormats) with light colored seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back