Differential Gear Oil Mixture ( Will it destroy my diffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I have a Toyota Hilux and went to have a diff oil change. I brought toyota fluids which called for 85w-90 for front and 85w-90 LSD for the rear. The swines ended up mixing their drum of Castrol 80w-90 with the toyota 85w-90 for the front and mixing Castrol SAE90 LSD with the toyota 85w-90 LSD. I live in a hot tropical climate. Will this mixture cause any damage or I can wait until the next change? Thanks!

Last edited:
And in addition, as long as both/all gear oils are the proper GL formulation and LSD where applicable, all should be good to go for the whole duration of this drain & refill.

Originally Posted by SilentForever05
Long story short, I have a Toyota Hilux and went to have a diff oil change. I brought toyota fluids which called for 85w-90 for front and 85w-90 LSD for the rear. The swines ended up mixing their drum of Castrol 80w-90 with the toyota 85w-90 for the front and mixing Castrol SAE90 LSD with the toyota 85w-90 LSD. I live in a hot tropical climate. Will this mixture cause any damage or I can wait until the next change? Thanks!

Go ask the swines, as you called them.

Last edited:
What do you mean "mixing"? Did they completely drain both diffs and then replace with the Castrol? I am assuming that is what happened.

I agree with Char Baby in that if the Castrol meet the specs then the Castrol should be fine.

Were these guys that did the changing Toyota employees? The reason I ask is most dealerships where I live use Castrol or Pennzoil as their gear lubes. Non synthetic of course.

They use Toyota ATF and coolant.

Originally Posted by Gebo
What do you mean "mixing"? Did they completely drain both diffs and then replace with the Castrol? I am assuming that is what happened.

I agree with Char Baby in that if the Castrol meet the specs then the Castrol should be fine.

Were these guys that did the changing Toyota employees? The reason I ask is most dealerships where I live use Castrol or Pennzoil as their gear lubes. Non synthetic of course.

They use Toyota ATF and coolant.

It is an independent shop. I brought the toyota oem gear oil ( no idea what company makes them over here) and the shop has existing drum of castrol gear oils. They pour the toyota bottles that I brought into their drum of castrol oil, essentially mixing them and putting it into the diffs.

When I do a LOF on a customers car or truck I often add gear oil to the differential. I have no clue what brand is in it already. I just top it off with what the manufacturer calls for.

Originally Posted by SilentForever05
It is an independent shop. I brought the toyota oem gear oil ( no idea what company makes them over here) and the shop has existing drum of castrol gear oils. They pour the toyota bottles that I brought into their drum of castrol oil, essentially mixing them and putting it into the diffs.

So you got a little bit of every other customer-supplied gear lube too if that was the case. I'd ask for a full refund since you're out the cash of your gear lube, and then have it done at someplace reputable.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
And in addition, as long as both/all gear oils are the proper GL formulation and LSD where applicable, all should be good to go for the whole duration of this drain & refill.

Thanks! The fluids that I brought and the castrol are both GL-5 and the rear both have LSD. So I be good until the next change of 4 years/ 40000km.

Their drum has a pump for filling diffs and gearboxes, to use your oil they would have to use a hand sludge pump...messy and time consuming. I don't blame them, and you got good oil anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back