Motorcraft Semi Synthetic...any good?

Originally Posted by PimTac
ConocoPhillips makes good oil. Why question it?

Exactly ^^^^

Only issue I see with it is price.... Used to be a decent deal for Motorcraft when it was $12 or even $14.... Now at $19+ it is priced too high in my opinion.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Exactly ^^^^

Only issue I see with it is price.... Used to be a decent deal for Motorcraft when it was $12 or even $14.... Now at $19+ it is priced too high in my opinion.

Yep
Wally World sell QSUD for the same price as MC

Very good point my friend ^^^↑^^^^^^

Price is not good anymore for Motorcraft.

I also think that is a negative especially when you can get good synthetic for less.

I have used Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20, 6 years in a 2014 Lincoln MKX. 100,000 miles on the clock @ 5000 OCI. I'm a fan. Has been a solid performer for me with no need to add between changes. I also agree that it's out priced itself. Next oil change I'm switching to QSAD 5w20 that I recently got on sale for $1.50/quart. Meets the Ford spec for my vehicle.

No sir
Better choices for the same money ðŸ‘

Last edited:

I also think that is a negative especially when you can get good synthetic for less.

True indeed Pim Tac.... I can get Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 full synthetic for $17.50 for 5 qts at Napa...

I ran Motorcraft semi-syn in my Lightning for one oci and it burned approx. a 1/3 of a quart between changes. It does not use any oil when running Motul, so I went back to that and all is well. I read somewhere that a lot of semi-syn's only have about 20% synthetic or less per quart.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I ran Motorcraft semi-syn in my Lightning for one oci and it burned approx. a 1/3 of a quart between changes. It does not use any oil when running Motul, so I went back to that and all is well. I read somewhere that a lot of semi-syn's only have about 20% synthetic or less per quart.

20% or less is probably a safe bet.

I've got a local outlet for Motul
I'm really interested in using that in my 2.0L Ecoboost Ford.

I run MC SB 5W20 in my 12 Fusion 2.5L. I recently did a sample at Blackstone after 8K miles OCI, which was 20% on the OLM. Results were excellent. I posted them in the analysis thread, go check it out.
As many point out on here, an awful lot of opinion and personal preference fly around as "fact". People say there is "better" oil for the money. "Better" based on what, the companies marketing campaigns? Show me facts, show me analysis results, show me hard data. If the label on the bottle says full synthetic rather than synthetic blend, that makes it "better"?

Last edited:
Synthetic is better for a couple things and worse for a couple other things.

Depends on what thing you need in your driving.

"Full Synthetic" is not a panacea of all automotive ills or engine wear in general

Last edited:
Years ago on this site before I joined -- Max Life Semi - Synthetic Red Bottle was a big luv amongst many members on here regarding a high mileage motor oil. Now Valvoline has Max Life Full Synthetic -- the following is not present like it used to be. Look up some older threads and you will see or remember just what I am saying.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
My Ford's did not like Motorcraft Semi Syn. Consumption was unacceptable.

I should note that my daughter was very pleased with MC SS in her 2010 Fiesta with long OCI's (too long!).

I should note that my daughter was very pleased with MC SS in her 2010 Fiesta with long OCI's (too long!).

Just curious,how long is too long?

I had it tested after a 9k + run. IOLM at 6%. The answer is that it works just fine up to 7k-8K.

It's not particularly cheap by the jug. So I wouldn't go out of my way to use it. It does mean that if your car uses 5w-20 or 5w-30, you might consider pulling into Quicklane for a change.

In my case I had 12ppm iron over the 9k. Very good. It was also clear that the oil was shot, however. I doubt many here would cut it so close.

Hasn't used a drop of oil in 89k miles.

After the extended warranty ran out I saw Castrol Edge EP for cheap so I'm trying that. I doubt that the wear numbers would be any better. It might have a bit more staying power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madeej11

Just curious,how long is too long?

She went by the OLM which was 18-20K miles (or 1 year). She was getting free oil changes from the dealer and that is what they used. When the free oil changes were used up she went with M1. Last summer I switched her to SuperTech.

100%
If it works in Ford's turbo (single and twin) applications well into hundreds of thousands of miles, it's as good as anything else when looking at the big picture.

Back