Generac brand motor oil?

I have a Generac Gaurdian 17k portable with 200 hrs and been using M1 HM 10w30 Syn yr-round here in the deep south.
But would Generac Syn 10w30 be any better at all?
Or would a straight 30w be better for the high heat here?

I would think the Mobil is one of the best choices for the price.

Many(most?) synthetic 10w-30 oils don't use VII's so they are a great choice. The base oil is what gives it a 10w rating. I don't think I've ever seen a SAE30 synthetic because of this property of synthetics.

I have a stationary Generac 17 kw generator that is hard wired to my house. The manual calls for 5W-30. Temps can get down into the 20's in the winter and 90's in the summer here although I have never had it kick on during the summer months other than as part of the self-testing program that is does. I use Castrol 5W-30 Magnatech full synthetic that I found on sale for about $17 for a jug.
What weight does your manual call for for a portable unit ?

have had a generac 5000 w portable for several years now...if I remember right the manual said to use 10 - 30 synthetic after yearly oil changes all is well

typical group III fake synthetic 10-30 is a good choice, BUT real synthetic PAO + Ester oils advertised as a 30W meet the 10-30 spec WITHOUT any viscosity improvers, but since cost is about triple + its overkill as well it matters not

Run SAE 30 C*-4, 15W-40 C*-4, 5W-40 C*-4, or 0W-40 CF & A3/B4 as I said in the other thread. 15W-40 and 5W-40 will decrease the efficiency a little, but they're good for reducing the wear.

A friend is a Generac tech and he told me the instructor at the gen school advised using M1 5-30. He has a lot of customers that he services their Generac gens and he uses M1 5-30. Even though those generators are problem heavy, he has never had an issue with the internals of the engine.

I have a portable Generac generator, a standby Generac generator and a Generac powered Dixie Chopper. Never a problem with any of them.

Originally Posted by DC_Stewart
I've had a 7500w Generac for about 10 years now and it always gets Mobil 1, 10-30. There is literally no visible engine wear.

No argument on Mobil 1 10W-30 being a good oil - just a question on: what is "visible engine wear"?

Back