Plugged Grease Nipple Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be the only person that didn't already know this but I had a grease nipple that would not accept grease. It was one of those that was pressed in and you couldn't screw out. I fiddled and I faddled until I noticed my propane torch standing at attention on my workbench. Hmmm.....

I fired that baby up and heated that nipple for about 5 seconds and she took grease like my dogs eating raw hamburger. GONE down the PIPE.

Maybe this will help someone???

I'm starting to learn fire and heat can do amazingly good things.

What you do not realize is that heating the fitting with a propane torch will ruin the spring that holds the check ball. The fitting now no longer seals and grease can leak back out, contaminants can go in.

Carefully heating the fitting with a heat gun till the grease starts flowing, without overheating might save the spring.

I have encountered my share of pressed in fittings and dislike them. I have had to tap new threads and replace them with threaded grease nipples many times.

I have a heat gun and never thought of using it. Went to tractor dealer this morning and paid $9 for 4 new ones!
Good info.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I may be the only person that didn't already know this but I had a grease nipple that would not accept grease. It was one of those that was pressed in and you couldn't screw out. I fiddled and I faddled until I noticed my propane torch standing at attention on my workbench. Hmmm.....

I fired that baby up and heated that nipple for about 5 seconds and she took grease like my dogs eating raw hamburger. GONE down the PIPE.

Maybe this will help someone???

I'm starting to learn fire and heat can do amazingly good things.

Yeah

Or keep a few spares in your tool box and just change em out
Their really cheap

He said he couldn't remove the grease nipple.

I too keep a stash of grease nipples that I use once every 20 years. I started stashing when I bought a new 74 Torino that came with screw plugs where grease nipples should be at the ball joints.

This nipple was pressed in and I couldn't screw it out.

Originally Posted by oldhp
5 seconds of heat? You didn't hurt anything.

I know
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by oldhp
5 seconds of heat? You didn't hurt anything.

That is what I was thinking . You certainly did not damage a spring . If you would have damaged anything , it would be a rubber seal / boot . Which I doubt .

Originally Posted by Rick505
Originally Posted by atikovi
They make special tools for that, https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.c...P1JbTiOL-scQbTHRgQdG4kgXF70aAqMlEALw_wcB

Or the cheaper "pocket" model for occasional use
https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Pocket-Grease-FittingJoint-Rejuvenator-P47527C875.aspx

I venture that many here are tool junkies and any excuse to buy one is good enough, especially the complete set. Better to have a tool you don't need than not have a tool you do need.

i use an awl and poke the ball in the nipple and move it around and then the fitting will usually take grease. not 100% but worth a try

Originally Posted by Kestas
He said he couldn't remove the grease nipple.

I too keep a stash of grease nipples that I use once every 20 years. I started stashing when I bought a new 74 Torino that came with screw plugs where grease nipples should be at the ball joints.

My 1993 Pathfinder's front suspension was fitted with plugs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back