Help with new job outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all,

I was given the choice to be fired or "resign" about two weeks ago. I'm somewhat irritated as i just got my hearing aids and what a difference it makes. I was thrown out the door as i did everything asked but some of the proprietary software i wasn't "perfect" at using.and perfect was said. My boss was given and additional department to run and according to him he hated his boss and "things weren't going well for him". I saw somecred flags when i was hired. I. Was told in my interview "we lied the job isn't technically technical writing." I resigned somewhat reluctantly as firing hurt job prospects. So how do I deal with this on future job applications? I was already looking. It was an airline job so alot of people know each other. All help appreciated.

Sorry to hear that. Do you get any compensation for the layoff / firing / resign? If being fired hurt your chance of getting unemployment get a lawyer, they might be able to help negotiate for more compensation, because they said they lied about the job description.

Not know which state you are from we can't help with the local laws. At will employment will not protect you for these firing, but some state may consider unemployment for firing as well.

I wasn't fired. I took the resign option. I had considered a lawyer due to the hearing aids and hearing loss but was told it was a slippery slope. Two can i get unemployment if i was forced to resign? Not sure.

Don't disclose it unless asked. I don't believe (double check this) that the new employer is allowed to ask "why" your employment was ended. To bad you "quit" as it's unlikely that you will be eligible for UI. But still file, what's the worst that can happen.. they say no? You can challenge a denial but that will take time and you won't receive payments during that time but will get back pay if you were to win. But that process can literally take months and you'll still need to look for work.

Last edited:
There are probably a million links on resume writing. I was thinking about changing jobs a few months ago (glad I didn't, man!) and luckily have a 33 yo daughter who knows the current, correct way to construct a resume. It's different than the old days. You have about 15 seconds to catch an HR person's interest and as always it helps to have someone on the inside for a good reference.

Tough timing, best of luck.

Can you get unemployment if you resign?

I usually prefer to be fired but with an agreement with HR that it be classified as resignation in their files

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Can you get unemployment if you resign?

I usually prefer to be fired but with an agreement with HR that it be classified as resignation in their files

No, otherwise everyone would be taking a job and "resigning". ...‚.. you can only get it for being laid off and some very very specific reasons like if you can prove you quit due to harassment or some other employer violation of a protected status like a qualifying disability. Quitting/resigning is almost always denied.

Last edited:
You were fired, employers think thats a way out of unemployment, Its not. You had no control over the situation. An unemployment Judge will rule in your favor after the facts come out.

Originally Posted by stroked93
You were fired, employers think thats a way out of unemployment, Its not. You had no control over the situation. An unemployment Judge will rule in your favor after the facts come out.

I think this is true.

I'm hiring someone currently and I ask why they left different positions.

You don't even need to lie to come up with something creative. "The position and responsibilities were not what I was expecting."

Apply for unemployment. Everyone else is too and they won't look too closely at your application.

You got something close to a "constructive dismissal"-- they gave you work that wasn't in your job description that you weren't qualified to do.

Let the unemployment guys figure it out.

Your post is pretty mushy for a technical writer unless you used a phone for assembling it, that always converts my perfectly legible, correctly spelled, well punctuated missive into an indecipherable mess. I'm not even close to being a professional technical writer.

I'm not sure what you do or wanna do, or where you are in your life.
All I can tell you is education set me free; it paved the road to job (and financial) independence.

Good luck; I hope you land somewhere great!

It's easier to get a job when your employed vs not being employed. Keep in mind states have different rules regarding unemployment, so a "constructive dismissal" in Maine if it's such a thing might not exist at all in Alabama.

You should have let them terminate you.

They obviously wont rehire you and most past employers will not discuss why "Joe Smith" is no longer with the company when a prospective employer calls to verify if you worked there. That is why it's easier to get a new job when your already employed.
The company your trying to get on at doesn't know the truth why you no longer work at your last job and people often lie when asked during an interview.

If your terminated in my state, you can get unemployment, but it takes an extra week to get vs a real layoff or job cut.

Previous employer is not allowed to comment about you.

You can write anything you want on the resume.

I passed a background check for my last employer, and they gave me a copy of the results, including the employment verification.

Surely a large airline will use a service like the Work Number, they hire them to give dates only so they don't get sued.

Originally Posted by JustinH
Previous employer is not allowed to comment about you.

You can write anything you want on the resume.

I passed a background check for my last employer, and they gave me a copy of the results, including the employment verification.

Surely a large airline will use a service like the Work Number, they hire them to give dates only so they don't get sued.

Not quite correct - when asked for a reference the previous employer can AWLAYS simply reply -

" That person worked here from this date to that date"

That means there is no reference and in turn - no recommendation to hire.

OR the Previous employer can give a glowing reference.

UD

Wow a million thanks. Hopefully my future prospects will pan out. I'm looking at the Las Cruces NM, job and some in Phoenix

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
It's easier to get a job when your employed vs not being employed. Keep in mind states have different rules regarding unemployment, so a "constructive dismissal" in Maine if it's such a thing might not exist at all in Alabama.

You should have let them terminate you.

They obviously wont rehire you and most past employers will not discuss why "Joe Smith" is no longer with the company when a prospective employer calls to verify if you worked there. That is why it's easier to get a new job when your already employed.
The company your trying to get on at doesn't know the truth why you no longer work at your last job and people often lie when asked during an interview.

If your terminated in my state, you can get unemployment, but it takes an extra week to get vs a real layoff or job cut.

There's no constructive dismissal in WA state where I'm at. Unless you were fired for gross misconduct, it's actually easier to get UI benefits for being fired than a wilful termination of employment. For wilful termination, the state website list's out several categories under which you could potentially still be eligible for benefits. If the employer won't agree to lay you off, it's almost always better to be "fired" than voluntarily quit. That's a less steep hill to climb than the "I just quit" one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back