Any dark siders here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if any of you are running one on your bike, and if so, how do you like it?

NOT a smart move!! besides poor handling + braking its NOT legal in many areas + can VOID insurance claims. there are motorcycle tyres offering better mileage while lacking performance but still better than a car tyre!! dont be CHEAP be SAFE!!

Here's a thread that discusses "Darksiding" a bike. There's a comment from Bitog's own ACTUAL (retired) tire engineer, links to statements from tire manufacturers on why it's a bad idea, my own experience with riding various "darksided" bikes, and one VERY zealous supporter of the practice.

Bitog "Darkside" thread

The discussion of this subject always seems to be heated as both the pro and anti sides are firm believers, but it always begs one question; why not make motorcycle tires out of the same compound that's used to make car tires? The first company that did this would force others to do the same, or go out of business. Unless a super soft compound is needed for performance, deciding whether to buy a tire that lasts 10K miles vs one that lasts 40K miles would be a no brainer...

Originally Posted by grampi
The discussion of this subject always seems to be heated as both the pro and anti sides are firm believers, but it always begs one question; why not make motorcycle tires out of the same compound that's used to make car tires? The first company that did this would force others to do the same, or go out of business. Unless a super soft compound is needed for performance, deciding whether to buy a tire that lasts 10K miles vs one that lasts 40K miles would be a no brainer...

There some motorcycle tires on the market that have harder rubber in the middle and softer rubber on the sides. Most bikes are using the center section of the tire much more than the sides, so the harder rubber in the middle of the tire gives more wear mileage. I've never tried a tire designed like that, but I can see how it would be beneficial for guy who aren't canyon carvers all day long.

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tyres/michelin-pilot-road-2

https://www.revzilla.com/multi-compound-motorcycle-tires

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

There some motorcycle tires on the market that have harder rubber in the middle and softer rubber on the sides. Most bikes are using the center section of the tire much more than the sides, so the harder rubber in the middle of the tire gives more wear mileage. I've never tried a tire designed like that, but I can see how it would be beneficial for guy who aren't canyon carvers all day long.

Even the dual compound tires won't last 30-40K miles, in fact, I still see where guys are having to replace them at 12-15K miles or less, which to me is still unacceptable...

Spooning Auto rubber onto your bike is not a tire solution rather its just a rim protector...

[Linked Image]

I do. I like it. I will keep doing it regardless of what those that have not done it say.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by benjy
NOT a smart move!! besides poor handling + braking its NOT legal in many areas + can VOID insurance claims. there are motorcycle tyres offering better mileage while lacking performance but still better than a car tyre!! dont be CHEAP be SAFE!!

Handling is different, but not any worse, braking is better, not illegal anywhere in the USA, and will not void an insurance claim any more that modifying any other vehicle.

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Spooning Auto rubber onto your bike is not a tire solution rather its just a rim protector...

[Linked Image]

That is not an accurate representation of a loaded car tire on a motorcycle.

Grampi, the ironic thing about tire compounds is that car tires are softer than bike tires. See this post on a darkside forum

I would never tell anyone to go darkside based on my opinion. Every rider has different needs and expectations, as well as riding conditions and styles. As well as different bikes.
Do some research for yourself. Don't just have a knee jerk reaction to it.
I did my research for my bike and my riding style and my needs, and darkside seems to be what will work for me.
It is not for me on every bike, on my current one it is.
I know some that have done it, and did not like it, so they went back to a bike tire. But I know many more that tried and and won't go back.
Only you can decide if it is the right choice for you.

I am done with this thread though because all the internet know it alls come out with their blah, blah, blah... you're stupid, cheap, don't belong on a bike, don't know what you're talking about, I will sue you if you hit me riding darkside, etc, etc, etc.

This has been discussed ad nauseum in previous threads on Bitog. I got 12,000 miles from my last Dunlop dual compound rear tire and 19,000 from the same brand/type front tire. My current set is Michelin dual compound so I'll see how they do vs the Dunlop's as far as wear goes. I'm OK with that kind of mileage and knowing that I have the best tires that were designed for my motorcycle. I ride with dark siders occasionally and they seem to like the car tires as far as mileage goes but I personally would never want a car tire on any motorcycle I ride. The feel from the abrupt edge of a tire designed for a car vs the smooth contoured transition from center to sidewall of a motorcycle tire in a tight turn or curve would seem disconcerting to me if not down right dangerous. Use what you want but just my
49.gif

Last edited:
That's weird about the car tire compound being softer than bike tires. I wonder why they last so much longer?

The engineers smack their heads in disbelief at the degree of bad handling their customers will put up just to save a few bucks on tire expenses...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
The engineers smack their heads in disbelief at the degree of bad handling their customers will put up just to save a few bucks on tire expenses...

[Linked Image]

MC tire manufacturers could save everyone money if they'd design tires that would last longer...there's no reason they can't...

Even the dual compound tires won't last 30-40K miles, in fact, I still see where guys are having to replace them at 12-15K miles or less, which to me is still unacceptable...

The reason car tires (which typically have softer rubber than motorcycle tires) last longer on a motorcycle is because there is lots more rubber in contact with the road (ie, less PSI on the tread) when cruising down the road in a straight line. Compare the contact patch on a motorcycle tire to a car tire. Can't really get around basic physics with changing the rubber compound.

The reason car tires (which typically have softer rubber than motorcycle tires) last longer on a motorcycle is because there is lots more rubber in contact with the road (ie, less PSI on the tread) when cruising down the road in a straight line. Compare the contact patch on a motorcycle tire to a car tire. Can't really get around basic physics with changing the rubber compound.

That makes sense...

MC tire manufacturers could save everyone money if they'd design tires that would last longer...there's no reason they can't...

Manufactures have saved us money... switching from the old bias ply tires to radials did increase mileage and more importantly improved grip...
you're not going to see them improved mileage at the risk of decrease grip just for buyers who open their wallets with a torque wrench...
loosing rear the wheel on your prized bike is not only life threatening but also costly...

The Bridegstone S21 tires I suggested to you years ago, had multiple compounds across the tread. For the rear there was essentially HARD in the middle, MEDIUM as you leaned it over more, and SOFT at the edge of the tread. Bridgestone refers to this as 5LC. For the front it was essentially MEDIUM in the middle, and SOFT out to the edge of the tread. Brdigestone refers to this as 3LC.

Lots of M/C tires with different compounds across the face of the tread.

It all depends on you. I have never seen or heard of a darksided tire de-laminating or throwing thread. I have heard of bike tires doing this.

They do in fact handle quite different, not bad but quite different. Wide bars to apply more force are appreciated. They also tend to be more sensitive to inflation pressure.

Typical cornering speed is the same or in some cases a little higher since the shape of the tire gives you a bit more lean angle. This is on street bikes , not sport bikes

There are some bikes, like triumph rocket, goldwing with a lot of torque that do very well on them,

Cue the yellow wolf videos on youtube. He did ultimately crash, but watch the videos, I think he was going to crash anyway, no safety margin.

It is an option. use your description.

Rod

Wow! I had no idea this was a thing. Except on the 'Boss Hoss" V8 powered motorcycle, which on the early models, used a car rim and tire.

A friend had one, and I took it for a ride around the block. I though the clutch was slipping at first. But it was just leaving a big single rubber strip down the road. The rear tire eventually shredded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back