First pet in the house

The earlier suggestion for a quiet room with food/water, a litter box and a place to sleep is for YOU, not the cat. The cat will take over the rest of the house.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
The earlier suggestion for a quiet room with food/water, a litter box and a place to sleep is for YOU, not the cat. The cat will take over the rest of the house.

Snuggling with the cats is one of the best things in the world though.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but get a pot with or plant kitty grass (rye, barley, wheat) that will aid digestion and help bring up hairballs. Also get a scratch post. My cat likes one with a perch on top.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
You are a good person for rescuing that cat!
Do you have any pics of her?

Thank you.
She is a shy 5 pounds 1 year old short hair Tortoise shell (black + grey + beige +some white).
No pictures yet. She manged 2 days in a dead space between cabinets, and the rest is under our queen bed.

Buy her a toy with KAT NIP. That stuff is like reefer/weed/pot to a cat. I bet if you get a toy with a long whip like rod, toy at the other end with KAT NIP, she will come out and play.

CATTOY.jpg

Some cats really know how to play, and others do not know how to. If your cat is one that knows how to play one of the things it would enjoy is 3 or 4 fake mice. They sell them at pet stores and Walmart. They cost about $4.50 to $7.00 each but the cat will use them for many years. They pounce on them, and throw them and carry them around. They can really get into playing with them, if your cat is one of the ones that knows how to play. You might start off with one or two of them.

Anytime you approach an animal that is not familiar with you remember:

To a horse, cat, or dog an outstretched hand with the fingers spread out to them means a paw with the claws spread out. To them that is very threatening and they will respond with either flight or fight especially if they do not know the person.

To a horse, cat, or dog an outstretched hand with the fingers made into a fist and held steady means a paw with the claws retracted and an invitation to come over and associate with the person.

Simply remaining calm, saying very little, and what you say is in a soft low voice, and keeping your fist clenched (claws retracted to them) goes a long way in not getting the animal worked up.

I give my cat Purina One dry food in the morning for her breakfast and Purina One wet food at night for her dinner. I brush her and bathe her with a barely damp wash cloth or cat wipes once a week. I brush her teeth every night.

She sleeps in the bed with us under the covers and always massages me till I fall asleep,and she holds onto me all night till she wakes me up head butting me in the face every morning. And if I don't wake up right away she sits in a ball on my head till I wake up haha!!

I don't. None of my cats ever exhibited the sort of joint stiffening/pain that becomes pretty common in dogs.

I think you're way ahead of the curve brushing your cat's teeth. I think that's a bit reason mine has made it to 20 and still going (mostly) strong. Definitely one of those things you have to start early. We took in an adult stray and she would never put up with it.

Originally Posted by JOD
I don't. None of my cats ever exhibited the sort of joint stiffening/pain that becomes pretty common in dogs.

I think you're way ahead of the curve brushing your cat's teeth. I think that's a bit reason mine has made it to 20 and still going (mostly) strong. Definitely one of those things you have to start early. We took in an adult stray and she would never put up with it.

What do you use to brush your cat's teeth? Do you use any of that toothpaste for cats? I just use warm water and a soft bristle toothbrush. I also use cat eye wipes to clean her eyes and face daily.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

What do you use to brush your cat's teeth? Do you use any of that toothpaste for cats? I just use warm water and a soft bristle toothbrush. I also use cat eye wipes to clean her eyes and face daily.

I use the little finger bristle thing, and this toothpaste: https://www.amazon.com/Petrodex-Den...mp;swrs=19B341DBA80030C1572690515FB2DA05

That said, the vet told me long ago that even water and abrasion from your finger works. She actually likes the flavor of the toothpaste, so it makes it easier.

I my experience, if you don't do this with them as kittens, they'll never put up with it later.

Originally Posted by pandus13
HELLO BITOG-ers.

Did you do anything special when you got your first furry "kid"?

We just adopted a shelter cat and she is still terrorized/really scared.

Just makes you wonder how some people treat animals....

Also, i would appreciate any suggestions for good nutrition and stores/source
The shelter give us some Hills samples and they contain wheat + fillers galore.

You need to give her a safe space. If possible, give her her own room. Provide a hiding space, which could be under a bed or you can make something out of a cardboard box. Get her a cat tree. Get her some toys. Make the house cat-navigable. Cats like to climb and walk over things. It's very important to give her places she can claim to be hers, like a cat bed or some other place to sit or sleep.

As for the food, my feral rescues get Friskies Surfin' and Turfin' Favorites dry food and all sorts of varieties of Friskies wet canned food. They get Temptations Backyard Cookout cat treats and occasionally the Fancy Feast Broths. Always provide fresh water, which needs to be put away from the food. Food and water both need to be away from the litter boxes. I use the Dr. Elsey's Premium Multicat Unscented litter (blue bag).

She will be very friendly soon.

Buy good food for the cat. Least amount of ingredients as possible and nothing artificial. Cheap food for cats or dogs can cause disturbing results over time.

My Keeks' fave litter is Arm and Hammer Double Duty. I bought her somer Feline Greenies Dental Treats yesterday on my way home from work.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Buy good food for the cat. Least amount of ingredients as possible and nothing artificial. Cheap food for cats or dogs can cause disturbing results over time.

I know some people like to buy the most expensive gourmet food for their pets, with the belief that it's better.

I personally go with major-name-brand cat food -- Friskies by Nestlé to be exact. My cats are extremely healthy and never get sick. They are not even six years old yet (40 in human years). Hopefully they will have long healthy lives.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

HELLO BITOG-ers.

I got a cat from my vet. A beautiful Maine Coon. As soon as he was home he shot under my bed. He stayed for a day. Finally, impatience won out and I began to crawl under after him to pet. As soon as he saw me, the growling began. Maine coons are large...and sharp on all 4 corners. Being in a confined space, I slowed my roll a bit, but he wasnt posturing. Inching forward, he began to sound more and more like a meth fueled garbage disposal. Still, being me, I slowly stretched a hand out. He stopped growling and gave it a sniff. Then another. Then I petted an ear and he leaned into it and I scratched behind his ears and the purring began. I withdrew from under the bed, and he shortly followed. He has followed me room to room through 2 apartments and finally my house, over the last 8 years like a dog. I love that cat.

Originally Posted by Ws6
HELLO BITOG-ers.

I got a cat from my vet. A beautiful Maine Coon. As soon as he was home he shot under my bed. He stayed for a day. Finally, impatience won out and I began to crawl under after him to pet. As soon as he saw me, the growling began. Maine coons are large...and sharp on all 4 corners. Being in a confined space, I slowed my roll a bit, but he wasnt posturing. Inching forward, he began to sound more and more like a meth fueled garbage disposal. Still, being me, I slowly stretched a hand out. He stopped growling and gave it a sniff. Then another. Then I petted an ear and he leaned into it and I scratched behind his ears and the purring began. I withdrew from under the bed, and he shortly followed. He has followed me room to room through 2 apartments and finally my house, over the last 8 years like a dog. I love that cat.

I have a Maine coon too. There's a reason they are nicked named the gentle giant. She's a female and 22 pounds. The vet she goes too says she's the biggest cat they've seen. She's family to me.

Back