Berryman Intake Valve and Combustion Chamber Cleaner kit (2611)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone try the new Berryman Intake Valve and Combustion Cleaner, this is PEA-based and not the original HEST formula ?
Wonder if this is as effective as CRC IVC GDI ?

Originally Posted by Donald
Why not Techron - its the tried and true. What is the percentage PEA?

Techron does not have a kit to spray into GDI. Its a dump in the tank treatment.

Originally Posted by kr_bitog
Has anyone try the new Berryman Intake Valve and Combustion Cleaner, this is PEA-based and not the original HEST formula ?
Wonder if this is as effective as CRC IVC GDI ?

Not that one but I do have the HEST kit. I was gonna do it this weekend but I just couldn't find the time. I use pea based pour in treatments already, so the solvents in the HEST kit are more than enough for the valves.

What is "HEST"?

And the SDS lists 6-10%PEA just as an FYI, not sure how that compares to other spray kits.

Originally Posted by Davejam
What is "HEST"?

And the SDS lists 6-10%PEA just as an FYI, not sure how that compares to other spray kits.

High Energy Solvent Technology.

None of that weak sauce which is commonly found in MMO, Seafoam et al.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Davejam
Hmm, how does this HEST treat gaskets, seals, etc?

For me, don't know and don't care.. it's going into the intake to clean valves.
smirk2.gif
...but I bet your Google machine can help answer that.

Last edited:
I tried it yesterday on my 2015 Honda Accord 4 cylinder 2.4l. Everything went fine.....Until it stopped flowing when the can was about 3/4 empty. I suppose the small orifice in the silver fitting got clogged? After nothing came out for about 5 minutes, I just kind of went the seafoam route and took off the silver piece and just stuck the clear tube in the throttle body and squirted the rest in without chocking off the engine. let it sit 30 minutes and drove. Lots of white smoke and ROUGH engine. Felt like it was on 3 cylinders. Drove about 10 miles and turned off the engine. When I turned it back on, everything was fine. The check engine light went off and has not came back.

That's how the induction kit went. Engine ran rough immediately afterwards but after a nice run at highway speeds it cleared everything out and ran/runs just fine.

Brake cleaner or carb cleaner will do just as good a job of removing carbon/gunk/buildup from the inlet tract.

Why not map out your egr and use exhaust extraction instead of PCV and never get any buildup in your inlet ever again? think of the savings on cleaning treatments over the life of the vehicle..

Originally Posted by Thunderball
I tried it yesterday on my 2015 Honda Accord 4 cylinder 2.4l. Everything went fine.....Until it stopped flowing when the can was about 3/4 empty. I suppose the small orifice in the silver fitting got clogged? After nothing came out for about 5 minutes, I just kind of went the seafoam route and took off the silver piece and just stuck the clear tube in the throttle body and squirted the rest in without chocking off the engine. let it sit 30 minutes and drove. Lots of white smoke and ROUGH engine. Felt like it was on 3 cylinders. Drove about 10 miles and turned off the engine. When I turned it back on, everything was fine. The check engine light went off and has not came back.

..... but you're silent on what matters-most.
You haven't mentioned if your engine performance / idle has improved since. Was it worth the time, effort and money spent?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

..... but you're silent on what matters-most.
You haven't mentioned if your engine performance / idle has improved since. Was it worth the time, effort and money spent?

It ran so terrible just after the treatment that in comparison, now that it is running properly, it feels like a brand new engine. In other words I have no proof of improved performance. I tell myself it idles better and runs smoother. I'll do it again eventually.

*** Thoughts on the following avenues to get Intake Valve Cleaner to all the valves :

1) Though the PCV hose (easy)
2) Through the Brake Booster hose or vacuum hose (next easiest)
3) Though the Intake Manifold (more difficult ; involves removing air dams , air ducts , hoses , etc. to get to the Intake Manifold)

I'll need to find a picture diagram, as-to where the brake booster or PCV hoses are in my 2019 2.4 GDI. I see the Intake manifold near the bottom of the engine. I see a couple plastic hoses, near the top of the engine that duct to the manifold at the bottom

I'll need to find out more on those two somewhat thin plastic inlets,..... whatever they are called / used for. I didn't think taking off the rubber hose to the manifold required taking more things off near the top. There's not much room for spraying contents of the CRC can at the bottom of the engine. I suspect I'll need to tilt the can a-lot and it may quit spraying it's contents, after only being half-empty.

Sometimes I regret not buying the non GDI / non turbo, little smaller RAV4 instead, at a +3K in price.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*** Thoughts on the following avenues to get Intake Valve Cleaner to all the valves :

1) Though the PCV hose (easy)
2) Through the Brake Booster hose or vacuum hose (next easiest)
3) Though the Intake Manifold (more difficult ; involves removing air dams , air ducts , hoses , etc. to get to the Intake Manifold)

For me the brake booster was easier to get to as the PCV is tucked away behind the TB. But yeah, one of those 2 are gonna be the easiest route. I've done it via the intake hose but too much (IMO) gets blocked by the throttle plate that way and condenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back