Synthetic goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this small oil-in compressor that I use for small tools, tire inflation, etc. I got a real deal on it------for a reason. Since I bought it 5 years ago, it's a great summertime compressor, but has never started without preheating in my unheated garage, in the winter. Last summer, looking for things to do (now retired), I decided to service the compressor. One major item was to drain the original oil and replace it with nice clean oil. Since all I had was some synthetic (Mobil 1) that I had for the mower, I used that. It will now start right up in any temperature and has become a truly useful tool......all because of the right oil. Synthetic is definitely the way to go in anything that uses a lubricant.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You know they make actual Syn compressor oils that work amazing. I doubt it hurts anything but passenger car oils have additives that you don't want or need in a compressor. I use the ingersol Rand oils in my compressor, available at any tractor supply.

It was suggested to me to use Ingersoll Rand All Season when I bought my little Makita and when it's single digits or colder to open up the tank valve and let it run for a bit before trying to build pressure.

I weld for a small machine shop and their compressor is about 30 years old. The only oil it's ever had is M1 10-30. This thing runs several hours every day in an unheated part of the shop. It starts up fine even in very cold temps.

I've been told air compressors use ND oil for a reason.....So the wear particles/debris don't stay suspended in the oil. There are dedicated ISO 100 synthetic compressor oils available, Amsoil & Royal Purple are 2.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd have to see proof of that statement. There's just nothing in a compressor that would "defile" the oil. It's simply the bottom end of an engine with no top end contaminants.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I've been told air compressors use ND oil for a reason.....So the wear particles/debris don't stay suspended in the oil. There are dedicated ISO 100 synthetic compressor oils available, Amsoil & Royal Purple are 2.

Did you notice my post above yours?

Originally Posted by DC_Stewart
Yeah, I'd have to see proof of that statement. There's just nothing in a compressor that would "defile" the oil. It's simply the bottom end of an engine with no top end contaminants.

That's not entirely true, Most industrial reciprocating compressors use Tapered Roller Bearings for Mains & Needle Roller Bearings at the Wrist Pins, Inserts are used on the big end of the connecting rod/s very similar to IC engines. In a splash lubed model....There are "Dippers" on the connecting rods to force lube into the Inserts.

Without a filter to filter out wear metals/debris....They need to drop out of suspension. This have nothing to do with combustion by-products (What turns oil black in a IC engine).

Dedicated compressor oils are subjected to Foam Testing (Stability & Tendency) that motor oils don't need to be tested for.

Every major compressor manufacturer recommends ND oil, Or more specifically......ISO non-detergent industrial lubricant with rust and oxidation inhibitors specifically formulated for reciprocating compressors. Including.....
Quincy
Champion
Saylor Beall
Kellogg American
Eaton/Polar Air
Ingersoll Rand

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by clinebarger

Did you notice my post above yours?

I did notice......What do you want me to say? Mobil does have dedicated compressor oils, In fact I'm running Mobil Rarus 427 (ISO 100) in my 39 year old Kellogg American 332TVX compressor & has had nothing but ND oil it's entire life. Don't need synthetic or low viscosity oil because I don't start it in below freezing temperatures.....I'll heat the shop up first.

I also have a 60+ year old Mills compressor in a unheated garage, It'll start at 25°F with ISO 100, Rarely gets colder than that here.

I'm not saying a compressor will blow up using modern IC engine oils, But

Well, I guess Google is your friend, though the answers given are all very vague and look like they're written by compressor oil salesmen. Basically it looks like compressor oil is old cheap detergentless oil.
Anyhoo, seeing the difference in my compressor's performance, it's Mobil 1 for me.

https://www.hunker.com/13415287/what-is-the-difference-between-air-compressor-oil-motor-oil

https://air-compressor-help.com/air-compressor-oil-vs-engine-oil/

https://www.cargister.com/compressor-oil-vs-motor-oil/

https://bettertoolz.com/oil-for-air-compressor/

https://yourgarageguide.com/can-i-use-motor-oil-in-my-air-compressor/

Last edited:
I can't really say using Mobil 1 SN+ oil is bad in your situation, It's not like you depend on it to make a living. Or it's a expensive compressor to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back