gloves for wrenching my cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know HF has disposable gloves in a few different thicknesses. What thickness do the mechanics at shops wear? Don't want to get ones so thin they rip just putting them on.

With pets there gross things I must do and gloves would help, like cleaning cat litter.

Then there is clearing mouse traps where the mouse did not choose wisely.

For pet duty I just use plastic bags as from the grocery store.

Not a mechanic, but I buy both cheapo HF vinyl and nitrile, thin ones. I did buy the black ones recently, thicker and last longer, haven't used yet. But I find that I rarely wear gloves for longer than 10 minutes before they are off again. Some good reason comes up to take them off. Vinyl works ok for oil changes: the oil attacks the gloves, but since I pull the bolt and then the glove is off, then pull a filter some time later and then that glove is off, so forth, it's not been an issue.

I do have a couple sets of mechanics gloves for work that isn't oily but where I might bash my hands. I did clean one set with Dawn in the sink as they had gotten loaded up, but then noticed a hole. I suspect for most people, when they load up, it's probably not far from time to replace.

Costco has nitrile gloves that are fine for pet duty, not wrenching. For wrenching you need something 9m. HF has 9mil black gloves that i use. I use hand lotion on my hands before donning. The lotion seems to make it easier to clean my hands in case of a glove break.

Being in the medical field, I can't go back to work with diesel mechanic looking hands.

I buy 6.3 mil Nitrile from Amazon. Diamond brand. They break or tear on occasion, but that thickness allows me to feel what I'm doing, so I'll take the breakage. They're out of stock at the moment.

Originally Posted by supton

Not a mechanic, but I buy both cheapo HF vinyl and nitrile, thin ones. I did buy the black ones recently, thicker and last longer, haven't used yet. But I find that I rarely wear gloves for longer than 10 minutes before they are off again. Some good reason comes up to take them off. Vinyl works ok for oil changes: the oil attacks the gloves, but since I pull the bolt and then the glove is off, then pull a filter some time later and then that glove is off, so forth, it's not been an issue.

I do have a couple sets of mechanics gloves for work that isn't oily but where I might bash my hands. I did clean one set with Dawn in the sink as they had gotten loaded up, but then noticed a hole. I suspect for most people, when they load up, it's probably not far from time to replace.

Well NY implemented no more plastic bags. And paper bags are a nickle. I am saving old pet food bags to dump the used cat litter in. And similar.

I use to make use of at least 50% of the plastic bags I ended up with, lunch and cat litter. And for use as a glove replacement at times

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by supton

Well NY implemented no more plastic bags. And paper bags are a nickle. I am saving old pet food bags to dump the used cat litter in. And similar.

I use to make use of at least 50% of the plastic bags I ended up with, lunch and cat litter. And for use as a glove replacement at times

I use trash bags for litter.

Gloveworks HD is the way to go for wrenching. I gave up on HF nitrile blacks, too many times having the gloves tear too easily.
AMMEX.COM

Last edited:
I use the 7mm nitrile gloves. Most of my wrenching is on bikes, though, and the bolts are smaller. I just don't have enough feel w/the 9mm gloves. Yes, they can tear--I just change them out when they do. After resisting forever, I'm now a diehard glove wearer...

If I'm doing suspension or brake work, I use these: https://www.harborfreight.com/safet...sional-mechanics-gloves-large-62525.html They cushion the blow when you hands bang into something.

I use those gloves for mountain biking as well. They're pretty nice, and a great deal on sale.

I keep 5mm and 9mm around for various tasks. Oil changes, BBQ, and general nasty stuff. Cotton gloves underneath makes it easy to pick up a whole brisket or butt without burns or greas.

HF coupons let me keep enough around and they're always eligible for 20% off and the occasional 30%.

Look up one of 53 Stude's oil filter cut and posts. Those gloves are great and only cost like $7 for a box of 50. They are the Gorilla Grip brand from Walmart and are perfect for working on your car. The same brand has a less expensive version with less grip for lighter duty.

I use 5 , 7, and 9 mil disposable gloves from HF. I buy them with the 20% off coupon, or when on sale, and found them to be great. I match the gloves to the task at hand.

I use SAS Safety Corp, Astro-Grip 7 mil gloves. I like the high-vis orange as well.

Didn't used to wear gloves....I now wear them 99% of the time while wrenching. GM had this "Special Grease" that you could taste in your mouth while handling it with your hands, Spooked me pretty good!!

SAS Raven gloves are what I usually use for working on car stuff that involves chemicals or fluids it where mechanics gloves don't give me the dexterity needed... They are plenty strong.

At work the demand for disposable gloves is really high right now so I got smart and ordered a ton before the warehouse ran out. Selling a bunch every day!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back