Kirkland vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Maybe I missed it, but looking for opinions on the Costco Kirkland synthetic oil and how it compares to Mobil 1 synthetic. I have used Mobil 1 for years happily and am thinking about switching over to a more cost effective oil since this came out. I use Mobil 1 filters as well and at the moment am thinking I will go with a standard Wix. I looked at the XP but it seems the efficiency is less to ensure it wont clog on long OCI. I live in the desert with dusty weather, so I think more efficiency would be good and just change oil more often. I have seen a couple threads talking about the Kirkland oil, it seems to meet all the current specs and is from a good distributor, but wonder what the thought is on how it stacks up on the oil I am used to using...

Thank you.

Kirkland/Amazon Basics/SuperTech synthetic is all made by Warren and pretty much the exact same oil from what I've seen. I think regular Mobil 1 is slightly better but you be the judge if it's worth the extra $$.

The standard Wix filters are great filters. I run nothing but Wix and Wix XP on all of my vehicles. Edit: Not on the Tundras. I run the factory Toyota filters.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Mobil 1 is likely "better" but Warren is much better than good enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Save you money and get the Kirkland's Signature. You will not notice a difference in engine performance or wear levels following an OEM recommended OCI. 10 quarts of Kirkland's Signature cost the same as a 5 quart jug at WalMart. No rebates, no hunting sales.

Yeah, much beaten subject … at that price and considering Warren is a big EHC buyer … bet any of you it's a semi … but it's good enough to make Dexos (the intent of EHC) … and normal run OCI's = no problem.
If going 10k or more … I'd do M1, PP, QSUD personally … but I also care what companies I support.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah, much beaten subject … at that price and considering Warren is a big EHC buyer … bet any of you it's a semi … but it's good enough to make Dexos (the intent of EHC) … and normal run OCI's = no problem.
If going 10k or more … I'd do M1, PP, QSUD personally … but I also care what companies I support.

If Group 3 is your definition of conventional, then maybe it's a semi.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not my definition … Do you know what EHC is ?

Know ETC basestocks can make SN+ with Group 2+ oils but there's only a few blends that can hit DexOs 1.2 and I didn't think WPP was one of them. Don't think you can call something with EHC in it a synthetic. Mobil would probably ruse to sell.

There are at least 3 big boys making Grp2 synthetic … CVX, P66, XOM … How are you going to fill Warren jugs in box stores so cheap … or get GM AC Delco/Ford MC contracts otherwise …
P66 does not even go cracking at Grp3 …
Dynamics have changed … good, bad, indifferent

Group II+ synthetic ??

I guess you mean calling it synthetic....

I believe you could be on to something 4wd...

The Cam2 SuperproMax 5w30 meets ACEA A5/B5 per their data sheet... And it has only 10-17 percent group III... The rest a group II+ I'd bet. The ACEA A5/B5 is not all too different than Dexos. They also claim it beats the piston deposit standard APO by 40%. Which would make sense if it meets ACEA A5 B5.

Not that I think SuperTech oils made by blenders other than Warren PP/NE are less good(if I said that right) but, my local W*M stores aren't carrying WPP/WNE blended oils of late. IDK who is blending them but, I am not seeing Warren's stamp on the bottom of the bottles & jugs any longer. And, the bottles/jugs don't seem to be from XOM either from what I can tell.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by 4WD
Not my definition … Do you know what EHC is ?

Know ETC basestocks can make SN+ with Group 2+ oils but there's only a few blends that can hit DexOs 1.2 and I didn't think WPP was one of them. Don't think you can call something with EHC in it a synthetic. Mobil would probably ruse to sell.

Originally Posted by 4WD
There are at least 3 big boys making Grp2 synthetic … CVX, P66, XOM … How are you going to fill Warren jugs in box stores so cheap … or get GM AC Delco/Ford MC contracts otherwise …
P66 does not even go cracking at Grp3 …
Dynamics have changed … good, bad, indifferent

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Not that I think SuperTech oils made by blenders other than Warren PP/NE are less good(if I said that right) but, my local W*M stores aren't carrying WPP/WNE blended oils of late. IDK who is blending them but, I am not seeing Warren's stamp on the bottom of the bottles & jugs any longer. And, the bottles/jugs don't seem to be from XOM either from what I can tell.

If your buying oil at Costco-Kirkland oil, that name is on their food they sell,,so hope they don't get their production lines crossed,,lol

It looks like the K brand has a good add pack. If you run a reasonable 5-7,000 mile oci it looks like it would be a good alternative.

But in reality compared to all the things we spend or blow money on every week or month, is an extra 10-15 every 3 months really that much money?

If you like and trust M1 no reason to change.

Last edited:
I know several people who have been running nothing but conventional oil since they bought their vehicles in the late 80's . Some have 250-300K miles and still going fine. Bottom line is change your oil at regular intervals and take care of your vehicle & it will last long after your on Medicare !

Originally Posted by ZZman
I am confused. When did Group II start being considered a synthetic?

Group II+ blend with Group III

I haven't read anything where a jug of oil containing only GroupII+ is labeled full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back