Changing tires. Never again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I could save some money by changing tires myself. I thought the task would be easy, considering the amount of car work I've done. I have changed 4 or so timing belts, swapped an engine, changed an axle, etc. A tire swap should be mince meat - I was wrong. I couldn't believe how much of a bullfight this was. Tire irons feel like Stone Age type tools, and to be honest, I don't have the artistic talent to use these things. I tried for 2 days to get the tire off the stupid rim. The first day I got the old tire off, the second day I got one side of the bead mounted and the other I just couldn't finish.

With a dinged up rim, I must shamefully shamble into the dealer to get my tires swapped. But never again am I going into the bullring. It is not worth the $30 savings. Do you do it yourself? Is there some magical tool that makes unmounting and mounting work? I tried lube, lots of it. Breaking the bead was easy in comparison.

I've done countless - take your time, if you are forcing it, you're doing something wrong. I use 6'' levers, they are short and stop me forcing things. The only time I've had a shop fit a tyre for me was on my trials bike....a nice soft tube tyre, with 2 rim locks. The tyre fitter wasn't too pleased with that - but they offered the free fitting ! Rim locks make a tube tyre fitting a bit harder, 2 rim locks feels impossible at first.

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
I tried for 2 days to get the tire off the stupid rim.

I'm sorry, but that's funny!
lol.gif

The key to vehicle maintenance, as well as dealing with co-workers/bosses/spouses etc., is to choose your battles wisely.
thumbsup2.gif

After observing the simple, yet effective machinery used to change tires, I realized early that it wasn't anything within my physical capability/patience level.

I was shown how then tried out a few years ago. They were 10-12" tires for scca spec racer fords and a few formula continental race cars. The latter were a pain as the tire had to be stretched over the rim they almost balloon out. This was with a small stand and levers to pry the tires off the rim.

I can do most anything on my cars. But. I don't do paint jobs on my cars. I don't do tire anything on my cars. I've had the same tire guy for over 43 years.

yep tires can be tuff, at least some of them...the shorter side walls are the worst

Man, I've done a couple with a cheap HF changer. What a PITA. Said the same thing.

Chaning tyres by hand is all about technique. Even a little old lady can change a tyre by hand if she has the right technique -

Watch a little old lady change truck tyres by hand in this video here

EDIT; The action starts at 2:30

Last edited:
What are you using for equipment? Good stuff is the key!
wink.gif

When I went to work with my dad in 1968, I started out changing tires and lube, oil & filter.
He had the old style manual tire changer w/pneumatic bead breaker. This thing was mounted into the cement and very solid.

We did mostly all steelies(w/bias-ply-tires) as there were very few aluminum, magnesium or rally wheels that came in for tires...that I can remember.

The tools used were ancient but strong steel and very effective. However there was a knack to dismounting the tire from the wheel. And there was also a knack for getting a "too narrow of a tire" to take air on a wider wheel. Once mastered, I could do it with my eyes closed and one arm behind my back...well, you know!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
However there was a knack to dismounting the tire from the wheel. And there was also a knack for getting a "too narrow of a tire" to take air on a wider wheel. Once mastered, I could do it with my eyes closed and one arm behind my back...well, you know!
laugh.gif

I took an entire day to swap all tires between 2 cars (175/65 R14C, half of them were Pirelli Commercial, the rest were Kleber Commercial), using an original Tyrepliers Bead breaker and some tyre levers. Even feeling doing it in the correct fashion, I'm not doing it again.

Some tools that I use.....and no they aren't cheap
wink.gif

I do several cycle tires a year now because my Dad puts on quite a few miles a year once riding season starts.

I have done a few for friends for family as well and some of my own but my bikes dont' get many miles so thats not very often.

biggest cycle rim my tire machine can handle is a 17 inch unless i bought adapters then I could go bigger.

64471745_10157581220464474_6028292706550153216_o.jpg

64461093_10157541929689474_3651984385114112000_o.jpg

43402100_10156936802064474_4011048796430532608_o.jpg

I somehow manage to end up doing it once or twice a year myself. It's definitely an art. Once you are shown how the drop center in the wheel works, it is much easier and once you find a good bead lube (coolant in my case). But this last year I got new wheels for the Jeep, I was going to swap the tires over myself but my shoulders are just getting too bad and it was proving to be too painful. For probably the last 7 years my strategy is to mount myself then bring to Walmart to balance.

Last edited:
Male egos can cause you to lose fingers...………..once I was a tire changer in a Goodyear store,,,I would have never thought not to use a tire changing machine, we would have been there all day....mercy me

A lot depends on if the wheel gives you a "generous" drop center. The chrome wheels on my F150 are some of the worst.

This is why it is nice to own a 1965 VW Beetle. I put new tires on mine without removing the wheels from the car. Large Harbor Freight C clamp broke the old loose from the rim. Not a safety rim, so just start it off with a tire iron. Then grab the tire and pull it off. Put some dawn detergent on the new tire and push it on the rim and add air. Piece of cake and I am over 70.

There lots of tricks on you tube for changing tires. Best I've done was the ty rap method. Getting the old tire off the rim is easy after you break the beads. trick 1) is to get the new tire warm, the hotter the better. Put it in the sun for a while or in a car in the sun, or in some sort of warm area.2) Get about 6-8 very large ty raps. 3)Space them out around the tire and pull them tight so the bead touches together. 4) Lube up the rim, but remember some soaps will corrode aluminum rims. so be ready to wash it off after the tire is mounted. 5) Slide the tire over the rim with minimum effort them cut the ty raps off. put pressure in the tire while filling with air. Having the schreader valve out, makes it faster. 6) Fill with air until you hear 2 pops, that's the bead sealing on the rim. Always know where your fingers are when working on mounting, or filling with air.,,

I've done lots of motorcycle tires*.

I've done lots of car tires when I used to use the Hobby Shop at Oceana NAS, Virginia Beach.

But that was using the tire machine - and the machine makes a HUGE difference. Tire irons on a modern rim would be a big PITA and I would gladly pay for that service. But with a mounting machine - it's really a non-issue - an easy task.

*Back in the day - spoked wheels on dirt bikes. Not a modern, big street bike. Think 1977 RM125...so, perhaps not as challenging as yours...but it sure got easier as I got the hang of tire irons.

Last edited:
I once watched my friend try to do a ride-on lawnmower tire change. Watching him 'attempt' to get the tire off the wheel with a screw driver, comical. After much cursing iirc he gave up.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I've done lots of motorcycle tires*.

I've done lots of car tires when I used to use the Hobby Shop at Oceana NAS, Virginia Beach.

But that was using the tire machine - and the machine makes a HUGE difference. Tire irons on a modern rim would be a big PITA and I would gladly pay for that service. But with a mounting machine - it's really a non-issue - an easy task.

*Back in the day - spoked wheels on dirt bikes. Not a modern, big street bike. Think 1977 RM125...so, perhaps not as challenging as yours...but it sure got easier as I got the hang of tire irons.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back