245/45ZR20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw

Got Michelin PSS after that and those tires defied laws of physics.

Michi PSS were the first tyre I suggested, but he would rather run 4 mismatched chinese ditchfinders than any Michelin.

Re my earlier posts.. Parada is a multi purpose tyre, the Yokohama Advan is the dedicated HP summer tyre. OP would do well to look at Advan aswell as the Mickey Thompson UHP radial I linked.

225/45r20 is the size, Z is not a valid speed rating though, there is another letter which is yet to be disclosed to us so accurate recommendations are effectively impossible to make.

I implore you to revisit your position on Michelin, the Pilot Sport 4S (successor to the PSS) is arguably the best option available in this category.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I implore you to revisit your position on Michelin, the Pilot Sport 4S (successor to the PSS) is arguably the best option available in this category.

What part of "NO" do you not understand?

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

All of it? It seems highly irrational to intentionally omit the best tire in the class because of some unexplained disdain towards the company that manufactures it
21.gif

All of it? It seems highly irrational to intentionally omit the best tire in the class because of some unexplained disdain towards the company that manufactures it
21.gif

I have explained it at least a dozen times: the way they treat anyone with a problem is absolutely unacceptable. They believe-with religious fervor-that they have NEVER made one single bad tire, therefore, it's your fault. Shut up and buy another set. I work with 2 people who threw away very-expensive tires (Pilots on an Audi, LTX-AT on a Ram 2500) because they were literally rotting off the rims. (One failed inspection, another was bad enough it was leaking air.) Michelin refused to lift a finger, accusing them both of using "unapproved" tire dressings.

21.gif

I have explained it at least a dozen times: the way they treat anyone with a problem is absolutely unacceptable. They believe-with religious fervor-that they have NEVER made one single bad tire, therefore, it's your fault. Shut up and buy another set. I work with 2 people who threw away very-expensive tires (Pilots on an Audi, LTX-AT on a Ram 2500) because they were literally rotting off the rims. (One failed inspection, another was bad enough it was leaking air.) Michelin refused to lift a finger, accusing them both of using "unapproved" tire dressings.

I know one of the southern US guys (Arizona, think it was Nick1994?) had a dry rot issue on a vehicle that sat a lot, but I don't recall it being an issue up our way. I've never personally experienced it and almost exclusively buy Michelin due to the great experience we've had with their tires. Do these folks by chance use tire dressing or do the vehicles sit a lot? I know CapriRacer noted at one point that the oils that are impregnated into the rubber that are supposed to work their way out to protect the surface from UV and cracking require the tire be used somewhat regularly.

I personally ran the PSS on my M5 and they were in a word: Incredible. The wet traction was absolutely mind boggling, which has been SteveSRT8's experience as well. So while I understand where you are coming from based on what you've described, I do personally feel you are depriving yourself of what may provide the best experience in terms of tire performance with your vehicle by sticking to your guns.

All that said, the Pirelli summer rubber that comes with my GC (P Zero) are pretty good "all around" in my experience, though definitely not as good as the Michelin. The Pirelli P Zero PZ4 appears to be on sale.
The Continental ExtremeContact Sport is supposed to be a good competitor to the Michelin, but costs a LOT more than the Pirelli.

I know one of the southern US guys (Arizona, think it was Nick1994?) had a dry rot issue on a vehicle that sat a lot, but I don't recall it being an issue up our way. I've never personally experienced it and almost exclusively buy Michelin due to the great experience we've had with their tires. Do these folks by chance use tire dressing or do the vehicles sit a lot? I know CapriRacer noted at one point that the oils that are impregnated into the rubber that are supposed to work their way out to protect the surface from UV and cracking require the tire be used somewhat regularly.

The Audi owner used Simple Green, the Ram owner used nothing but a garden hose. Both were driven at least 5 days a week and never sat more than 3-4 days at a time.

Combine that with the catastrophic Michelin XRV problems (they tend to split wide open...sometimes while PARKED!), I will never give a cent to Michelin under any circumstances.

The Audi owner used Simple Green, the Ram owner used nothing but a garden hose. Both were driven at least 5 days a week and never sat more than 3-4 days at a time.

Combine that with the catastrophic Michelin XRV problems (they tend to split wide open...sometimes while PARKED!), I will never give a cent to Michelin under any circumstances.

I cannot remember how many Michelins I had, and never had rotting issue.
But, get Kumho, come back and let's talk.
FACT is there is NO better tire then PS4S for what you want.
But, you can always go with 4 mismatched Chinese tires or those Kumho's, or Yokohama, and after 15k have same performance as those 4 mismatched Chinese tires.
In all seriousness, if you want top performance, and do not want best tire, stick to Bridgestone, Pirelli and Continental. In that category I would not venture to other brands.

I'm running Kumho Ecsta V720 ACR tires. They are designed for the car, and are fantastic in the dry. Wet is marginal, and they don't last long. But they are great in the dry...

They are not the same tire you're considering, but based on my experience with the specific tire I'm running, Kumho can make great tire.

[/quote]

It seems highly irrational to intentionally omit the best tire in the class because of some unexplained disdain towards the company that manufactures it
21.gif
[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. Trofeo R are a close second.

OP are you brave enough to use a cut slick on public roads? or even a full slick? They can generate sufficient lateral grip to twist your monocoque if you drive hard enough.

Mickey Thompson radials?
Nangkang NS2R
Nangkang AR1
Toyo R888R
Maxsport RB5 Tarmac
Hankook Ventus Z209
DMACK DMT-RC2 Tarmac
Yokohama A006-T
Kumho Ecsta TM02
Pirelli P7 Corsa Classic
Dunlop DZ03G Road - Track
Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport
Federal 595 RS-R

Pick one of the above - you'll find your own limits before you find the tyres limits

Originally Posted by 02SE
I'm running Kumho Ecsta V720 ACR tires. They are designed for the car, and are fantastic in the dry. Wet is marginal, and they don't last long. But they are great in the dry...

They are not the same tire you're considering, but based on my experience with the specific tire I'm running, Kumho can make great tire.

Great tires have good performance in all disciplines. If we are talking summer tires, great tire will have great performance in both dry and wet.
Based on my experience with Kumho, anything wet is not marginal, it is plain dangerous.

Great tires have good performance in all disciplines. If we are talking summer tires, great tire will have great performance in both dry and wet.

Depends on application, I guess. The V720 ACR is a track tire, so I suppose it is primarily meant for dry conditions.

As for the OP, it sounds like he's not looking for track-only tires, but he hasn't specified either what his exact intended purpose/application is.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Depends on application, I guess. The V720 ACR is a track tire, so I suppose it is primarily meant for dry conditions.

As for the OP, it sounds like he's not looking for track-only tires, but he hasn't specified either what his exact intended purpose/application is.
Yes, that is true. But I think OP is looking for street application.
Now, if he wants track tire, there are other choices out there.

Based on my experience with Kumho, anything wet is not marginal, it is plain dangerous.

Educate yourself as to what the tire I mentioned is designed for. It is a DOT legal competition tire designed for dry traction above all else. It does very well on my car which is producing approx. 400 more rear wheel HP and torque than the car did in stock form.

My point was that Kumho can build a great tire.

I also like the Michelin PSS on our M6. But it is a much less extreme car.

But, you can always go with 4 mismatched Chinese tires or those Kumho's, or Yokohama, and after 15k have same performance as those 4 mismatched Chinese tires.
In all seriousness, if you want top performance, and do not want best tire, stick to Bridgestone, Pirelli and Continental. In that category I would not venture to other brands.

Your opinion means nothing, because you have absolutely no idea what you are blathering about.

Originally Posted by Olas
[/quote]

It seems highly irrational to intentionally omit the best tire in the class because of some unexplained disdain towards the company that manufactures it
21.gif

[/quote]

So...did you not read what I posted of did you simply ignore it?

OP are you brave enough to use a cut slick on public roads? or even a full slick? They can generate sufficient lateral grip to twist your monocoque if you drive hard enough.

Mickey Thompson radials?
Nangkang NS2R
Nangkang AR1
Toyo R888R
Maxsport RB5 Tarmac
Hankook Ventus Z209
DMACK DMT-RC2 Tarmac
Yokohama A006-T
Kumho Ecsta TM02
Pirelli P7 Corsa Classic
Federal 595 RS-R

Pick one of the above - you'll find your own limits before you find the tyres limits

No, I will not run DOT track tires!

Since you're not going to be looking for the best summer DD tires (PS4S) then:

Dunlop Star Specs ZIIIs
Bridgestone RE71r (these tires get greasy fast so may not be a good idea for your car.)
Bridgestone S-04 pole position
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (based off an old Bridgestone tire)
Hankook RS-4
Falken RT615K
BFG Rival S?

The Nexen N fera Sur4G was getting decent reviews by the local track guys. A few seconds off RE-71rs but they last a whole lot longer.

Your opinion means nothing, because you have absolutely no idea what you are blathering about.

Originally Posted by Olas

21.gif

[/quote]

So...did you not read what I posted of did you simply ignore it?

Mickey Thompson radials?
Nangkang NS2R
Nangkang AR1
Toyo R888R
Maxsport RB5 Tarmac
Hankook Ventus Z209
DMACK DMT-RC2 Tarmac
Yokohama A006-T
Kumho Ecsta TM02
Pirelli P7 Corsa Classic
Federal 595 RS-R

No, I will not run DOT track tires![/quote]

It might help if you outline ALL of your criteria before asking for recommendations - you say you want a UHP summer tyre so we tell you about the class leader but you dont want it. We list alternatives like the Pirelli Trofeo R and you ignore it.
We give you lists of UHP summer tyres for dry use and you say you dont want track tyres.

So, outline ALL of your criteria and we can make more suggestions.

Also, explain what objections you have to the Mickey Thompson UHP summertime tyre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back