Planning on buying a new fleet of cars this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

We were planning on replacing our cars with new (to us) cars this year. I planned on an economic situation that would have been more conducive for deals, but ina an unprecedented environment I expect some deals but also possibly used car prices to go up or stall a bit if new car manufacturing stops.

That being said, we are looking at 3 or 4 cars, with an overall budget of 50-60,000.

1) Full size SUV. My wife wants a full size SUV with 4wd/awd. I've looked at G and Ford. Anything else? This will be her primary vehicle and needs to carry 6 or more people regularly. Budget cap is 25-30, though I've seen some candidates under 20k. We live in Colorado so being able on handle snow.

2) Sedan for regular commute. My primary car. Want mid size or larger. Should be good for light weather. I've looked at a gamut of options, Lexus ES350, LS460, BMW 528xi/535xi, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord. I like my Acura ILX but would like something with a larger interior.

3) Mid size Awd winter car. This would be shared between me and my wife. I would drive when the weather is bad.

4) Awd/4wd for teenage son. Junior is about ready to buy his own car. He has saved about 3500 and he doesn't know it but we are going to match his funds. Good first car recommendation for snowy weather.

Thanks for your consideration and stay safe out there.

#3, take a long look at a 2013 + Infiniti G37 (or M variant), or a Lexus GS350.

If you found an earlier Infiniti, which documented an oil gallery gasket replacement, go for it.

Last edited:
1. 2013 Tahoe, 2018 Ford Flex, 2015-2018 Highlander, 2014-2015 Lexus GX. Also look at 2018/2019 AWD Sienna.
2. All listed options good, add 2016-2018 Subaru Legacy.
3. See above. Just get an AWD car for all seasons.
4. 2016 Subaru Impreza. You will probably have to pay a bit more, there are not many low cost AWD reliable and safe cars.

Subarus can be sluggish, perfect for #4 but look for the 6 cyl models for #2/#3

A low millage Honda Pilot like a 2016 with about 20K miles on it. Honda makes very reliable vehicles but the Pilot does have a timing belt and the maintenance reminder will tell you to replace it depending on the combination of age and miles. Expect the timing belt to require replacement somewhere form 60K miles to 100K miles. And the cost to have it done is $730 to $855 + tax.

It is an interference engine, which means that if you do not replace the timing belt when the maintenance reminder tells you to, and it breaks, the pistons will hit the valves that are open and destroy the valves. This is very expensive to repair and usually there is so much damage that it is cheaper to get a whole new engine.

I would suspect few modern engines are not interference with increase out put and greater economy. Not sure that's a reason to remove them from the running.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Anything to look for in Tahoe vs Expedition or Suburban vs Expedition EL for this price range? Likely the 2007-2013 for GM (newer gen 2015 seems to just sneak into the price) and the same price range for Fords? Mrs. Dohnuts Ben set on looking at these two options primarily. I should mention we would be putting winter tires on these cars from October to March.

Is the ownership experience on the F10 BMWs that much more than a Lexus? My research seems to indicate that it is. The reliability of the Lexus is nearly legendary with a few exceptions. Large comfy back seats are important for he passengers.

For a winter car I was looking at Subaru and second generation Acura MDX.

For Juniors car, he is partial to larger cars. He is 6'2" (taller than me) and a big kid. His girlfriend has a first gen Toyota Sequoia and he thinks that is too big. He seems to like the first gen Honda Pilots but I would prefer a Subaru as well.

I'd look for a 2010+ GM. Some of the earlier years of that generation had major issues with the AFM/DOD.

Originally Posted by NO2
1. 2013 Tahoe, 2018 Ford Flex, 2015-2018 Highlander, 2014-2015 Lexus GX. Also look at 2018/2019 AWD Sienna.
2. All listed options good, add 2016-2018 Subaru Legacy.
3. See above. Just get an AWD car for all seasons.
4. 2016 Subaru Impreza. You will probably have to pay a bit more, there are not many low cost AWD reliable and safe cars.

Subarus can be sluggish, perfect for #4 but look for the 6 cyl models for #2/#3

We have owned Tahoe/Yukon SUV's for years … but you'd want to look at one with a two speed transfer case and that tends to come with the best trailer package … lots of extra cooling. That box will have 2Hi, Auto 2/4, 4Hi, and 4Lo
They will have a G80 locker … both rears pull solid.

You can get really good deals on AWD Cadillacs - they CTS and XTS were available in AWD. The XTS probably meets your midsize/large AWD luxury car needs.

Any GM big SUV will take care of your needs.

An Impala (2015+) is a really nice car for your regular commute car. Very good prices on them too in the used market. Also look at the Camrys, Accords and all but I think you will find the Impala very competitive.

With 2nd gen MDX(2007-2013) skip the 2010-2013. They for whatever reason consume oil and tend to be less reliable.

Why number 3 car or you have enough drivers for 4 total on road none sitting?

Your son skip the clutch of AWD so they can quickly learn and know slippery and how to properly keep speed. $7500 mid size sedan is likely better choice.

Wife- GMC Denali

You- Ford Fusion

Winter Car- Subaru Forester

Son- Subaru Forester

Buy the Foresters from a desert climate.

I waited till I was 55 to get mine!!!
[Linked Image]

The F10 5er is a Bavarian Park Avenue- and I don't mean that as a compliment.

If you're committed to buying 4 cars as you described....

1) 2016/17 Toyota Sienna AWD.

2) Off lease Accord or Camry. Look for the upgraded motors in each for a better driving experience. Are snow tires an option?

3) 3 -4 year old - Audi Q5/Acura RDX/etc

4) $7000 doesn't get you much for an AWD vehicle. Maybe a 1st gen Highlander along with the Pilot. They were smaller but you still see a bunch on the road. He will have trouble fitting comfortably in an older Subaru. BTW Check with your insurance agent on rates.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back