Which Type of Eye Glasses You Wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first pair of glasses were progressives 16 years ago. I had been using Costco for the first 10 years and am now having better luck getting them at Walmart. They cost a little more but the eye Dr there gets my RX a lot better. They also have a better choice on frames.

*I wear progressives - the biggest issue is making sure you get measured properly for where your eyes will look through the lenses : Too high or low will drive you crazy tilting your head up or down to see properly ! I have had to request the fitter send back lenses before that were not measuresd / cut properly ...
Originally Posted by Gebo
Do you have bifocals or progressive lens in your glasses? I had to get glasses and they talked me into getting the progressive lens and told me it would take a few days to get used to them. I tried them a week and went back and got the bifocals on Monday.

I talked to the furnace repair man yesterday and he said it took him 2 months to get used to the progressive lens.

I am wondering if I didn't give the progressive lens enough time?

Progressives for me. I've had them for over 20 years, and if there was an adjustment period it must have been incredibly short....I don't remember one at all. I'm at +2.25 diopter.
So a few people have touched on very good points. With progressives lenses, you get that intermediate focus for things like your DASHBOARD or computer screen. Sure, you may have to move your head around a bit to find the right spots, but eventually it comes natural.
You CAN'T do that with regular bifocals. Your vision is either right or wrong, there's a cutoff line, it's either on or off, no in-between.
If you start out with regular bifocals (with the line) it will make it MUCH more difficult to adjust to progressives. Don't make that mistake.

It is important to get good lenses, and not to go too small as others have pointed out. Mine are Varilux, with the Crizal coating system. This minimizes rearward reflections and helps with light transmission.

I also prefer the Men's metal frames with a rimless bottom edge. These typically allow for a bigger bifocal area and seem to work much better that a lower frame.

I regret that the Japanese company (Marchon, I think) quit making the FLEXON frame. This was flexible titanium/nickle alloy. A metal frame that you could twist into a knot without breaking! Incredible! I've had two pair that I now use for sunglass frames that are 40 YEARS OLD! No tarnish, nothing! No wonder they sold the name, but the new versions are not the same quality.

I have high index (1.74) progressives with the reading area moved to the very bottom... a big improvement over the thicker 1.67 progressives I had prior to these. I use a large (40") 4K monitor that I use that is around 3 ft away at my desk...not really reading distance. I also have set of single vision wrap around sports frames which are great for outdoor and racquet activities. They provide a lot better depth perception and are polycarbonate for impact protection.

I've never had regular bifocals. When I had to add close vision I just went ahead and got progressives, so I don't know how long it takes to switch. I recall it took me a little while to get used to my new glasses, so maybe you didn't give them enough time.

I have my first pair of bifocals on order. A discussion with the optician helped me decide that they are right for my work and vision. I've worn single vision for 18 years for nearsightedness but now my very near vision is getting worse.

!5 yrs of bifocals. Never great. Went back to single lenses for distance. If I want to read I take 'em off
grin2.gif

I have the ubiquitous aged related presbyopia, but 20-20 distance vision. I'm still with the weakest drugstore 15 buck readers.

If need to do precision close work i have some strong readers for focusing at 6 "

I'm not going to the optometrist for a normal vision change and $200 glasses that are barely better than the 15 dollar stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Tri focals .

Hmmm. I didn't know that was an option.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Took me three days to adapt to the progressive lens . It was a great improvement for me. The thing I really noticed it improve my shooting iron sights tremendously. YMMV.

Try one of these, should help even more
thumbsup2.gif

[Linked Image from cdnp.leupold.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back