You ever eat any moldy food after removing the mold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is mold on there - there are spores all over the whole bread. Not that you will die....but you will eat mold.

The visible fluffy stuff on top is the final stage of mold growth. Most of the fungus is beneath the surface and has been growing for days beforehand.

Is it going to hurt you to eat it? Probably not.

I did this not that long ago. Pulled off the moldy spots on the crust of a slice of bread that I toasted. Ended in an acute "digestive episode" a few hours later. Ugh! Not again.

Nope
37.gif

Oh heck yes, all the time.
I can imagine people throw away bread with a little mold on it that they were going to eat with their blue cheese... ;^)

Some cheese is moldy fresh from the package, mmm blue cheese. Same if the mold or fermentation is controlled and on purpose.

I guess it depends on what is moldy

Cheese, slice it off, bread, don't eat the moldy slices, fruit, veggies if they are big enough slice it off.
Anything else?

Nope, certain foods shouldn't be touched for "other reasons " if they have mold, meat would be very very bad, prepared foods likewise.

Last edited:
Penicillin ( made from mold) is a powerful antibiotic that is effective against bacteria. The drug comes from the Penicillium mold, most commonly the species P. chrysogenum. ... Modern purification and mass production of penicillin are fairly complicated, but it's easy to grow Penicillium mold and make penicillin at home

I believe aged beef has to have the surface layer of mold trimmed off before it can be processed. I guess it is allowed to grow as it imparts flavor, and perhaps repels nastier organisms.

Originally Posted by atikovi
And I don't mean cheese. Like a ciabatta roll I ate with dinner which had two small bits of mold I tore off first.

No, I don't because I know that many molds contain mycotoxins that can not only make you mildly sick but that in some cases can cause sever allergies, and can be carcinogenic or mutagenic. Besides, by the time food goes moldy the bacterial load tends to run high and that's another problem. As someone else mentioned, the blue or green stuff is only the visible part of the mold. The actual mold growth extends far beyond that so removing just the obviously moldy part won't do.

As said, blue cheese is delicious. In fact, all cheese is rotted milk.

Your far-northern countrymen in Alaska like their stinkheads (mashed, rotted salmon heads)

Hakarl is a delicacy in Iceland, shark is buried for a few months and left to rot underground before they dig it up and eat it.

Pickles are rotted cucumbers in brine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back