Which Type of Eye Glasses You Wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have bifocals or progressive lens in your glasses? I had to get glasses and they talked me into getting the progressive lens and told me it would take a few days to get used to them. I tried them a week and went back and got the bifocals on Monday.

I talked to the furnace repair man yesterday and he said it took him 2 months to get used to the progressive lens.

I am wondering if I didn't give the progressive lens enough time?

Last visit the eye doc thought I should give in and try, going to need some day. I went online and got a cheap set. I got cheap results, but it showed to me that I don't like them. Maybe if I gave them more time, but I found that I just didn't like them. I'm used to a wide field of vision and they deny that. I did eventually get some cheap bifocals but even those go unused--I like them better, but TBH I just don't need them. I suspect in the future I will just have multiple pairs of glasses, one for distance and one for reading, if necessary.

I get the impression that, for progressives, you really don't want to go cheap on them.

I like the idea behind them, but right now they don't agree with me.

Took me three days to adapt to the progressive lens . It was a great improvement for me. The thing I really noticed it improve my shooting iron sights tremendously. YMMV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Took me three days to adapt to the progressive lens . It was a great improvement for me. The thing I really noticed it improve my shooting iron sights tremendously. YMMV.

That's what the Doc told me. But I am confused after what the furnace guy told me yesterday.

Yes, it takes time. I just got one and gave me a headache on the very first day. I lost the sense of depth while using them but I am not even mid-40s so do not want to use bifocals just yet. I am going to get reading glasses separately.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Yes, it takes time. I just got one and gave me a headache on the very first day. I lost the sense of depth while using them but I am not even mid-40s so do not want to use bifocals just yet. I am going to get reading glasses separately.

You make a valid point. The doc said I had 3 choices as I had never had glasses before.

1. Progressive

2. Bifocals

3. Separate Regular and Reading Glasses

I'm noticing with the bifocals it is very important how high the reading portion comes up from the bottom. Very very very important. So far, I am much happier with the bifocals. I don't have to love my head up and down as much and I don't have to look straight on to get things in focus.

I have progressive lenses and have had them for the last 20 years. Took me about 1 hour to get used to them. In my opinion, the most important aspect is the size of the frame that the lenses go into 2nd only to the optician taking the proper measurements (and being accurate) along with the proper lens base curve. Many opticians try to force the smaller frame sizes (hence smaller lens size) on people, and this limits the amount of progression for the add portion. The larger the lens, the more real estate to use the progressive feature of the progressive lens and the easier to get used to. I wear an aviator type frame because it gives me lots of lens and hence, lots of progressive add power.

I think the greater the distance between the optical center and the bottom of the add portion of the lens, the easier it is on the eyes. As a crude analogy, it's sort of like trying to go from 1 to 100 MPH - if you do it in under 6 seconds, you miss a lot, but it you do it in 20 seconds, you get to see a lot more along the way.

My wife tried progressive lenses in a small frame and could not adjust to them. When she went to a larger frame, she had no problems adjusting.

I have had progressive lenses for close to 20 years, and like the fact that after the initial adjustment period ( a month or so for me) they are seamless in everyday use. At one point, I tried to go back to straight lenses and use reading glasses when needed. The biggest problem I had with that was I could not see the instrument panel on my cars, and the digital dash on my motorcycle was nothing but a blur. I have had Nikon lenses, currently they are Zeiss, both have been very clear, don't know it I could use bi or trifocals.

I'm on my 3rd pair of progressives in the last 6-7 years. This most recent Rx had to be redone with new Rx because the Eye Doctor made a newbie mistake and tried to over-correct my vision, Costco accepted to do the lenses over for no extra charge.

In general, I adapted quickly to each new Rx.

Been wearing progressives for the past 4 years. Prior to that it was bifocals.

I don't work at a desk. It seemed like every time I went to reach for something it was either too far away or too close for me to focus on - meaning frequent sore necks.

Progressives solved that.

Yes, it takes time to get used to them.

progressives -

Took about 3 weeks to fully get used to them. Pretty happy now.

UD

I had a really nonlinear response to progressives. They felt terrible for about 10 days or so, mostly the lack of peripheral vision; then in the space of about 2 days, they felt great. I'm happy with them now.

I have progressive bifocals and the time it take to adjust to them depends on the difference in strength between the close and far distance focus. The thing I don't like about progressives is that the amount of of distance that the transition takes. I estimate that I loose 20% of the eye glass lens when going from the close to the distance portion of the lens. I the future I will certainly carefully check out the lined bifocal. The progressive is mostly for the ego minded who don't want to be classified as old people.JMO Ed

Tried something called workspace progressive from Lenscrafters not too long ago. I mainly use them for looking at a computer monitor. After a week, I still hated them. My problem was that the area in focus was rather small - only the center. If I shifted my eyeballs just a little to the left or to the right or up or down, the text on the monitor would become blurry, so basically only the center of the monitor was sharp. I returned them and went back to my old single lens glasses which don't have that problem.

I will be 46 this year. I just got a set of x1.25 reading glasses.

Funny story. A buddy of mine who I was in the Navy, also my age, now works with me, we were on a Submarine trying to
troubleshoot a fault with a print. Neither of us could read the print. We had to go find a 22 year old sailor who could read it to us.
We both went and got readers, but not before we took a verbal beating from this kid. It was pretty funny.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Tried something called workspace progressive from Lenscrafters not too long ago. I mainly use them for looking at a computer monitor. After a week, I still hated them. My problem was that the area in focus was rather small - only the center. If I shifted my eyeballs just a little to the left or to the right or up or down, the text on the monitor would become blurry, so basically only the center of the monitor was sharp. I returned them and went back to my old single lens glasses which don't have that problem.

That is what I experienced.

Single vision for now, maybe bifocal in 20 years.

I like mine as light as possible, high index lens plus lightest frame at affordable price. I keep my frame for 5-10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back