Here it goes again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by sloinker
Navistar knew how to build an engine back in the day.

Yep, when they were known as International Harvester.

I wonder how much they paid some genius to rename the company. Hahaaa..
The priorities these insane companies have.

Dan they keep low balling the rest of the field.
Thank god I have a supervisor that has the berries to 86 this brand completely. They are slowly going away And I just hope it's another motor because I think they will ditch this thing if it is.

Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by P10crew

Build date?

Did it die during a regen by chance? I am going to guess HPFP/fuel system failure but definitely curious to what failed. Those cab and chassis turbos are much more reliable than the pickup ones FWIW

I don't know I'm home now and it's at the dealership. Honestly I hope I only see this one last time. The day we go get our tools out of it.
I fully understand the cab and chassis difference. We buy all of them that way to get the biggest of everything. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm saying here.
We had been off hiway all day and he was giving her [censored] to get up to interstate speed on an on ramp. He said he was looking at the boost gauge when it let go. I find myself looking at the boost gauge a lot too. Gutless until max boost is reached.

Last edited:

Build date?

Did it die during a regen by chance? I am going to guess HPFP/fuel system failure but definitely curious to what failed. Those cab and chassis turbos are much more reliable than the pickup ones FWIW

I don't know I'm home now and it's at the dealership. Honestly I hope I only see this one last time. The day we go get our tools out of it.
I fully understand the cab and chassis difference. We buy all of them that way to get the biggest of everything. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm say here.

I understand your frustration. Good luck and please Post back when you find out what happened!

Build date?

I fully understand the cab and chassis difference. We buy all of them that way to get the biggest of everything. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm saying here.
We had been off hiway all day and he was giving her [censored] to get up to interstate speed on an on ramp. He said he was looking at the boost gauge when it let go. I find myself looking at the boost gauge a lot too. Gutless until max boost is reached.

What is the approximate GTW that you work the truck?

The heaviest trailer that we have loaded weighs 11,000
The safety folks watch the weight stuff to a T.

Injection pump could have locked up and stop the engine from turning over. I have seen that first hand. These engines are usually good for 20,000-25,000 hours. Before needing over hauls. The one I thought locked up still wouldn't turn over with all the glow plugs out. Got down to the CP3 and it was LOADED with metal. Would not move. Could spin the engine over with my hands after removing the pump.

Only wild card, what is the build date? Early 11s had exhaust valve issues where the ends would break off during regen and usually destroy the affected cylinder(s). There was a manufacturing issue with the valves themselves that caused it.

You're more familiar with the 'Scorpion' than I am, but I was pretty sure they used the CP4.2.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Injection pump could have locked up and stop the engine from turning over. I have seen that first hand. These engines are usually good for 20,000-25,000 hours. Before needing over hauls. The one I thought locked up still wouldn't turn over with all the glow plugs out. Got down to the CP3 and it was LOADED with metal. Would not move. Could spin the engine over with my hands after removing the pump.

Only wild card, what is the build date? Early 11s had exhaust valve issues where the ends would break off during regen and usually destroy the affected cylinder(s). There was a manufacturing issue with the valves themselves that caused it.

You're more familiar with the 'Scorpion' than I am, but I was pretty sure they used the CP4.2.

They do thanks for catching the typo!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by vw7674
Is there a way to retrofit 7.3 PS into later chassis to put an end to the issue?
Or is it an emissions nono?

Nope, emissions regulations won't allow that.

It's looking more & more like big gas is the way to go in the F-450/-550s, the diesel ones just can't seem to take it. And gasoline is only 2/3rds the price of diesel (& falling) these days anyway. Agree with the posters above, let us know what happened to it, and I share your Ford dealership frustration!

I was just going to say something like that. Do you need a diesel? What is the combined weight of loaded truck and trailer. I mean a gasser can have problems too, but a cost perspective it will be cheaper to fix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
It's looking more & more like big gas is the way to go in the F-450/-550s, the diesel ones just can't seem to take it. And gasoline is only 2/3rds the price of diesel (& falling) these days anyway. Agree with the posters above, let us know what happened to it, and I share your Ford dealership frustration!

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I was just going to say something like that. Do you need a diesel? What is the combined weight of loaded truck and trailer. I mean a gasser can have problems too, but a cost perspective it will be cheaper to fix.

No we don't need diesels. In fact back in the day we were just fine with the big blocks.
Here's the deal though. My crew now has 2 soon to be 3 I hope diesels of fords competitor that are at about the 25-28,000 mile mark with absolutely no problems what so ever and the hands that drive them give them rave reviews. As stated prior we don't baby them and they get worked hard. Oh btw we did have to relocate the urea tanks on the 2 new ones because they got smashed right away. Other than that we will see.
Latest update on the trouble child is that the service manager called to say they MAY have time to get it in the shop next week but more than likely the following for the diagnosis.
In the mean time another crew offered us one of their new trucks for a couple weeks. 👊

Stories like these exemplify why many of us, in fleet use and when applications allow for it, go gas instead of diesel.

Current employer has over 200 F250, 350, 450, and 550s. No diesels in the bunch anymore. The 550s can still tow over 16k with gas power, and it's more than we need.

In the oil patch around here there are many service trucks running around in 3/4-1 ton variations. Most are flat beds, 4x4's in white. About 80% are Rams with GM and Ford sharing the rest of the market. Not sure if this is due to cost/reliability/peer pressure. I agree with other folks, unless you need that huge diesel torque it makes no sense to not get a gasoline engine nowadays.

They left me a message this morning saying turbo,injector pump and exhaust manifold needs to be replaced . No other info

Sounds like fuel system failure along with turbo failure possibly? They are probably changing out the passenger manifold because the bolts for the egr inlet pipe broke off in the manifold. That will be a hefty bill. If the pump failed like they usually do you'll need entire high side sysyem or their "contamination " kit. They'd be crazy and foolish to replace the pump in this type of failure.

Last edited:
No it can all be done with it on. Though , with it off, it would make everything easy...I guess it depends on the tech. Cab removal is quick on a 6.7....1-1.5 hrs as long as there isn't excessive wiring to separate between cab and chassis, or cab to utility bed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back