Anyone using a filter with a combo valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our fusion had a supertech combo valve on it when I bought it, the filter is on the bottom of the engine facing up so the filter should always be full of oil I know people here don't like combo valves.

Last edited:
I ran the Napa Silvers with combo valves on my Jeep Cherokee 4.0L which had a horizontally mounted filter with no startup issues. In fact it was quieter than many other filters I tried on that engine.

I have used combos for many years without a problem, mostly NAPA Silvers and STech.Recently changed one out right after an oil change because the filter wouldn't hold oil overnight. It was a white STech. I changed it out with an orange can ( PH8A ) I had and I had no further problems. I still wouldn't hesitate using another because I had a good track record with them.

Last edited:
I have a ST2 (Champ made with combo valve) in my brother-in-laws F150 right now (mounts threaded end up).
I have used both the Champ made and Wix made styles in the past without known issues.

That said, I don't personally care for them.
No evidence to back it up, but won't use one on my vehicles (but use it on my brother in laws because his engine is dying anyway, and using a combo valve filter will not change it).

Originally Posted by Corollaman
Our fusion had a supertech combo valve on it when I bought it, the filter is on the bottom of the engine facing up so the filter should always be full of oil I know people here don't like combo valves.

Filters with the base facing up can still let oil leak out of the galleries located above the filter if the ADBV leaks. If a bypass valve is leaky it's also possible for the oil above the filter to leak down.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Corollaman

Filters with the base facing up can still let oil leak out of the galleries located above the filter if the ADBV leaks. If a bypass valve is leaky it's also possible for the oil above the filter to leak down.

Plus 1.
I have used WIX, NAPA GOLD, M1, BOSCH, and MC on my 4.2 V6 engine, and every one of them has caused some kind of startup noise.
A tire store was having a Thanksgiving sale on conv. OCI's. They were charging $9.95 plus $3 disposal fee. It was VWB and a PRO SELECT oil filter. Upon startup my engine sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back