Subaru 15208AA15A Alternatives

I am looking for an good alternative filter for the OEM Subaru 15208AA15A oil filter for a 2016 2.5L FB engine. RockAuto lists many but I know from old threads here that many don't have the correct bypass valve.

Are the Carquest filters in Canada still Wix clones? I could use a 84055 which is listed as the equivalent to a Wix 57055. The Wix supposedly has the correct bypass.

Any other alternatives readily available in Canada? O don't want to keep paying for the overpriced OEM filters at a dealership that has treated me poorly for warranty work.

There are 5 FB engines in my family and the only filters that any of them have seen with the proper bypass was the factory filter. Don't worry about the bypass valve.

Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Crown Vic........Oh Sorry, I misread the title.

27.gif

I use the Wix 57055 on my wife's 2013 outback, no issues so far.
The Purolator PL14615 may be an option for you, it has the correct bypass spec.

Premium Guard PG4615 is all you need. Has the Subaru 23 psi specification and these hold up great.

Another week another Subaru oil filter bypass thread, I wish BITOG had a search function...

If the bypass is important to you use a Wix/Napa Gold filter

If the bypass is not important to you use a Fram filter

What is the issue with the Subaru OEM oil filter that is compelling you to seek an alternative? The price for one is roughly equivalent to a Wix/Napa Gold so if you are looking to quite literally save a very small amount of money you probably will not accomplish anything with an alternate filter that meets the bypass spec and you might even end up paying more.

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

The OES filter has lower efficiency, but higher PRV setting and Subie-spec quality.

FRAM XG has best-in-class efficiency & 20k mile OCI, but lower PRV setting.

Make a choice.

There's nothing wrong with the OEM filter and they can be bought for under five dollars at the dealership.

Thank you for the links. Can anyone confirm that the Car Quest Premium 84055 oil filter is a Wix clone? I know Car Quest filters used to be Wix clones, I am just not sure if that has changed in recent times (I haven't stayed current). I deal with Car Quest often, and most of my other filters I buy are Carquest Premiums, which I why I'd like to maybe switch to one on this Subaru. But I really don't care what filter I run, just something that is easy to find, reasonably priced and meets OEM specs.

Thank you to those who offered helpful advice. For the record, I did search and read old threads, but I don't have endless time to read every single one. None of the threads I found mentioned the Car Quest filters, or many other alternatives other than Wix or Napa, and Fram. I was just looking for other options because as I stated in my first post the dealership overcharges (about $13 for the filter), the location is inconvenient and quite honestly I don't like the local dealer so I'd rather not give them my money. This will be my last Subaru, but don't plan on selling it for a while so I'd like to make it last.

If there is a cheap Canadian online source for the OEM filters, I'd consider sticking with them, but most are overpriced or the shipping costs make them as expensive or more than the dealership. Otherwise, I just want a decent quality filter that will work properly for this engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oldswagon
If there is a cheap Canadian online source for the OEM filters, I'd consider sticking with them, but most are overpriced or the shipping costs make them as expensive or more than the dealership. Otherwise, I just want a decent quality filter that will work properly for this engine.

Folks think nothing about spending 20, 30, 40 $$$ a week for gas but look at saving a couple bucks on a filter.

Originally Posted by Al

Folks think nothing about spending 20, 30, 40 $$$ a week for gas but look at saving a couple bucks on a filter.

You know what they say about people who make assumptions. You are way off base. I don't know why so many people on this board feel the need to offer their unsolicited opinion on irrelevant matters that are none of their concern.

Back on topic, if anyone can advise on whether the Car Quest 84055 is the same as a Wix 57055, this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al

Gasoline is a necessity, bud. By your logic, we should be purchasing boutique oils and the most expensive oil filters and changing them out at the severe service interval, regardless of our individual needs and circumstances, all because we spend needlessly on some unrelated item (eg, Dunkin instead of home brew, Founders instead of Natural Ice, a $30k car instead of a $5k car, etc).

Personally, I try to save money where I can, on things I care little about (eg, cheap coffee, cheap clothing and shoes, etc) so that I have more money for things I do care about (better beer, gadgets, etc.). On the flip side there are other low hanging fruit for saving money. For instance, I run my oil filters for two intervals, because that's what the FU is designed for. Others run the cheapest filter they can find, likely because they don't feel that a better filter will appreciably increase engine life.

Originally Posted by Al

You know what they say about people who make assumptions. You are way off base. I don't know why so many people on this board feel the need to offer their unsolicited opinion on irrelevant matters that are none of their concern.

Back on topic, if anyone can advise on whether the Car Quest 84055 is the same as a Wix 57055, this would be appreciated.

According to a post in the thread I will link below the Carquest 84055 apparently is a clone of the Wix 57055 or at leadt that is how I perceive the poster's comment:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3425906/2/2014_Subaru_-_Need_to_use_Suba

Thank you. I had seen that thread too earlier when in did some searches but its not really clear if it is the same as a Wix. I may try one out anyway.

Thank you. I had seen that thread too earlier when in did some searches but its not really clear if it is the same as a Wix. I may try one out anyway.

I am sure it will get the job done for a 6000 mile interval. The likelihood of a bypass even occurring on a non-turbo Subaru engine is very low and should one occur it would be for mere moments. Unless you get a poor quality filter, which I know that Wix is not, the pump should not having any problem forcing oil through the filter without needing to go into bypass.

The guy wants a WIX filter, not to be touted some other brand of filter or to get a lecture from the hall monitor.

Yes the CarQuest Blue line filters are made by WIX but there is not guarantee that will always remain true. They are today though. The NAPA Gold oil filter is also made by WIX. NAPA Canada says it has 600 locations in your country. NAPA Gold part number is 7055.

Back