PF64 cut open

Cut open a AC Delco pf64 filter that was on my 2019 Spark with around 7000+ miles on it. I thought the pleats looked looked really good so I took some pictures I should've gotten one of the anti drain back valve but it was in good shape and flexible. I've really started to like AC Delco filters as they're cheap, pretty well made even with the e-core and have a regular bypass valve
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I stocked up on the classic PF64 Delco filters before they went to the e-core design. I have about 60 of them now. I have 2 GM vehicles that take the PF64 filter (CTS-V and Z06) and wanted to make sure that these V8 engines have the stronger internal metal tube instead of the plastic cage design.

It looks good to me. But I do wonder about that plastic core. Compared to a metal core with small holes there's not much to prevent media from getting sucked through if it were to tear or get loose.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Still a lot of dislike from many on the e-core, but I have no issue with them at all.
I think it is a better option than louvers.

Used oil does look real black. Maybe in use too long. Amen to the dislike on louvers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by blupupher

Still a lot of dislike from many on the e-core, but I have no issue with them at all.
I think it is a better option than louvers.

Used oil does look real black. Maybe in use too long. Amen to the dislike on louvers.

The oil doesn't look that dark on the metal end caps.

The oil life monitor was at about 25% and I'm using Rotella Gas Truck. The oil did seem dark, but it could be the lighting plus the depth of the oil puddle on the bench. I guess it's keeping particles in suspension which is good. I've never done a UOA on this vehicle, but that might be interesting now that it has 20,000 miles or so.

I don't like louvers either.

Nope I'm wrong, 2019 manual seems to call for PF64. My 2020 manual called for UPF64R. I think there's a TSB out there somewhere calling for use of UPF64R in smaller GM engines though. Relates to cold start oil pressure and filters going into bypass.

…... Im still curious why this E core filter has metal end caps while the other E cores have the paper ones.
It appears GM ACDelco has gone from the ecore with fiber/felt endcaps and poppet bypass to this latest hybrid design. Nylon centertube and metal endcaps with poppet bypass. GM has eschewed the use of combo valves in their ecore ACDelco filters for GM with filter integral bypass.

The current new-ish Champ made SuperTech 9688 uses the same element design.

Looks ok to me a 7k miles.

Thanks for c&p.

Looks pretty good to me. Nice pleating. Clean. I was never a fan of the legacy e-core design with the poly-fabric ends. I bet GM forced their hand though; got sick of fighting the hate-speech online and on U-toob.

I think the corrug. steel columns with the round holes are my favorite. Louvers are a flow choke. Plastic is plastic, but prob cleaner/rounder/consistent than metal from a mfg point of view?

Champ seems to have picked up that version of the PRV from their short time serving as a conjoined twin with FRAM. I believe FRAM had a patent on that PRV for many years (expired). FRAM & Champ prob buy their PRVs from same place. FRAMer in southern Ohio; Champy down in southern IL; designs look spittin' image identical. I'd guess from somewhere in the Dayton-Evansville-Indy manufacturing triangle.

If Champ offered this "hybrid" design in other stuff, I'd definitely be more interested in their stuff.

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
I think the corrug. steel columns with the round holes are my favorite. Louvers are a flow choke. Plastic is plastic, but prob cleaner/rounder/consistent than metal from a mfg point of view?

Louvers give more flow area (meaning less delta-p) IF they are formed well. If they are barely opened up due to bad manufacturing then it could cause flow resistance, which means more delta-p across the filter can cause the bypass valve to open when it shouldn't.

This forum has seen very few eCore center tube issues over the last many years. I think the designers & manufacturers took a while in the early days to figure it all out and got it tweaked pretty well these days. Reducing the eCore tube openings and tightening up the pleat spacing was the key to prevent eCore type failures seen in the early days when they hit the market.

AC Delco going with metal end caps is a nice upgrade IMO. Filter looks well constructed IMO. Thanks for the C&P.

AC Delco going with metal end caps is really not a nice upgrade, because they had no business downgrading the filter to fiber around 10 years ago.

Would you consider silicone ADBVs a nice upgrade too, if those came back? Most AC Delcos used to have silicone ADBVs and not nitrile around ten years ago.

AC Delco lost good customers like member Malo above and myself when they downgraded around 10 years ago. Malo's not going back to AC Delco and neither am I.

AC Delco going with metal end caps is really not a nice upgrade, because they had no business downgrading the filter to fiber around 10 years ago.

It is compared to their prior fiber/paper material end caps. Can't say it's not an upgrade because they down graded it 10 years ago. Not saying the previous non-metal end caps didn't work ... just saying going to metal seems like an upgrade to me.

Would you consider silicone ADBVs a nice upgrade too, if those came back? Most AC Delcos used to have silicone ADBVs and not nitrile around ten years ago.

Yes I would if it was plain nitrile before ... just like Fram upgrading the EG from nitrile to silicone. Guess my and your definition of "upgrade" is different, lol.

A better option over the PF64 is the Fram Ultra XG12060 which has the new updated pressure specs. I have a few of those as well. A much better filter than anything Delco makes.

GM has used plastic e-core filters for years. I agree that they're better than the louvered designs. Ford has switched to cartridge filters (which use plastic e-cores) on their newer engines which all use plastic e-cores.

Back