Kirkland's Signature vs Super Tech...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZZman
I agree many people are visual/audio learners. They like to watch a video not read an article. They want things demonstrated and explained in a visual/audio manner.

I am glad there are people who take the time to make these videos and share them to teach people things.

Kind of sad really if people are ignorant or willfully ignore the real-world and proven indicators of oil quality such as standards, approvals and certifications, and instead put technical faith in such a source as this.

Not really disagreeing with you, it's just that it's akin to someone who would consider a YouTube video as their source of information about a heart drug as opposed to clinical trial results.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
It's quite obvious that they are not the same formulation,.

Most values however are within statistical norms, so they could be the same.

Warren formulates numerous blends for numerous customers' House Labeled oils. A teeny modification of formulas here and there helps to determine which formula is designed for which customer.

The type of base oil mix and additive package determines final per-quart cost.

According to this, Kirklands Oils are higher in price than Mobil 1:

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-5w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart%2C-2-pack.product.100527865.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
It's quite obvious that they are not the same formulation,.

Most values however are within statistical norms, so they could be the same.

Warren formulates numerous blends for numerous customers' House Labeled oils. A teeny modification of formulas here and there helps to determine which formula is designed for which customer.

According to this, Kirklands Oils are higher in price than Mobil 1:

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-5w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart%2C-2-pack.product.100527865.html

I dont know what you mean specifically by within statistical norms....From what I saw was a full point difference in the TBN, AND around a 100ppm difference in (zinc or calcium?) If those fall within statistical norms - there's not much norms there to be had...

As far a the price of Mobil 1 vs Kirkland - you do see that the price of $29.99 is for a 2 PACK of 5qt? not 1 5qt jug like Mobil 1. Almost half price of Mobil 1

I am fairly certain the Kirkland oil is cheaper than Mobil 1, the price is for two 5qt jugs.. Mobil is that price (on sale) for six quarts, so with the Kirkland, you get four more quarts.

Kind of sad really if people are ignorant or willfully ignore the real-world and proven indicators of oil quality such as standards, approvals and certifications, and instead put technical faith in such a source as this.

Lots of folks use Amsoil Signature Series motor oil and would consider it a quality product yet it does not carry any API approvals or certifications. Does this mean that it's an infearior product? Of course not. Consumers use YouTube and blogs asking for suggestions and recommendations. If someone finds PF's videos useful then good for them.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Lots of folks use Amsoil Signature Series motor oil and would consider it a quality product yet it does not carry any API approvals or certifications. Does this mean that it's an infearior product? Of course not.

No of course not. The difference is that Amsoil is a reputable company that performs actual standardized tests to determine the properties of their motor oil. Do you think Amsoil makes their suitability claims based on a coffee pot and hot plate test? if a consumer wishes to purchase one of their oils for an application that requires a specific approval or standard you have some assurance that their claim has a valid basis.

tundraotto said:
I dont know what you mean specifically by within statistical norms....From what I saw was a full point difference in the TBN, AND around a 100ppm difference in (zinc or calcium?) If those fall within statistical norms - there's not much norms there to be had.

A point difference in TBN and a few hundred ppm of other elements is due to slight batch variations, the percentage variation of the instrumentation, and the calibration of the instrumentation before sampling is within normal variances.

As I mentioned above:

As far a the price of Mobil 1 vs Kirkland - you do see that the price of $29.99 is for a 2 PACK of 5qt? not 1 5qt jug like Mobil 1. Almost half price of Mobil 1

Yes, you are correct, I missed the Quantity verses Price differential.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by shrooms
Ken on PF spends an enormous amount of HIS time to bring to light on product performances and not just oil. He did a great vid on drill bits and blades. He's very creative and takes ZERO sponsorship. Everything he does is on HIS dime. His tests don't have to be super scientific. He's giving a much better than average idea how things work. Would any of us do what he does? I doubt that. I give the man big props.

^^^ What he wrote! ^^^

Originally Posted by kschachn
County Fair hawker demonstrations are no substitute for actual standardized tests that result in approvals, licenses and specifications.

Exactly!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Tom NJ
County Fair hawker demonstrations are no substitute for actual standardized tests that result in approvals, licenses and specifications.

Exactly!
cheers3.gif

Who said they were?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Entertaining, sure … But the best in the business get trashed here daily

That's because no math-genius oil scientist can tell your gas-only vehicle what's best for it. Yours / my vehicle engine decides that.

Best proof is major league baseball and how it's 100% currently into sabermetrics. They find the best free agents using math and the guy lands in his new city / new ballpark and bombs-out, batting only .210 and his prior top-rated defense goes south fast, because the ballpark is huge and it carries a crosswind daily.

Our engine lets us know what it likes. If we don't pay attention to it's behavior, then shame on us.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Exactly!
cheers3.gif

Who said they were?

If that's not the case then Project Farm should not waste their time making and posting videos because they are only deceiving the uninformed.

P.S. jayjr1105, Tom NJ knows what he's talking about. Just saying.

Exactly!
cheers3.gif

Who said they were?

If that's not the case then Project Farm should not waste their time making and posting videos because they are only deceiving the uninformed.

P.S. jayjr1105, Tom NJ knows what he's talking about. Just saying.

Again what harm can come from someone buying Supertech instead of Kirland.... absolutely nothing. He only tests API certified oils so who gives a $hit. Not one person on the planet had an engine blow up because they based a decision on his testing.

Last edited:
Again what harm can come from someone buying Supertech instead of Kirland.... absolutely nothing. He only tests API certified oils so who gives a $hit. Not one person on the planet had an engine blow up because they based a decision on his testing.

Seeing how no one has said anything of the sort maybe it would be best if you stick to the facts in this thread rather than resorting to profanity to try and make some point.

Seeing how no one has said anything of the sort maybe it would be best if you stick to the facts in this thread rather than resorting to profanity to try and make some point.

what harm can come from someone buying Supertech instead of Kirland.... absolutely nothing
Fact

He only tests API certified oils
Fact

Not one person on the planet had an engine blow up because they based a decision on his testing
Fact (See Fact #2 for clarification)

Last edited:
And again no one said anything to the contrary, or at least I didn't. Much ado about nothing, my comments are about the veracity of the PF video. I have made strong arguments that the video does nothing to make a technical discrimination between any oil, not just the two you mention. No one here (including you) have made any technical argument that they do. So far it's only been to argue that the video is entertainment.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
He does the same thing to both products in a controlled environment using the scientific method. The results were nearly identical for both oils which is accurate since they're the same oil. If the results would have been different, then one could assert that the data was skewed. Since it wasn"t, I say the test is legitimate.

He has no experimental controls whatsoever, he knows nothing about sample size, repeatability nor reproducibility and does no proper statistical analysis of the results.

It is so uncontrolled and so far below legitimate that it should be laughable to anyone who knows anything about testing.

But again if it is merely entertainment as everyone seems to be saying then laughable is a good attribute I guess.

This is one of my beefs with viewing anything PF. He definitely makes $$ off these vids while trying to look like a schlocky kid with a chemistry set. But also, there seem to be some running themes - like using Lucas Oil Crapilizer in everything. So, I'm guessing that he possibly does have some sponsors that perhaps he won't directly test nor divulge?

Originally Posted by shrooms
Ken on PF spends an enormous amount of HIS time to bring to light on product performances and not just oil. He did a great vid on drill bits and blades. He's very creative and takes ZERO sponsorship. Everything he does is on HIS dime. His tests don't have to be super scientific. He's giving a much better than average idea how things work. Would any of us do what he does? I doubt that. I give the man big props.

He should stick to knife blades and drill bits because motor oil testing is clearly out of his knowledge base.

And this is on his dime sure. But take a guess as to his monthly YouTube revenue. It has been discussed here in the past.

Yes, "his dime" in this context is the revenue he makes from Youtube, which is quite a lot, so the materials used in his videos are investments that pay off via subscriber revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back